EE: The Carters aren't very bright

FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
Forum Member
Before Linda saw Dean, she was as high as a kite. Afterwards, she can't even speak. And they blame it on a hangover? Is nobody going to mention to Dean why she's been off since they 'spoke'?

Then she runs away and Nancy again blames it on a hangover.

People who have hangovers don't run away. I don't think DTC thought that one through.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    I understand where you're coming from but considering it's the first day of Linda's abnormality I think it's realistic that they wouldn't notice it straightaway. Like someone else has said on here, she was the matron of honour and it would've been natural for her to have a lot of drinks on the wedding day.

I think after the days become weeks, and Linda's behaviour doesn't really change, then we'll see more of a reaction from them. (cue Elaine :D)
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lee is certainly not bright- a huge disappointment of a character.
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    Vatican wrote: »
    I understand where you're coming from but considering it's the first day of Linda's abnormality I think it's realistic that they wouldn't notice it straightaway. Like someone else has said on here, she was the matron of honour and it would've been natural for her to have a lot of drinks on the wedding day.

I think after the days become weeks, and Linda's behaviour doesn't really change, then we'll see more of a reaction from them. (cue Elaine :D)

I agree. The scene where Lee, Johnny and Nancy were laughing at her was heart-wrenching!
  • jboy2k8jboy2k8 Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching it tonight, I thought Babe actually seemed a bit suspicious, and got me thinking maybe dye is one of the ones to uncover the truth first.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And Mick is off being agony aunt to any one who passes
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,172
    Forum Member
    Firegazer wrote: »
    Before Linda saw Dean, she was as high as a kite. Afterwards, she can't even speak. And they blame it on a hangover? Is nobody going to mention to Dean why she's been off since they 'spoke'?

People who have hangovers don't run away. I don't think DTC thought that one through.

They do if they are going to be sick or if they need fresh air.
  • LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vatican wrote: »

not even a matter of weeks, Elaine arrives next week so they do start to realise its a bit more serious soon.

as for running away from the table when you've got a hangover the sight of food can be off-putting.
  • SoggyFroggySoggyFroggy Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When she ran out during lunch, I assumed they would have thought she couldn't stomach any food with the "awful hangover" or something. I think the scenes today were very realistic. It's very easy to take the people around you for granted, especially when you see them almost 24/7. Aunt Babe isn't constantly around Linda so not surprised she noticed something was up straight away.

As someone else said on here after days/weeks i'm sure they'd notice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am around my family all the time and I think I would know the difference between a hangover and distress
  • cobiscobis Posts: 11,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a lot of Linda's distress has been hidden from her family though, they knew she had had a lot to drink so the fact that she didn't get dressed up or slouched around a bit wouldn't be unusual then she joined in with the clearing up, they weren't there to see her reaction to Dean's text and when he came into the kitchen she didn't scream at him to leave or anything, rushing away from the table could be put down to her feeling sick or needing some fresh air, so for this first day it isn't beyond belief that they wouldn't particularly notice that anything was odd, it will be when she is still subdued and jumpy for the next few days that they will know something is wrong :(
  • Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it shocking none of them notice how quiet she is and they think its a hangover no you dont act like that during a hangover. The Carters should be ashamed of themselves
  • danyelldanyell Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People in soaps don't seem to notice when their loved ones are keeping secrets and are not themselves. It really annoys me!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Linda is almost catatonic and they think she is hungover . Rolls eyes
  • cobiscobis Posts: 11,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Linda is almost catatonic and they think she is hungover . Rolls eyes

