Options

series 8 episodes

doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,341
Forum Member
whilst only having joined the forum a month or so ago i've been reading post on it for some time and I seem to remember that in previous years by the time filming was getting underway half the titles were known and some brief descriptions of the episodes too but so far i've seen nothing this time. im guessing there's some stuff in the 'spoilers and information coming in' thread but that's so many pages that it would be a nightmare to trawl through. was hoping some kind hearted soul who is in the know would be willing to post a list of known titles and anything known about the episodes so far. pretty please:):)

Comments

• Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No episode titles known or even rumoured.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    really:o:o:(:cry: Im shocked, seems moffat and his gang are getting ever better at keeping things under wraps. are there not even any vague idea's to what any of the episodes will be about or when set?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would keep an eye on the filming thread.

Rumours about the first episode are that its set in modern day London. Another rumour said it might feature Daleks.

The Paternoster gang are definitely back in a period piece currently filming.

Ben Wheatley is directing a two parter.

Gareth Roberts is apparently writing an episode.

Tom MacCrae rumoured as well.

I am sure one of the spoiler hounds will have more.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    really:o:o:(:cry: Im shocked, seems moffat and his gang are getting ever better at keeping things under wraps. are there not even any vague idea's to what any of the episodes will be about or when set?

Rumours/spoilers only really start appearing once filming is underway and that has just started. If you want to know where/when the first episode being filmed (seemingly episode 1) is set go have a look in the Series 8 filming thread.

Titles/synopsis' don't get officially released till a lot nearer transmission though some titles are spotted earlier on actors CV's etc.

Titles can also change during/after production, last years Hide was called both Phantoms of the Hex and The Hider in the House prior to it actually being called Hide on transmission.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would keep an eye on the filming thread.

Rumours about the first episode are that its set in modern day London. Another rumour said it might feature Daleks.

The Paternoster gang are definitely back in a period piece currently filming.

Ben Wheatley is directing a two parter.

Gareth Roberts is apparently writing an episode.

Tom MacCrae rumoured as well.

I am sure one of the spoiler hounds will have more.
    will keep an eye on the filing thread, but thanks for those ittle tidbits anyway, they'll keep me going
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Ford?!

WTF?

The show needs new blood on the writing team, not the return of mediocre writers from the past.
  • Options
    Andy_Smith1Andy_Smith1 Posts: 4,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    Phil Ford?!

WTF?

The show needs new blood on the writing team, not the return of mediocre writers from the past.

why did you use the exact same comment on two threads?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why did you use the exact same comment on two threads?

Because it seemed relevant to both.

That okay with you? If not, tough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    S8 is doomed already then. Oh well. Here's to Season 9!
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    confirmed writers:
    moffat
    phil ford
    neil cross
    mark gatiss

rumoured:
    frank cottrell boyce

they are now filming ep 1, which is set in victorian london and features the clockwork robots.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    confirmed writers:
    moffat
    phil ford
    neil cross
    mark gatiss

rumoured:
    frank cottrell boyce

they are now filming ep 1, which is set in victorian london and features the clockwork robots.

Here is the full writers' list as being discussed on GB:

Moffat - Confirmed
    Phil Ford - Confirmed
    Gareth Roberts - Confirmed
    Mark Gatiss - Confirmed
    Neil Cross - Confirmed

Chris Chibnall - This series or next
    Neil Gaiman - This series or next

Jack Lothian - Rumored
    Frank Cottrell Boyce - Rumored
    Tom Macrae - Rumored (wrote one for last series)
    Amy Jump - Rumored (but maybe because her collaboration with Wheatley)

Steve Thompson - Not mentioned, but very probable
    Toby Whithouse - Not mentioned, but very probable
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Because it seemed relevant to both.

That okay with you? If not, tough.

.. Phil Ford has only written for Who once before, a joint writing credit on The Waters of Mars. I am looking forward to his first solo Who script on top of the fact Waters of Mars was 5 years ago; after quite a while away from the show it is nice to see an old face as a change of pace from the same regulars (as well as returning Neil Cross:))
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is the full writers' list as being discussed on GB:

One can hope that the actual list of names is much shorter to accommodate two-part stories.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm sure it will be; personally I don't see Gaiman having time to write for Who until series 9, which he hinted at before. Plus it depends on how many episodes Moffat is writing. Plus some of the rumoured ones aren't likely, essentially the maximum number of writers needed is 10, if they adhere to the 13 episode series' tactic of having 10 stories (as it will only be 12 episodes that may mean only 9 stories)
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure it will be; personally I don't see Gaiman having time to write for Who until series 9, which he hinted at before. Plus it depends on how many episodes Moffat is writing. Plus some of the rumoured ones aren't likely, essentially the maximum number of writers needed is 10, if they adhere to the 13 episode series' tactic of having 10 stories (as it will only be 12 episodes that may mean only 9 stories)

Neil Gaiman: "I would love to write an episode for Season 8; it may well be that I’m over in Season 9, but I promise I haven’t gone away. The idea of writing for Peter Capaldi’s Doctor is one that I find so thrilling and exciting."

