Options

Has music gone down the tubes or have I got old?

Comments

• Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gold2040 wrote: »
    Good crack your smoking there?
    Yoda are you?
  • Options
    afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,161
    Forum Member
    i'm just waiting for the inevitable: "There's as much great music out there as ever, you just have to look harder for it".

To which the answer is: no there isn't. And why should we - if it's that good anyway it'll make the mainstream.

In the interests of balance I should say: yes, there is. And you don't even have to look hard for it. Maybe you did years ago, but in 2013 it's all there for you on a plate. Never been easier.

Is it time for me to plug my Spotify playlist again? Updated weekly, it's all the best new releases around at the moment, and guess what? All the rubbish has been pruned, so you're only left with the good stuff. Can't believe you won't find any stuff to enjoy on here, OP: www.spoti.fi/OQ15nN
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »

I think mainstream music is better than it was a couple of years ago, but worse than it was 10 years ago. 2011 was much worse than this, it was like a whole year of Eurovision.

A whole year of Eurovision? If it was as good as that I'd be very happy indeed.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    Using your logic, that would mean everything in the mainstream actually isn't crap at all. It's so good, it made it to the mainstream. So really, that would make this thread, and your post, pointless, wouldn't it?

Er no... most of the mainstream is probably not very good at all but very good things can make it in the mainstream (and always have). It's quite a simple logic to undertsand.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Er no... most of the mainstream is probably not very good at all but very good things can make it in the mainstream (and always have). It's quite a simple logic to undertsand.

You pretty much said, if it's so good why isn't in the mainstream? Meaning, what is in the mainstream was so good it made it there. If that is the case, nothing in the mainstream is crap because it is there.
  • Options
    AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I don't dance music is doing very well.

Just that rock music has fell off abit like alice cooper said recently.

I just think there is is a lose of identity in the UK especially.It like he just hang, on to yesterday than do something original.The UK has not did anything original since the 80's The Smiths and that how ironic.Or nowadays since 1996 on word it copy and fellow America.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »

The last time I read the NME I think the Arctic Monkeys were on the cover, that was about ten years ago and now they're headlining Glastonbury, doesn't sound like anyone else has come along in the meantime, and are they even any good, the debut album was but what have they done since except watch Nowhere Boy?

They've released 3 fantastic albums each one completely different to the last. Not to mention the lovely Submarine EP Alex did and his Last Shadow Puppets collaboration with Miles Kane. If the new album lives up to expectations then that's six brilliant albums in 7 years, consistent and prolific.

There's plenty of good stuff about, yeah the charts are crap but elsewhere there's good stuff.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Adamsk wrote: »
    Well I don't dance music is doing very well.

Just that rock music has fell off abit like alice cooper said recently.

I just think there is is a lose of identity in the UK especially.It like he just hang, on to yesterday than do something original.The UK has not did anything original since the 80's The Smiths and that how ironic.Or nowadays since 1996 on word it copy and fellow America.

We used to lead the world in youth movements and their associated music, I think dance music and rave culture killed it off, that was all you got on TOTP for about 10-15 years.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »

There's plenty of good stuff about, yeah the charts are crap but elsewhere there's good stuff.

There was a time when that was not the case.
    We used to lead the world in youth movements and their associated music, I think dance music and rave culture killed it off, that was all you got on TOTP for about 10-15 years.

Watching Glastonbury and T in the Park and the disco music of Calvin Harris and David Guetta, the battle is lost.
  • Options
    Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This year has been great for me but that's mostly down to the better acts of the past 10 years or so releasing new albums. Boards Of Canada, Sigur Ros, **** Buttons, Daft Punk, The Knife .....

That said I think Public Service Broadcastings new album is the only debut album from the past 12 months that has a chance of making my top 10 of the year
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I first heard that pathetic autotune treatment I thought it was a passing two-week fad. I can't believe that people are still buying processed crap from all these tone-deaf, talentless nobodies who they pluck out of the reject bins at stage schools.

Mark Riley is my saviour. He performs a similar service to the late, great John Peel, and it has to be said, with a far higher hit rate than Peel's anything goes philosophy.
  • Options
    Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    When I first heard that pathetic autotune treatment I thought it was a passing two-week fad. I can't believe that people are still buying processed crap from all these tone-deaf, talentless nobodies who they pluck out of the reject bins at stage schools.

