12pm

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    I am not offended, and nor am I from Surrey. I was merely offering guidance to the poster, to keep him out of potential trouble with the "Offended, from Surrey" types.

I'm bummed out.

Man, what a bummer.

Y'know, just bumming about.

Oh, don't mind him, he's jut a bum.

The clear context of the word bummer used by the OP obviously has NOTHING to do with homosexuality, so mentioning that particular context is just ridiculous!
  • ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You described it as "a derogatory term for gay men".
    That's not guidance that's criticism and you're imposing your views.

Eh? It's not my view, it's a thing that I have actually heard people say as an insult.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eh? It's not my view, it's a thing that I have actually heard people say as an insult.

http://memecrunch.com/meme/I6AZ/bullshit/image.png
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member

You're going to need a bigger shovel if you're going to carry on digging.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    I'm bummed out.

Man, what a bummer.

Y'know, just bumming about.

Oh, don't mind him, he's jut a bum.

The clear context of the word bummer used by the OP obviously has NOTHING to do with homosexuality, so mentioning that particular context is just ridiculous!

Neither does when teenagers say "it's so gay that I am not allowed out tonight". They don't mean gay in the homosexual sense.

But people on the internet do get offended by this. I don't see how it is that different.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you derailed a thread by making a statement you don't support??

Anyway, do you have an answer for the OP's query?
  • 5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do not think you should be using that term in this way. As you might be aware, it is a derogatory term for gay men, and using it as a pejorative like this only enforces the idea that being gay is seen as a negative thing.

Are you for real? Words have different meanings don't you know.

Oxford dictionary: A*disappointing*or unpleasant situation or experience

Anyway, thanks for your help guys, you really helped a thicko out :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you derailed a thread by making a statement you don't support??

Anyway, do you have an answer for the OP's query?

I don't support calling people bummers. Perhaps they don't say it where any of you people live, but it was definitely used when I was a lad at school.

As for the use of the word in another context, I don't really care to be honest. I was just pointing out that perhaps some people might.

The thread was over anyway. The answer was clearly noon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neither does when teenagers say "it's so gay that I am not allowed out tonight". They don't mean gay in the homosexual sense.

But people on the internet do get offended by this. I don't see how it is that different.

And if the OP used gay, instead of bummer, you may have had a point.

There is one, albeit dated context in how the word can be used to describe a gay person.

Stop ignoring the context of it's use, it makes you look silly - the term bummer is STEEPED in history that has NOTHING to do with homosexuality. That, combined with the context it what used in make your crusade ridiculous!

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/1756/what-is-the-origin-of-the-colloquial-term-bum-meaning-a-homeless-person

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=bummer&allowed_in_frame=0
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do not think you should be using that term in this way. As you might be aware, it is a derogatory term for gay men, and using it as a pejorative like this only enforces the idea that being gay is seen as a negative thing.

Oh get over yourself please, bummer has more than one meaning as has been explained, the same as ****, to us in the UK it is a cigarette however if you should ask for one in the USA you may get some odd looks. Many words have more than one meaning and people should not always assume the worst , especially when the sentence did not in any way fit it being used as an insult.

People seem to get professionally offended to me these days, and appear to enjoy doing so.
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An elderly man said "I saw some **** in the supermarket today"

That's a bit offensive, or is it?

He continued "they were on offer and I have not had any for a long time, so I bought some." This makes the use of the word "****" completely innocent.

Instead of the above, if he had said "I looked at them disapprovingly and told them that I don't agree with their sexuality" then it would be completely different.

CONTEXT IS EVERYTHING.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    I'm not gay so i'm not particularly upset about it, but seeing it
    Then thank God the gays have you to protect them from harm.
    The thread was over anyway.

Oh! You graciously decided that for us all too! What did we all do before you came along?
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member

It has meanings that are much more common than the one you have chosen to assign to it. I'm afraid you don't get to veto the use of a word because of some spurious association you have chosen to make.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't support calling people bummers. Perhaps they don't say it where any of you people live, but it was definitely used when I was a lad at school.
    And that's enough reason for you to demand "you people" stop using it even though they don't associate it with being gay?
    Hasn't it occurred to you that your association of the word is crude and derogatory?
    As for the use of the word in another context, I don't really care to be honest
    It seems you really do.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As for the use of the word in another context, I don't really care to be honest. I was just pointing out that perhaps some people might.

The thread was over anyway. The answer was clearly noon.

Heaven help if someone walks up to you and says "can I bum a **** off you " then
  • simysimy Posts: 1,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pinkknighting
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,453
    Forum Member

Unfortunate thread derailment! I'd have thought starting a new thread on the subject would be a better option, given the amount of interest shown. Meanwhile, back on topic:
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Meridian means noon. AM, anti meridian morning before noon. PM post meridian after noon, which is mid day? .

There is a long standing and well respected convention that 12am is midnight and 12pm is noon. That's it really, do the technicalities of how and why it came about really matter?
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am flabbergasted that there are two posters on here that don't know that PM is after noon. What on earth goes on in schools these days?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Unfortunate thread derailment! I'd have thought starting a new thread on the subject would be a better option, given the amount of interest shown. Meanwhile, back on topic:

There is a long standing and well respected convention that 12am is midnight and 12pm is noon. That's it really, do the technicalities of how and why it came about really matter?

What's wrong with mentioning the technicalities? It puts it into perspective.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And if the OP was using it as an insult I'd probably be agreeing that it's wrong.

But he wasn't.
  • MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neil in the Young Ones used to say it a lot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope no one gets offended if I go on a bender tomorrow
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »

Also, it's not a convention. It's a fact.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5hane wrote: »
    Strange that they charge less for next day deliver if I order before 4pm and more if I order before 12pm. Which is why I thought perhaps 12pm might be midnight.
    Are you sure you're not mixing up 'order' and 'delivery'? i.e. order before 4pm for next-day and if you want it delivered before 12pm then that's extra...?
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,453
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Also, it's not a convention. It's a fact.

It's a convention.

http://www.rmg.co.uk/explore/astronomy-and-time/time-facts/faqs/is-noon-12-am-or-12-pm
    Is noon 12 a.m. or 12 p.m.?

12 noon is neither a.m. nor p.m. To avoid confusion, the correct designation for 12 o'clock is 12 noon or 12 midnight. Alternatively, the 24-hour clock system may be used.

The abbreviation a.m. stands for ante-meridiem (before the Sun has crossed the line) and p.m. for post-meridiem (after the Sun has crossed the line).

At 12 noon, the Sun is at its highest point in the sky and directly over the meridian. It is therefore neither 'ante-' nor 'post-'
    However, by convention, and for obvious reasons, 12 am is taken to be midnight and 12 pm as noon. As seen on any digital clock when set to 12 hour mode.
This discussion has been closed.