Options

What next for the Daleks?

Comments

• Options
    ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shoppy wrote: »
    It wasn't, I said eveything "before Genesis" was written over ...

Genesis is set before the Dalek stories of Doctors 1, 2 and 3 but after the events of Genesis that future is altered...

Exactly, this is part of what I'm saying.

It's nothing to do with either of these, It's to do with the Dalek stories from Genesis onwards not fitting with some of the older ones.

EDIT: Check this explanation out .. http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Theory:Timeline_-_Daleks :)

...anyway this kind of deviated with what I was trying to say re: Davros...

The Dalek timeline still starts with Genesis,, and that's the first time the Doctor meets him despite being previously aware of the Daleks' existence.

...and as someone else pointed out there is an audio backstory for Davros ...

Things that occur pre-Genesis in Davros' personal timeline still stand...
    ...it's interaction with the Daleks pre-Genesis in the Doctor's timeline is re-written.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see a back story involving Davros as a walking scientist and the battle with the Thals erupting on Skaro. The Doctor might be tempted to thwart Davros and prevent the invention of the Daleks. Ohhh Lordy - it's a fixed point in time!!! Scrap that idea then. ('Fixed Points' never stopped Tennant!):D
  • Options
    MobesMobes Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    Ohhh Lordy - it's a fixed point in time!!! Scrap that idea then. ('Fixed Points' never stopped Tennant!):D

Eeeeeeeexactly. Look I don;t want to upset anyone in a major way here but it's just a really good fun TV show so I don't see the need to get too bogged down in the minutia.

The Davros back story is aching to be told on TV.

There will be a way around anything that came before.

After all there were only supposed to be 13.....
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mobes wrote: »
    Eeeeeeeexactly. Look I don;t want to upset anyone in a major way here but it's just a really good fun TV show so I don't see the need to get too bogged down in the minutia.

The Davros back story is aching to be told on TV.

There will be a way around anything that came before.

After all there were only supposed to be 13.....

Benedict Cumberbatch could play a mild mannered, humble but brilliant scientist called Dr. Marigold, who is afflicted by a skin disease and creeping paralysis.

However, as the episode goes on it turns out this scientist gets a lot of workplace bullying by the rest of the science department and it eats him up inside. To make things worse his race suffers humiliation and severe loss of men in battle due to faulty guns he created.

One day he reveals, his latest weapon and his new identity - aha you idiots, I am not Dr. Marigold, my name is Khan - err I mean Davros, and I have invented a way to save our race you fools. By then he can only move around using a super wheelchair type thing.

This story is completely my own, I did not borrow any ideas from any other sci fi franchicses :D
  • Options
    Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    A mild mannered scientist called Dave Ross surely?
  • Options
    caveatmancaveatman Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see a back story involving Davros as a walking scientist and the battle with the Thals erupting on Skaro. The Doctor might be tempted to thwart Davros and prevent the invention of the Daleks. Ohhh Lordy - it's a fixed point in time!!! Scrap that idea then. ('Fixed Points' never stopped Tennant!):D

Before the Daleks encounter Capaldi's Doctor...he receives a message from Gallifrey ordering him to meet still walking Davros, befriend him and influence his work so that it is benevolent. At all costs he must keep his identity a secret. Any time kinkscan be sorted by Time Lords later

The Doctor, undercover, finds a much more welcoming and optimistic scientist than her remembers. They get on famously. All seems to go very well. Until someone innocently uses the word Doctor in an innocent context and he momentarily thinks he has been rumbled. This unsettles him so much that Davros becomes concerned and wants to help his new friend. Things start to occur that trouble both men, rumours of dark events elsewhere on the planet filter through.

The city in which Davros works is attacked, he attempts to assist the Doctor in defending the city, using weapons that have hints of Dalek iconic design elements. Dalek ships from the future assault the makeshift fortress the lead characters are holed up in and young Davros is appalled at what he sees trundling out of the smoke and flames.

He learns he is the creator of these abominations and when the doctor refuses to kill him, he announces that he will do it himself to prevent the creation of these things. One of them fires on Davros, who is terribly injured and as he is dragged away he begs the doctor to fire on him, the Doctor refuses. Davros never finds out the man he called friend is the doctor, and his raging as he is dragged away is that not killing him to prevent him doing work he will now be brainwashed/forced into doing is not the action of a friend, but the worst kind of enemy, that comes without weapons to destroy worlds with a smile...

So, the Tom Baker first meeting with Davros can still happen, with only the future Doctor knowing it is not the first time they have met.

The Daleks ensure their own creation by being alert to the presence of the Doctor across time. In this encounter, the Doctor can only ultimately run away, having failed Gallifrey and, ironically, failed a friend who has always been his enemy in his past lives and will consider him the worst kind of betrayer should they meet again (now brainwashed with, he-lied-to-you-he-is your-worst-en-emy.

So Davros has all the hatred of the Doctor he traditionally had, but refreshed with the new motivation: you said you were my friend...

So as far as Davros is concerned, The time lords were the first aggressors and the goal of exterminating those who would exterminate the Daleks is no longer aggression, but self defence. And Capaldi (and all future Doctors) will be meeting someone they personally could have saved from becoming what he became, giving a new dynamic to interactions between Davros and The Doctor (The Doctor remembers who Davros once was, Davros re-meeting his friend and discovering that he is in fact The Doctor).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    What next for the Daleks?

A rest!
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some Silents are now under Dalek control if the papal mainframe survived and tasha could not subdue them, I'd say that's quite a formidable enemy!
  • Options
    ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    Some Silents are now under Dalek control if the papal mainframe survived and tasha could not subdue them, I'd say that's quite a formidable enemy!

