Options

The Reign of Terror

TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
Forum Member
I watched this recently for the first time ever,i bought the VHS release with the surviving episodes years ago but not got a chance to watch them, finally got the DVD with the missing episodes animated and i really enjoyed it.

This serial was the first story to use location filming and the locations used were simply beautiful.

http://www.doctorwholocations.net/stories/thereignofterror

lol, i loved and how you could tell that the burnbing building at the end of episode 1 was a dolls house set on fire, love it

one of the best scenes was with the doctor getting put to work with the prisoners and then tricking the guard, the doctor used his brains to get out of that situation

I thought the animation for the missing episode was very good as you can see here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io_5ZJ3n8BI

4 minutes in

any other fans of this serial

Comments

• Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hartnell was great, bashing that man over the head with a spade, swapping his own clothes for those of an officer, impersonating an officer, swindling the shopkeeper about the quality of his garb, he was very much in the forefront, and not timey wimey about it.

Story was quite enjoyable but I must check out the animation!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    Hartnell was great, bashing that man over the head with a spade, swapping his own clothes for those of an officer, impersonating an officer, swindling the shopkeeper about the quality of his garb, he was very much in the forefront, and not timey wimey about it.

those were fantastic scenes, love the way the doctor used to use his brains to get out of a situation
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    those were fantastic scenes, love the way the doctor used to use his brains to get out of a situation

Yeah, but i think it still happens today. I can't remember the exact dialogue, but for example when Eleven and the ponds get "arrested" by the crew at the start of rebel flesh, the doctor needs to use his brain and get out of the problem. He claims to be a weather inspector, but the next two lines and the expressions on cleaves and the doctors face were awesome : "I need to see your critical systems", Cleaves replies with distrust in her eyes and almost tests the Doctor by saying "Which one?" basically making out I'm not letting you see anything unless you know what it is we're hiding here, too which doctor brilliantly and simply says "you know which one". Basically he doesn't have a clue, but speaks in such a way as if to say don't mess with me, don't hide stuff from me, I'm going to sort you out, show me the stuff you're hiding. He basically forces Cleaves to show her hand in a matter of a few words, it was like watching a good Poker game.

Our maybe i just read to much into it, sigh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    Yeah, but i think it still happens today. I can't remember the exact dialogue, but for example when Eleven and the ponds get "arrested" by the crew at the start of rebel flesh, the doctor needs to use his brain and get out of the problem. He claims to be a weather inspector, but the next two lines and the expressions on cleaves and the doctors face were awesome : "I need to see your critical systems", Cleaves replies with distrust in her eyes and almost tests the Doctor by saying "Which one?" basically making out I'm not letting you see anything unless you know what it is we're hiding here, too which doctor brilliantly and simply says "you know which one". Basically he doesn't have a clue, but speaks in such a way as if to say don't mess with me, don't hide stuff from me, I'm going to sort you out, show me the stuff you're hiding. He basically forces Cleaves to show her hand in a matter of a few words, it was like watching a good Poker game.

Our maybe i just read to much into it, sigh.

im sure he still does in NuWho i just think things like the sonic screwdriver are way overused nowadays, it such a different device to when it first started out in "Fury from the Deep"