Mark Riley is my saviour. He performs a similar service to the late, great John Peel, and it has to be said, with a far higher hit rate than Peel's anything goes philosophy.

I can't quite believe how close we were to losing 6music. It would have been a tragedy for music fans if it had gone down. Mark Riley, Mark Radcliffe, Maconie's freak zone, Guy Gravey, Don Letts, Jarvis Cocker's Sunday Service and Steve Lamacq's Roundtable are all better than anything on other stations
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    I see there's no musical snobbery here...
  • Options
    AdamDowdsAdamDowds Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's been plenty of good music released this year, which I will list right now.

Wild Nothing - Ocean Repeating (Big Eyed Girl)
    Toro y Moi - Say That
    Summer Heart - Stockholm
    White Lies - Getting Even
    ME the Band - Vampire! Vampire!
    STRFKR - Leave It All Behind
    Iron & Wine - Caught in the Briars/The Desert Babbler
    Pet Shop Boys - Vocal/Thursday
    Wonder Villains - Blonde
    Austra - Painful Like
    Tesla Boy - Broken Doll
    Max Essa - Asleep at the Wheel
    The Black Fields - Loose Arms
    Kevin Pearce - Peaceful Skies
    Bad Religion - True North
    Washed Out - Don't Give Up
    Haerts - Wings

None of those are anywhere near the charts but they are some of the best songs I've ever heard. This is already one of my favourite years since 1993 and we're only half way through. The charts aren't important to me, there's so much more to discover, old and new. Those who limit themselves just to "what's popular" are missing out on a big wide world of music. And that's sad.
  • Options
    SpencerLeveySpencerLevey Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. You're just an old bat :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AdamDowds wrote: »
    There's been plenty of good music released this year, which I will list right now.

Wild Nothing - Ocean Repeating (Big Eyed Girl)
    Toro y Moi - Say That
    Summer Heart - Stockholm
    White Lies - Getting Even
    ME the Band - Vampire! Vampire!
    STRFKR - Leave It All Behind
    Iron & Wine - Caught in the Briars/The Desert Babbler
    Pet Shop Boys - Vocal/Thursday
    Wonder Villains - Blonde
    Austra - Painful Like
    Tesla Boy - Broken Doll
    Max Essa - Asleep at the Wheel
    The Black Fields - Loose Arms
    Kevin Pearce - Peaceful Skies
    Bad Religion - True North
    Washed Out - Don't Give Up
    Haerts - Wings

None of those are anywhere near the charts but they are some of the best songs I've ever heard. This is already one of my favourite years since 1993 and we're only half way through. The charts aren't important to me, there's so much more to discover, old and new. Those who limit themselves just to "what's popular" are missing out on a big wide world of music. And that's sad.

That's simply not true for most of the posters here.
    I listen to all sorts of music outside the charts and I have done since the 70s. The point remains, which many seem to simply ignore, is the charts in the 70s for example did contain much great and diverse music, the main UK top 40 no longer contains that sort of quality and diversity. Unfortunately there are some obvious reasons for that much rehearsed on these boards.

I might add that an average edition of a 70s or 80s Peel show would have included music to eclipse most of that list. There are some good songs there but nothing terribly original. The Pet Shop Boys have been well received and will probably turn up in the charts as well. Haerts song 'Wings' is strong but if these are the best you have ever heard you need to listen to more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're still hanging on to the idea of the top 40 singles chart then I'm afraid you probably are getting old :p.

What you need to do in this (post) Internet age is to find a way of filtering the shit ton of music available to you. That means finding radio stations/websites/blogs etc. that match your taste in music.

You also need to accept that a lot of stuff won't be to your taste and that you'll find most music kind of average and nothing special. Contrary to what some people will say, this has always been the case. There was a lot of crap or average music around in the 70's/80's too, it's just that we tend to forget that stuff and remember the better stuff.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'm just waiting for the inevitable: "There's as much great music out there as ever, you just have to look harder for it".

To which the answer is: no there isn't. And why should we - if it's that good anyway it'll make the mainstream.

How does music make the mainstream if no one discovers it first?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smudged wrote: »
    If you're still hanging on to the idea of the top 40 singles chart then I'm afraid you probably are getting old :p.

