Options

'dance off' contradictions?

Bonnie ScotlandBonnie Scotland Posts: 2,211
Forum Member
✭✭✭
it might be in one of the other threads so apologies in advance if it is, but here's my point. this week Len and other judges said along the lines of 'based on this dance' or 'I have to base my decision on this dance' etc etc, implying it was all down to the dance off. indeed in other threads posters have been replying to folk saying 'the clue is in the phrase i.e. DANCE OFF!!'

however ... and here's the bit I might be recalling incorrectly ... in previous dance offs even in this series, have judges not said along the lines of 'basing it on the one who's progressed the most' or 'I need to base this on the one that overall shows more ability' etc etc, implying their decision wasn't purely down to the dance off.

have I got this right, or have the judges always said their decision is purely down to the dance off?

Comments

• Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The judges will always tell you they base their decisions on how the dance-off is performed, and to be honest, I think this is true.
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Len tends to stick pretty rigidly to his decision being based on the dance-off alone. The rest...wander.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    IMO, if the dance-off was based purely on the dance-off then Judy should have stayed over Sunetra and Sunetra should have stayed over Mark. The judges always change their reasoning to back up their decision. Sometimes they say it's on the dance-off, sometimes on overall performances, sometimes it's on potential. I'm not a fan of the dance-off but if we are going to have it at all then it would be nice if the judges did confine their decision to what they have just witnessed. It would make the results show far more exciting and unpredictable.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Len tends to stick to basing it on the dance off, didn't he say he'd have saved Scott based on the fact that he did more foxtrot than Alison in the DO?
  • Options
    KatenutzsKatenutzs Posts: 2,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should get rid of the DO and just go by the votes
  • Options
    JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    The judges will always tell you they base their decisions on how the dance-off is performed, and to be honest, I think this is true.

Apart from Burno on Sunday and all the other times.

It should be based on the dance on the night, otherwise there is no point in going through with the dance off. They could just say Pixie is better overall and I'm going to vote for her, but the OP is right the judges, Len less so will change the rules to suit themselves.
  • Options
    TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    Craig said a while back he'd voted for the person who had the most potential overall - can't remember which week it was though.

I do think that there is massive hypocrisy though, only last week none of the judges voted to save Sunetra over Mark and also none gave any explanation for choosing to keep Mark. The general verdict on here certainly seemed to be that Sunetra was better in the DO, I prefer Mark overall but thought Sunetra was probably better in the DO so... go figure.
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take no notice of Len .. he makes it up as he goes along. A ten is not considered perfection either now .. apparently. If he really thought Simon was the better dancer ... I'll pickle my walnuts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daziechain wrote: »
    Take no notice of Len .. he makes it up as he goes along. A ten is not considered perfection either now .. apparently. If he really thought Simon was the better dancer ... I'll pickle my walnuts.

I'm fairly sure he did think Simon was the better dancer (in the dance off). There seems to be a fair amount of people (the majority?) in the forum who would agree with him.
  • Options
    Penfolds_placePenfolds_place Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it should come down to the DO, if they are equal then they can use future potential or past dances to come to a decision. I think Len is pretty consistent in going by the DO.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    I think Len tends to stick to basing it on the dance off, didn't he say he'd have saved Scott based on the fact that he did more foxtrot than Alison in the DO?

Doesn't mean he was the better dancer. Depends how well he does those steps and what else he does. Whats there, could depend on the dance, music, or theme, and could be marked for acting, entertainment, energy, emotional content , difficulty and reflect the quality of the choregraphy. Len just has little imagination and has ended up marking an earlier version of the show.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Jethryk wrote: »
    Apart from Burno on Sunday and all the other times.

It should be based on the dance on the night, otherwise there is no point in going through with the dance off. They could just say Pixie is better overall and I'm going to vote for her, but the OP is right the judges, Len less so will change the rules to suit themselves.

Bruno neatly avoided the issue. He said he was voting for the better dancer if i recall. That form of words allows you to judge it on whats just happened, record, potential, or on who is clearly the better dancer overall. The most logical thing to do is to keep the best dancer.

They are stuck with the idea that the dance off matters - because they had to bring back the dance off - to stop the more ridiculous results of the public vote - and it has to have a purpose. The smart thing is to do a Bruno, fudge the criteria, and send the weaker dancer home. The alternative result could easily be justified on the marks given first time, and no one would argue that Pixie isn't the most capable dancer of those two.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that Len has always stayed true to the principle of the DO and made his decision on the DO performance only. It seemed to me that was very clear from his comments on Saturday when he was giving his answer.

The other judges are another matter.
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bruno neatly avoided the issue. He said he was voting for the better dancer if i recall. That form of words allows you to judge it on whats just happened, record, potential, or on who is clearly the better dancer overall. The most logical thing to do is to keep the best dancer.

They are stuck with the idea that the dance off matters - because they had to bring back the dance off - to stop the more ridiculous results of the public vote - and it has to have a purpose. The smart thing is to do a Bruno, fudge the criteria, and send the weaker dancer home. The alternative result could easily be justified on the marks given first time, and no one would argue that Pixie isn't the most capable dancer of those two.

I agree it's there to stop the best dancers going home because the public can't be trusted but they stuck to rigidly to the best in the dance off script this time which why it was the wrong decision. It's also very debatable if Simon's dad dancing was "better" as I can assure you it wasn't an as accomplished dance as Pixie's, had better music and was more crowd pleasing through ;-)

Nobody would have battered an eye-lid if Simon would have left having been in the D/O twice already. The show should have saved it's best dancer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree it's there to stop the best dancers going home because the public can't be trusted but they stuck to rigidly to the best in the dance off script this time which why it was the wrong decision. It's also very debatable if Simon's dad dancing was "better" as I can assure you it wasn't an as accomplished dance as Pixie's, had better music and was more crowd pleasing through ;-)

Nobody would have battered an eye-lid if Simon would have left having been in the D/O twice already. The show should have saved it's best dancer.

