Apple cuts disc support on new macs

Comments

• TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    That couldn't be any further from the truth. As I said above, I work in a mail centre here in London and the amount of optical media we get from the likes of amazon, lovefilm rentals, play.com, zavvi etc is HUGE!!!!!!!!! We get massive containers full of media going through our hub full of music CDs, Games, DVD and Blueray. Not to mention computer software. these discs are obviously going somewhere, which means there is still big demand. It will take ages before discs are gone.

Lovefilm, Netflix, amazon and most software is available to stream or download easily enough. Even windows doesn't come on disc anymore. Is up to the user to create their own recovery discs.
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    You can buy external optical drives that will work with Macs from other companies.

We got a store that is going to open here that sells nothing but Apple products, i have no idea who they are, I think they are pretty large. I give them 12 months and it will close. they will open in the centre of town where rent and rates are still expensive. In a city with below average wages at a time when people are cutting down spending.

They may sell a few ipods and they may sell the odd mac and Ipad. May be they hope they will make money on repairs, which is sad as they put out a few local people. there are a couple of good local people that fixes MACs.

hereford is getting an apple store?
    but it will be full of locals trying to buy cider...

I miss hereford.pls send me a case load of HPA from the barrels thank you please
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tigerpaws wrote: »
    Lovefilm, Netflix, amazon and most software is available to stream or download easily enough. Even windows doesn't come on disc anymore. Is up to the user to create their own recovery discs.

If you have ever had to support someone who's almost paranoid about computing you'll know that for some people plugging in a USB drive would probably be the same level as hitting the launch all the nukes button in the white house and i can just imagine visiting family members with a disc of pictures and their face when they have to go out and buy a drive just so they can see the latest family photo's since not everyone wants to paste their life on facebook etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    But for many it is not cost effective or practical to re-download their DVD collection from iTunes (which isn't exactly renowned for delivering value for money to begin with). This is just another step towards tieing the user into Apple's services and hardware. To try and justify this as being somehow beneficial to the end user is madness, but to be expected of some people who genuinely believe Apple can do no wrong ("Ok Steve yeah you're right, I must just be holding it wrong" etc).

It is beneficial to the user if for example they would prefer a lighter lap top eg the MacBook Air or retina MacBook Pro and are willing to sacrifice having an optical drive for extra portability. If having an optical drive is important then there are other options available. Including the choice to buy a different brand.

I replaced the DVD drive in my laptop a year ago - not sure why I bothered as I haven't used it once.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know Samsung has one as I was looking in the summer when I wanted one for my Macbook Air. My local PC World didn't have one in stock. I ended up buying the official Apple one instead.

Looking for anything in Pc world is a waste of time to be honest
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I bought my Macbook Air 2 years ago, I thought I would need the external superdrive. I didn't buy one initially, but said I'd pick one up later. Two years on, I've not had a single instance where I needed one.

Our iMac has a superdrive slot and the only time it's used is once a year when my partner burns off half a dozen CDs. If we upgrade to a newer iMac in the future, he can just get a plug-in one for how often it's used!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    I wish people would give it a rest with this "sheeple" nonsense. The fact remains that optical drives are used less and less, with the increasing prevalence of digital means if delivery of software and media.

Appreciating that that is the case doesn't make someone a sheep. And the fact that some people still use them a lot doesn't change the fact that most people do not.

The reason why they are not used so much is because people are not using their computers like they used to.
    People just use them to browse the net and that is it.

The internet got a lot to answer for.
    As for the choice argument, of course people have a choice - buy a computer with or without an optical drive. Buy a computer without one, and choose to buy an external drive or not.

If most people have little or no need for one these days, I don't see why most people should have to pay for something they have little or no need for, just so that a minority don't have to buy an external drive if they need one.

i also don't see why people should have to have a external drive. We are told that machines are getting slimmer and smaller so we don't need big towers on our desks and then we have to stick another box on the desk so we can burn files DVd.

