Options

Paternoster gang?

Comments

• Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    I assume you didn't see Name of the Doctor, do you know Clara's story of how she jumped into the Doctor's timeline? (which btw probably never happened now after Day of the Doctor) versions of Clara appeared with gang in the Christmas special "the snowmen"

Why? :confused:
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Why? :confused:

I meant Time of the Doctor, and I did mean probably
  • Options
    brouhahabrouhaha Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As with River Snore, Moffat seems determined to foist this dreadful bunch on the viewer at every opportunity. Why, God only knows. They're annoying and unfunny - and, as others have said, they're utterly pointless. They add nothing to the episodes they're in - at least, they didn't initially. Maybe they're an integral part of the plot now. I wouldn't know as it's reached the point where I have to switch off whenever they turn up. There was once a time when not watching an episode of Doctor Who was unthinkable for me; sadly, it's now a not uncommon occurrence. The sooner Moffat goes, the sooner we'll see the back of these wretched characters.
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Thank you for your wonderfully colourful opinion.

*files away under "do not read"*
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brouhaha wrote: »
    As with River Snore, Moffat seems determined to foist this dreadful bunch on the viewer at every opportunity. Why, God only knows. They're annoying and unfunny - and, as others have said, they're utterly pointless. They add nothing to the episodes they're in - at least, they didn't initially. Maybe they're an integral part of the plot now. I wouldn't know as it's reached the point where I have to switch off whenever they turn up. There was once a time when not watching an episode of Doctor Who was unthinkable for me; sadly, it's now a not uncommon occurrence. The sooner Moffat goes, the sooner we'll see the back of these wretched characters.

Sorry but many people like them so they will be back, as the saying goes, you can please some of the people some of the time, but you cant please all the people all the time! Its just the way things are!
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a fan of the Paternoster Gang - but after seeing Strax's exclusive intro at the cinema showing of Day Of The Doctor - I've fallen in love with the character!
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,483
    Forum Member
    f_196 wrote: »
    I'm a fan of the Paternoster Gang - but after seeing Strax's exclusive intro at the cinema showing of Day Of The Doctor - I've fallen in love with the character!

Yeah, it was good. "A Sontaran Guide to Cinema Etiquette". :D

A pity it didn't show up on the DVD/BDs. :(
  • Options
    BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do so hate the return of the 'Gang' I cant see why the Doctor just cant get along solving situations with just Clara. It just lessens his impact as a man who protects and saves worlds and people. How on gods earth a Sontaran and a Lizard have comfortable lives in Victorian London without a pitch fork and flaming brands in sight is beyond me.

hence the need for jenny plus Vastra normally is outside with her head covered in her veil (I soo wanted to use the word ninja mask :D)
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    They're fun characters.

We need fun characters from time to time on the show.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I meant Time of the Doctor, and I did mean probably

Why though? I can't remember why.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Why though? I can't remember why.

Since in Time of the Doctor the Doctor did not actually die on Trenzalore then there is no Tomb of the Doctor on Trenzalore for Clara and the GI to enter the Doctor's Timestream.

Time has (probably) been rewritten.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lovingituk wrote: »
    I personally cannot stand them and gutted they're going to be with PC's Doc. :(

your joking? that's bad news.i cant stand them either.strax is utterly ridiculous and not in the least bit amusing.one of moffets mistakes.
  • Options
    VopiscusVopiscus Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prompted by idle curiosity, I did a bit of online fossicking during my lunch break today, and it looks as though 13 Paternoster Row would have been commercial premises at the time that The Gang was supposed to have been in residence. It was one of a number of addresses out of which the publisher Charles H. Clarke operated until the early 1880s (his speciality was cheap fiction & trying to outrun his creditors). From 1890/91 onwards it was the office of James Carter, who published material in support of the Lowe brethren (a splinter group of the Plymouth Brethren). I don't know what happened in between, but the site is unlikely to have resembled Madam Vastra's domicile as shown on screen.

The Royal Bank of Scotland currently occupies 9-13 Paternoster Row, but this is evidently a recent building development, and I have no idea how far the address represents earlier house numbers.