What you need to do in this (post) Internet age is to find a way of filtering the shit ton of music available to you. That means finding radio stations/websites/blogs etc. that match your taste in music.

You also need to accept that a lot of stuff won't be to your taste and that you'll find most music kind of average and nothing special. Contrary to what some people will say, this has always been the case. There was a lot of crap or average music around in the 70's/80's too, it's just that we tend to forget that stuff and remember the better stuff.

I'm not sure if you read a lot of the earlier posts because a lot of this has already been covered. However, the point about filtering is a good one as I think listeners do filter their options and have become less experimental in their listening habits. That partly explains the homogeneity and conservative music you get in the charts.

Pop culture has become more fragmented in its production and consumption. Nevertheless in relation to TV productions, there is an established coalescence about the quality and popularity of The Sopranos, The Wire, Broadchurch, etc. so why should this not be so with pop music? My feeling is with the OP and there isn't quality in the pop charts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you read a lot of the earlier posts because a lot of this has already been covered. However, the point about filtering is a good one as I think listeners do filter their options and have become less experimental in their listening habits. That partly explains the homogeneity and conservative music you get in the charts.

Pop culture has become more fragmented in its production and consumption. Nevertheless in relation to TV productions, there is an established coalescence about the quality and popularity of The Sopranos, The Wire, Broadchurch, etc. so why should this not be so with pop music? My feeling is with the OP and there isn't quality in the pop charts.
    It's my own opinion so I don't need to look at other posts....and I still don't think you've grasped the point I'm making because you're still talking about pop charts. Few people care about them any more.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    . The point remains, which many seem to simply ignore, is the charts in the 70s for example did contain much great and diverse music, the main UK top 40 no longer contains that sort of quality and diversity. Unfortunately there are some obvious reasons for that much rehearsed on these boards.

exactly.... we didnt have to search for the 'good stuff', it was resprisented (at the commercial end) in the pop charts, and on radio where dj's could make a name for themselves by discovering and plugging on their show, new sounds.

IF the 'good stuff' can only be found by searching for it, music is in a piss poor state.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smudged wrote: »
    It's my own opinion so I don't need to look at other posts....and I still don't think you've grasped the point I'm making because you're still talking about pop charts. Few people care about them any more.

That's my point if you don't read the other posts you don't see how the discussion has developed and how the charts came up.

exactly.... we didnt have to search for the 'good stuff', it was resprisented (at the commercial end) in the pop charts, and on radio where dj's could make a name for themselves by discovering and plugging on their show, new sounds.

IF the 'good stuff' can only be found by searching for it, music is in a piss poor state.

Yeah, the 'younger' listeners don't seem to quite get that.
    For me the quality and diversity of music in the 70s was the best.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mumford and Sons headlining 2 festivals, crappy Jake Bugg at the same 2 as well, went through hours of highlights from Glastonbury and there was virtually nothing worth listening to, only really Kraftwerk I'd like to see at T in the Park, so the question is, is music crap these days or have I got old?

I suspect this is something that always happens. We all get older and outgrow 'popular' music.
  • Options
    SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of touch person makes a post complaining about not being in touch with music shocker!...zzz. These 'modern music is rubbish' threads are boring and just another example of why Digital Spy is such a terrible place to discuss and discover music. This music forum is easily the worst example of music out there. It is literally full of people that are either into nothing but crap chart music or old moaners complaining they hate 'new' music and how it doesn't compare to music 'in the day'. Not buying the whole 'there is more quality and diversity in my day' argument either. Being an 80's baby and growing up in the 90s and 00's there was just as much crap in the charts then as there is now. Find an honest person who grew up in the 60's, 70's etc and thy would say the same thing. There are so many genres these days and so many different sounds compared to the 70s and earlier, and the internet has made finding new and different music so much easier that I find the whole 'modern music is rubbish' argument a bad joke that's long ran it's course.

You will always be attached to the music you grew up with when you were younger, that's natural - it's up to you whether you're someone who likes to be challenged and find something new or you're happy to stagnate and whinge about modern music while you're stuck playing the same album on vinyl ad nauseaum. Either get off this forum and try harder in finding something you like because it's not likely you'll will find it on here or just accept you're just getting older and stick to listening to the same music you grew up with.
  • Options
    crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL at Space Toilets! :D Got a point though!