It don't make sense, the price of a optical is minimal and adds very little to the price of a computer. I can understand not having one in saw a netbook or even a net top as they are so small. But something like the Imac which got room is just a stupid idea and just Apple way of trying to get people to buy mainly useless apps from the store and Microsoft is going to same way with windows 8

when i first started to use computers and used to buy my software on tape and type some of it in, I never thought that computers would be so dumb down as they are now.
    Technology is better, but we are getting beyond computers and we will end up with units that will do what Microsoft or Apple wants them to do.
    what is the point?

i am glad i still got my desktop, I am certainly not going to follow the crowds to have a a silly tablet that is low powered and can only just about run the Os it comes with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    If you have ever had to support someone who's almost paranoid about computing you'll know that for some people plugging in a USB drive would probably be the same level as hitting the launch all the nukes button in the white house and i can just imagine visiting family members with a disc of pictures and their face when they have to go out and buy a drive just so they can see the latest family photo's since not everyone wants to paste their life on facebook etc

If they are so techno phobic why would they spend over a £1000 on a computer? Sorry maybe I'm missing your point but photos can be also viewed on a standard DVD player and viewed on the tv you don't need a computer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i also don't see why people should have to have a external drive. We are told that machines are getting slimmer and smaller so we don't need big towers on our desks and then we have to stick another box on the desk so we can burn files DVd.

It don't make sense, the price of a optical is minimal and adds very little to the price of a computer. I can understand not having one in saw a netbook or even a net top as they are so small. But something like the Imac which got room is just a stupid idea and just Apple way of trying to get people to buy mainly useless apps from the store and Microsoft is going to same way with windows 8

when i first started to use computers and used to buy my software on tape and type some of it in, I never thought that computers would be so dumb down as they are now.
    Technology is better, but we are getting beyond computers and we will end up with units that will do what Microsoft or Apple wants them to do.
    what is the point?

i am glad i still got my desktop, I am certainly not going to follow the crowds to have a a silly tablet that is low powered and can only just about run the Os it comes with.

Have you seen the new iMac? Where exactly would it fit?

A tablet isn't a replacement for a computer but for some people it meets their needs nothing wrong with a broad range of options.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they are so techno phobic why would they spend over a £1000 on a computer? Sorry maybe I'm missing your point but photos can be also viewed on a standard DVD player and viewed on the tv you don't need a computer.

Apple are seen as the "it just works" end of computing so if you have a relative who's knowledge of anything technical is "fire is hot and me not like to burn hand" then you point them at apple products as it reduces the number of calls where you spend 90% of the call doing a picard face palm
  • curiousclivecuriousclive Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    I bought an external drive for my Macbook Air, but it only cost me €79.99 from a local Apple reseller (are they also Apple churches?) So far I haven't had the men in black turtlenecks banging at the door.

80 euro for an external drive you must be mad can get DVD drives for as little as 20 euro or less to do the same thing.
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80 euro for an external drive you must be mad can get DVD drives for as little as 20 euro or less to do the same thing.
    Yep, you don't have to go to an Apple reseller to buy a compatible drive, it sounds like they saw her coming
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    scruffpot wrote: »

I miss hereford.pls send me a case load of HPA from the barrels thank you please

:D:D:D I hope they figure out the difference soon...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scruffpot wrote: »

Not a Apple store as such, but a store that sell Apple hardware, but it will not be run by Apple.

It would not surprise if the locals don't try and buy cyder from there.

How on earth can you miss Hereford? it is a dump, they now demolished our cattle market and want to build a shopping centre on it.

If you want HPA, then you can get some from Wye Valley brewery, mine is a pint of Butty Bach
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apple are seen as the "it just works" end of computing so if you have a relative who's knowledge of anything technical is "fire is hot and me not like to burn hand" then you point them at apple products as it reduces the number of calls where you spend 90% of the call doing a picard face palm

I'm not debating that point but surely they wouldn't spend that amount of cash without knowing it doesn't have an optical drive?
    Apple staff are generally pretty good at talking to customers and as their jobs are not based on commission it makes no difference to them which computer a person chooses.