In their amusing Facebook page, however, The Gang give their address with the modern postcode of EC4M 7EJ (it should be merely E.C. to remain in character historically). One can but wonder what sort of items the RBS post team is having to deal with in consequence.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vopiscus wrote: »
    Prompted by idle curiosity, I did a bit of online fossicking during my lunch break today, and it looks as though 13 Paternoster Row would have been commercial premises at the time that The Gang was supposed to have been in residence. It was one of a number of addresses out of which the publisher Charles H. Clarke operated until the early 1880s (his speciality was cheap fiction & trying to outrun his creditors). From 1890/91 onwards it was the office of James Carter, who published material in support of the Lowe brethren (a splinter group of the Plymouth Brethren). I don't know what happened in between, but the site is unlikely to have resembled Madam Vastra's domicile as shown on screen.

The Royal Bank of Scotland currently occupies 9-13 Paternoster Row, but this is evidently a recent building development, and I have no idea how far the address represents earlier house numbers.

In their amusing Facebook page, however, The Gang give their address with the modern postcode of EC4M 7EJ (it should be merely E.C. to remain in character historically). One can but wonder what sort of items the RBS post team is having to deal with in consequence.

oh lol:D I wonder who would like to be on the post staff there, now this might be happening!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I work very close to this postcode, I sometimes have lunch here:

http://www.itsu.com/locations/shops/paternoster_square_UK10.html

Its not just RBS who will be getting mail :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work very close to this postcode, I sometimes have lunch here:

http://www.itsu.com/locations/shops/paternoster_square_UK10.html

Its not just RBS who will be getting mail :)

But this is 4-6 Paternoster Row: if correspondents are remembering to use the house number 13, the post should go to RBS.

I have vague memories of an interview in the Radio Times with Rachel Stirling, about the time that Tipping the Velvet first aired, in which she revealed that when her mum (Diana Rigg) was playing Emma Peel in The Avengers, female fans used to send pubic hairs through the post.

As previously stated, one can but wonder...
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member

I don't know any particular reason why Moffat should have pitched on the name, expect that he seems to have a fondness for the trappings of Popery.
    maybe my memory isn't that good but I don't actually remember them being reffered to as 'the paternoster gang' at all in the show, and thought it was a label that had come from fan's based on their location. Before anyone say's it I know in the prequel for the snowmen a mark gattis voice over says 'the lizard lady of paternoster row' but I have no recollection of them ever actually being called the paternoster gang
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maybe my memory isn't that good but I don't actually remember them being reffered to as 'the paternoster gang' at all in the show, and thought it was a label that had come from fan's based on their location. Before anyone say's it I know in the prequel for the snowmen a mark gattis voice over says 'the lizard lady of paternoster row' but I have no recollection of them ever actually being called the paternoster gang

In that Prequel the Doctor is introduced as "the 4th member of the Paternoster Gang".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    In that Prequel the Doctor is introduced as "the 4th member of the Paternoster Gang".
    oh,will have to rewatch, although I thought it just said '4th member of the gang' and not the paternoster bit
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow, I just checked the scripts and I think you are actually right:

http://www.chakoteya.net/doctorwho/32-7.htm
    http://www.chakoteya.net/doctorwho/33-6.htm
    http://www.chakoteya.net/doctorwho/33-12.htm
    http://www.chakoteya.net/doctorwho/33-14.htm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    well i didn't think so but its being claimed that the snowman prequel did say it even though i don't remember that. does anyone have the script for that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whether or not they were referred to as "the Paternoster Gang" in the actual series, this is the term they are using in their Facebook posts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Whether or not they were referred to as "the Paternoster Gang" in the actual series, this is the term they are using in their Facebook posts.
    it was just making the point that originally someone made a post which included speculation on moffat's inspiration for the name and I was just saying that I didn't think he came up with the name as don't remember it being mentioned in the show. the facebook page thing is probably because they know that's how they have come to been known by fans now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well i didn't think so but its being claimed that the snowman prequel did say it even though i don't remember that. does anyone have the script for that

Just Watch it.

Paternoster Gang is mentioned at about 1:20 mins.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    Just Watch it.

Paternoster Gang is mentioned at about 1:20 mins.
    fair enough, i conceed. wasn't calling you a liar, just couldn't ever remember the phrase being used, but I'm wiling to admit when im wrong