but they hardly spent any time all together that day, Mick was out and about, the kids were busy either clearing up or doing their own thing, Linda was on her own for much of the day, it was only when they sat down to eat that they saw any reaction from Linda at all and they have no reason to think it has anything to do with Dean
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's a bit harsh to be judging their reactions so soon. It's the morning after and kids do tend to be wrapped up in themselves. mick is distracted by Shirley and tina aswell.
  • Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cobis wrote: »
    a lot of Linda's distress has been hidden from her family though, they knew she had had a lot to drink so the fact that she didn't get dressed up or slouched around a bit wouldn't be unusual then she joined in with the clearing up, they weren't there to see her reaction to Dean's text and when he came into the kitchen she didn't scream at him to leave or anything, rushing away from the table could be put down to her feeling sick or needing some fresh air, so for this first day it isn't beyond belief that they wouldn't particularly notice that anything was odd, it will be when she is still subdued and jumpy for the next few days that they will know something is wrong :(
    but they hardly spent any time all together that day, Mick was out and about, the kids were busy either clearing up or doing their own thing, Linda was on her own for much of the day, it was only when they sat down to eat that they saw any reaction from Linda at all and they have no reason to think it has anything to do with Dean

I agree. The family have no reason to think anything is wrong yet. Babe seemed a bit suspicious though but Linda clammed up so she didn't pursue it.
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's entirely plausible for them to believe that she's hungover. When I'm completely smashed from the night before I'm unable to face most food, generally spaced out, unable to concentrate, and in constant need of fresh air.

The universal cure, of course, is to force a double bacon, sausage and egg bap down your neck then crack a few beers open to get a head start on the days drinking. They should have tried that with Linda, and should it fail, then they'd have a reason to suspect something was up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Babe sussed it within minutes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Babe sussed it within minutes

She suspected something was wrong but it didn't cross her mind that it had anything to do with Dean. Why should it?
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    And Mick is off being agony aunt to any one who passes

Typical of him ^_^
    I am around my family all the time and I think I would know the difference between a hangover and distress

I do agree. I thought that at the end of yesterday's episode too when Mick was asking if she'd been cleaning :confused: bizarre, and when Linda almost jumped when he hugged her, he put it down to cold hands. She was so screamingly different it felt like he was deliberately ignoring it :(
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    I agree. The family have no reason to think anything is wrong yet. Babe seemed a bit suspicious though but Linda clammed up so she didn't pursue it.

So Babe thinks it's more than just a hangover but because Linda clams up she doesn't pursue it further. This is frankly even more odd than the rest of the family not noticing that the woman is distressed not drunk.

I quite like it because it shows what a shallow selfish family they actually are. They can't really be bothered to look beyond the surface. I don't expect for a minute they should realise what has happened but for them all to dismiss it and call it as a hangover so easily when actually she is just acting completely out of character is really not very nice at all.
  • Daisy_DukeDaisy_Duke Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »

It's ridiculous. There is no way on earth that her family could mistake her clearly traumatised behaviour for a hangover. It's annoying me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Babe thinks it's more than just a hangover but because Linda clams up she doesn't pursue it further. This is frankly even more odd than the rest of the family not noticing that the woman is distressed not drunk.

I quite like it because it shows what a shallow selfish family they actually are. They can't really be bothered to look beyond the surface. I don't expect for a minute they should realise what has happened but for them all to dismiss it and call it as a hangover so easily when actually she is just acting completely out of character is really not very nice at all.

To be fair to Mick and her children they were busy and out of the house most of the time. As for Babe, she can't force Linda to confide in her if Linda doesn't want to. At least by the end of this week/beginning of next week the family begin to notice something's wrong.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    She didn't even have make up on or hair in a bun. For everyone else that's fine but Linda without those trademarks? It would be like if Dot was off her ****.

But I do like how it is showing Mick is not the great husband he has been painted as since he arrived, he just dismissed her this morning as hungover - yet if that was Shirley he'd probably be crying alongside her, begging her to talk.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She didn't even have make up on or hair in a bun. For everyone else that's fine but Linda without those trademarks? It would be like if Dot was off her ****.

Hence why they presumed she was hungover/not feeling well. She wasn't correcting them or saying any different so they're not going to assume the worst.

They'll become concerned when her behaviour continues beyond a few hours the following morning.