When I've spoken to staff in the store the first thing they ask is what your needs are. In fact Apple staff seem only to happy to talk about the products. I struggle to believe anyone would spend upwards of £1000 on a computer without finding something out about it.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Not a Apple store as such, but a store that sell Apple hardware, but it will not be run by Apple.

It would not surprise if the locals don't try and buy cyder from there.

So basically an authorised reseller? We have those here in Ireland, we have no real stores yet. Shame :( What's the store going to be called?
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not everyone has decent speed broadband, though.

Not everyone has unlimited usage broadband (or at least a decent sized limit), though.
    It is beneficial to the user if for example they would prefer a lighter lap top eg the MacBook Air or retina MacBook Pro and are willing to sacrifice having an optical drive for extra portability. If having an optical drive is important then there are other options available. Including the choice to buy a different brand.

I replaced the DVD drive in my laptop a year ago - not sure why I bothered as I haven't used it once.

No need for the iMac to lose the optical drive just to be thinner, though... Lighter and thinner laptops make sense, but an AIO desktop? They sit on the desk, unmoving, and are used while facing the display.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So basically an authorised reseller? We have those here in Ireland, we have no real stores yet. Shame :( What's the store going to be called?

i can't remember, I was looking through the newspaper to see if I could find the article about it, but I can't.

i will pop into town over the weekend and try to remember to have a look.

I know there was a bit of a fuss because it is going to in high town, not the new part that will be built, maybe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Not everyone has decent speed broadband, though.

Not everyone has unlimited usage broadband (or at least a decent sized limit), though.

True, Before i went wireless i had pretty naff speed and other people around here had worse than me. Now we got fibre up here, but still parts of the city that don't and also what abvout people out in the sticks?
    No need for the iMac to lose the optical drive just to be thinner, though... Lighter and thinner laptops make sense, but an AIO desktop? They sit on the desk, unmoving, and are used while facing the display.

i find that with TV as well, we make the thinnest Tv we can. for what reason? Most people have them on a TV unit and they still a mile away from the wall. My plasma is slimmer than my old CRT, but i still have not reclaimed any space.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I assume they bought a computer with a hardwired keyboard and mouse:confused:

And surely people don't burn to DVD just to take pictures round someones house, isn't that what USB sticks are for.
  • ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    i can't remember, I was looking through the newspaper to see if I could find the article about it, but I can't.

i will pop into town over the weekend and try to remember to have a look.

I know there was a bit of a fuss because it is going to in high town, not the new part that will be built, maybe.

This lot by any chance? http://www.western.co.uk/ they have a nice helpful store in Oxford, and a few more to the West.
  • MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you seen the new iMac? Where exactly would it fit?

A tablet isn't a replacement for a computer but for some people it meets their needs nothing wrong with a broad range of options.

Apple and MS keep banging on about Tablets being "the way forward" however in reality they are not powerful enough for Gaming or things like Graphic Design or HD Video creation (at a reasonable speed) therefore Laptops and Desktop computers will not be dying out anytime soon.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Cloud technology allowing you to access your files from anywhere, is there any need for portable media?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    With Cloud technology allowing you to access your files from anywhere, is there any need for portable media?

All well and good till you find out that the person you want to send the files to has a 28.8k dial up modem and sending even a single photo would take him about a day to download
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    Apple and MS keep banging on about Tablets being "the way forward" however in reality they are not powerful enough for Gaming or things like Graphic Design or HD Video creation (at a reasonable speed) therefore Laptops and Desktop computers will not be dying out anytime soon.

I absolutely agree, tablets are great for consumption of a wide variety of media however I can't say they are for creation. I have found with my iPad whenever I have to do anything more than writing simple emails I'd much prefer to use the laptop.