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/features/guides/7096-doctor-who-series-8-news-summary
  • Options
    Forum Member

are these the clockwork robots from girl in the fireplace, because if so Im wondering how they could be a returning villain. the one's in that episode weren't even really evil, they were just doing what they thought they were supposed to.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Ford?!

WTF?

Phil Ford is brilliant! Clearly you're not familiar with his work on Sarah Jane and Wizards vs Aliens. Especially the latter where he recently really delivered the goods. :)
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    So are we getting 12 episodes this year, and the same next?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    So are we getting 12 episodes this year, and the same next?

13 episodes have been confirmed but we don't know if this includes a Christmas special. Short answer- we don't know
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we know yet, in which episode he is going to patch the phone back to the centre console? :D

Moments pause in appreciation of Handles :cry:
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Rumours/spoilers only really start appearing once filming is underway and that has just started. If you want to know where/when the first episode being filmed (seemingly episode 1) is set go have a look in the Series 8 filming thread.

Titles/synopsis' don't get officially released till a lot nearer transmission though some titles are spotted earlier on actors CV's etc.

Titles can also change during/after production, last years Hide was called both Phantoms of the Hex and The Hider in the House prior to it actually being called Hide on transmission.

Both of which sound like better titles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .. Phil Ford has only written for Who once before, a joint writing credit on The Waters of Mars. I am looking forward to his first solo Who script on top of the fact Waters of Mars was 5 years ago; after quite a while away from the show it is nice to see an old face as a change of pace from the same regulars (as well as returning Neil Cross:))

He was a lot more involved than just that one episode he has the writing credit on though (incidentaly, probably my least favourite episode of Doctor Who but there you go). Fair enough, my comment was probably an over-reaction, I'm just hoping to see some new writers confirmed. They need to unearth a big talent. Moffat is carrying too much of the weight at the moment.

Phil Ford is brilliant! Clearly you're not familiar with his work on Sarah Jane and Wizards vs Aliens. Especially the latter where he recently really delivered the goods. :)

No, I'm not familiar with it, you're right. I don't watch children's TV; I kind of have more interesting things to do.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was a lot more involved than just that one episode he has the writing credit on though (incidentaly, probably my least favourite episode of Doctor Who but there you go). Fair enough, my comment was probably an over-reaction, I'm just hoping to see some new writers confirmed. They need to unearth a big talent. Moffat is carrying too much of the weight at the moment.

No, I'm not familiar with it, you're right. I don't watch children's TV; I kind of have more interesting things to do.

I haven't. (Where's my 'Timeslip' DVD? :blush:)

Really? IMO I thought 'Waters of Mars' was far and away the best episode of the 'Specials' run. Admittedly, that isn't setting the bar very high. The only Boxset I've not bought.

Quite fond of 'The Next Doctor' as a bit of fun, though.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Like watching Doctor Who? :p

#canofworms
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't. (Where's my 'Timeslip' DVD? :blush:)

Really? IMO I thought 'Waters of Mars' was far and away the best episode of the 'Specials' run. Admittedly, that isn't setting the bar very high. The only Boxset I've not bought.

In fairness the part of it I hate is the 'Time Lord Victorious' thing, which I suppose is RTD's writing. The main Mars story is just average Doctor Who, and not greatly objectionable, although I did find the comic-book style characters to be irritating.

Like watching Doctor Who? :p

#canofworms

If you like, and I appreciate that you are playing Devil's Advocate and making a pithy remark but we both know Doctor Who is not a children's show; it's suitable for children, and that's not the same thing.

I've never really understood how adults could be bothered with shows like the Sarah Jane adventures to be honest. I don't mean that scornfully, I just genuinely don't get it. I watched a single episode of that show because it had the 11th Doctor in it and it was just... a kid's show. Nothing wrong with that but it was trite, and boring, and just unengaging to my adult mind. I don't know how anyone could sit through multiple episodes to be honest, let alone watch them all. But then, I know there are lots of adults who go to see all of these animated children's films at the cinema. I can't sit through those either.

Anyway, thread seriously derailed. Slap my wrist and continue as you were.