Now that's a step up from Ogrons :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shoppy wrote: »
    Now that's a step up from Ogrons :)

Or pig slaves!

Was it ever explained why they had pig slaves? Did they Daleks look at the humans and think "they'd make good slaves, if only they had a bit of pig in them".
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they give up conquering the universe, go into market gardening instead, and turn out to be surprisingly good at it. the dr drops in sometimes for a cup of tea and to remenisce. occasionally they help him out and he sometimes helps them ......
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davros guests in Desert Island Disks. 6 wagner records and a bit o mozart. his luxury is a sink plunger ......
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    It might be controversial but overall I think the Daleks have been ill-served in the new series.

Of a start they are xenophobic - so it would not even occur to them as a race to create some Human/Dalek hybrid simple because it would not occur to them that there was something superior to humans that they want. So what on earth was Daleks in Manhattan about?

Take Victory of the Daleks. Again it would have said something if the Daleks had been on the other side. It would have said something about their xenophobia, just as Genesis made the same comparison.

Also hate the way they fly - not that they do. Daleks have been able to do that all along, you just could not see it. It is that they fly around like a fleet of demented fleas. I would expect them to be slower and on a platform. Probably something larger than these

A good old invasion, with them subjugating those races they conquered.

Consider free-flowing water is rare - whose to say they do not invade the earth of our oceans - after all you need water for deuterium, or heavy water.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    The trouble with designing such an evil race is they'll never live up to the expectations of them.

The Daleks are presented as completely irredeemably evil, if you ever meet one they're likely to just blow you apart immediately and ask questions afterwards.

But for a TV show, that doesn't work. So you can negotiate with them, you can survive being exterminated long enough to thwart them, they can even suddenly realise they need to team up with other species to thwart a common enemy (I had probably the biggest problem with this more than anything else they've been shown to do tbh )

So the more you show them, the more they stray away from their original concept.

But I don't care, as long as they glide around shouting through those lights, I could watch them forever!
    (Especially when they're having gossipy conversations about their leader in tunnels and turning around to check no-one is overhearing them, thought that was especially funny :p )
  • Options
    Philip_LambPhilip_Lamb Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    After handles, how long before we get a wacky Dalek sidekick?
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lii wrote: »
    Or pig slaves!

Was it ever explained why they had pig slaves? Did they Daleks look at the humans and think "they'd make good slaves, if only they had a bit of pig in them".

strangely its likely because humans and pigs are close genetically, pig organs can be used in humans something I believe cant be done with ape or monkey organs! Go figure that with evolution!
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expect we will see them soon. Daleks are his number 1 ennemy after all. Cybermen a close second. Maybe save them for the last episdoe of S8. Have an epice finale with a few hints about what might happen in the Christmas Special. Think the new doctor will really want to get stuck in fighting new and classic villains both alien and human. Bring it on!.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give them a rest. Cant new series writers have one series where they dont appear?

Even RTD had to have one scene in the specials because he thought the audience couldnt go without them!
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,340
    Forum Member
    would be nice to having another episode like series 1 episode dalek. that only featured one dalek and yet did a better job of showing how scary they can be than when their are hundreds. Would be interesting if they could do a scenario where the doctor and a lone dalek are stuck in a room alone together, but for some reason the dalek weaponry is disabled and the both of them just have to talk, and spout their bile at each other. probably couldn't fill a whole episode but would be good for a few minutes or so
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    would be nice to having another episode like series 1 episode dalek. that only featured one dalek and yet did a better job of showing how scary they can be than when their are hundreds. Would be interesting if they could do a scenario where the doctor and a lone dalek are stuck in a room alone together, but for some reason the dalek weaponry is disabled and the both of them just have to talk, and spout their bile at each other. probably couldn't fill a whole episode but would be good for a few minutes or so

But that is exactly what happened in the episode Dalek!
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,340
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    But that is exactly what happened in the episode Dalek!
    no, that was just eccleston having a quick rant and then leaving, whereas what I meant was they really get a dialogue going, delving into each other's motivation's for doing what they do, and maybe a bit of nostalgia (assuming the dalek database, had restored knowledge of all their encounters with the doctor). but obviously it would not be a nice conversation, I would imagine it going from shouting, to talking for a moment, then back to shouting, but their really exploring each other through words. imagine the dalek talking gleefully about their racially pure dream scenario and the pure anger on the doctor's face as it talked for example, then the doctor shouting it down, only for the dalek to screech about his flaws
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no, that was just eccleston having a quick rant and then leaving, whereas what I meant was they really get a dialogue going, delving into each other's motivation's for doing what they do, and maybe a bit of nostalgia (assuming the dalek database, had restored knowledge of all their encounters with the doctor). but obviously it would not be a nice conversation, I would imagine it going from shouting, to talking for a moment, then back to shouting, but their really exploring each other through words. imagine the dalek talking gleefully about their racially pure dream scenario and the pure anger on the doctor's face as it talked for example, then the doctor shouting it down, only for the dalek to screech about his flaws

Actually you do have a point the 'racially pure dream' bit from the Dalek point of view would be good to explore!
    It would show how utterly eval it is!
  • Options
    adammarc_98adammarc_98 Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    They should be left for a few years, bring back older enemies in their absence.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe the new Doctor will have a plan to knock The Daleks off their wheels.:D
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dalek civil war!!!!!

parliament daleks v rainbow daleks v DAVROS DALEKS!!!!!!

solve THAT, so-called doctor who :D