Nobody would have been surprised at all but they shouldn't change there rules to save the best dancer. The rules should be the rules and sorry but Simon danced better on the night so you can't assure me of anything, :)

There wasn't much between (although only one one dance contained 3 illegal lifts). In a way it was a brave decision to call it correctly because it has cost the show it's best dancer.

Bruno chose the dancer with overall better dance ability and said Pixie tonight stood out. It is quite a good fudge until Len spoils it with his spiel

There shouldn't be a dance off anyway when it gets to final six in my view but this would spoil the results show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    When you're judging different dances, I tend to think 'how would the other couple have done with this routine?'.

For me, Pixie would have done Simon's routine much better than he did, and for all the judges went on about Pixie's leg action being wrong, I actually thought it was a much better attempt than is usually seen. I don't think Simon would have achieved the same level of proficiency. So maybe some of the judges also think along those lines - that it's much easier to pull off a reasonable American Smooth than to make a proper attempt at dancing cha cha.
  • Options
    Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, and he was right too.
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which is why it's so interesting that without the dance off there really wasn't that much in the way of ridiculous results. Yes, there were times when the public took to a less able contestant - Julian Clary for example (although he was arguably the original journey contestant and his showdance was fabulous) - but by and large the public and the judges were not too far apart. Come the first dance off series and there is Kate Garraway merrily escaping the bottom two for weeks on end which was nothing on the series after, when Strictly officially died and the ill feeling spilled over into the next year.

The really controversial eliminations come from the Dance Off Years, not the ones without.
  • Options
    Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psapp wrote: »
    When you're judging different dances, I tend to think 'how would the other couple have done with this routine?'.

For me, Pixie would have done Simon's routine much better than he did, and for all the judges went on about Pixie's leg action being wrong, I actually thought it was a much better attempt than is usually seen. I don't think Simon would have achieved the same level of proficiency. So maybe some of the judges also think along those lines - that it's much easier to pull off a reasonable American Smooth than to make a proper attempt at dancing cha cha.

You cannot say that Pixie would have danced Simons routine better as they have a different part to play, different steps and differing technique, being male and female.
  • Options
    londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jennifer_F wrote: »
    You cannot say that Pixie would have danced Simons routine better as they have a different part to play, different steps and differing technique, being male and female.

I agree.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't watch this show much, but I saw that bit the other night. And I agree with you OP, sometimes they vote on the contestant's overall performance across the series, then for some inexplicable reason they decide that it's about the performance on the night.
    It feels like they make new rules up on the night according to who they want to save or not.

It's not just this show either, it applies to other talent shows such as The X Factor or BGT, and to an extent The Apprentice.

I think it just goes to show you to not take the judges on these shows seriously. They make things up on the night which suit them.

What I didn't like about this elimination was the way in which Len said that he will drive home with a clear conscience knowing he made the right decision.
    Something felt really off about the way that he said it. Partly it was as if he was trying to justify the decision to himself and was already on the defensive knowing that he should feel guilty, and secondly because it came across as unnecessarily harsh.
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    Which is why it's so interesting that without the dance off there really wasn't that much in the way of ridiculous results. Yes, there were times when the public took to a less able contestant - Julian Clary for example (although he was arguably the original journey contestant and his showdance was fabulous) - but by and large the public and the judges were not too far apart. Come the first dance off series and there is Kate Garraway merrily escaping the bottom two for weeks on end which was nothing on the series after, when Strictly officially died and the ill feeling spilled over into the next year.

The really controversial eliminations come from the Dance Off Years, not the ones without.

Yes, I don't quite understand what it was about Series 9 that would mean the dance-off simply had to come back. Every single eliminee was in the bottom 2 on the leaderboard the week they went out. You don't get more of a processional axeing of the worst dancers, more or less in order, in any other series, other than Series 2 which...also didn't have the dance-off.
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are a number of problems with the dance-off that are probably best dealt with by not taking it too seriously because frustration and disappointment will be inevitable lol. Strictly is, after all, little more than a glittering ball of sugary fluff.

Problems with the dance-off

(1) Inconsistency: Len said his decision was based on Simon's performance in the dance-off because that is what it has to be based on. The previous week he chose Mark over Sunetra when it was clear that she performed better in the dance-off. This suggests that Len is being far from truthful when he made that claim.

(2) How is it possible to compare two different dances with different demands on the dancers? If each couple did the same dance at least it would be obvious (most of the time) which couple performed better,

(3) It's an entertainment show not a dance-competition. Therefore previous and likely future contributions should be taken into consideration.

(4) Strictly needs to be more honest with what it is and stop using the term 'dance competition'. Not only do the producers manipulate how celebs are perceived using VTs and assigning dances to frequently awful music they know full well that if celebs were marked according to the rules for each dance there would be a backlash from the viewing public who want light entertainment and not an in-depth discussion of dance technique. A small but vocal minority want the latter perhaps this group could be better catered for by having a version of ITT on one of the BBC channels that goes into detail without the need to Strictlyfy such commentary a la Craig or Karen.
  • Options
    NosaerNosaer Posts: 3,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An excellent post Holly Berry particularly the inconsistency of judges. Nothing will convince me that Len's decision was anything other than asserting his power in retaliation for his earlier contratemps with Trent. If Trent had kowtowed to the mighty head judge and apologised and promised to be a good boy, Pixie would still be there.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I don't understand is why people are saying how hard the Cha Cha Cha it is, when for years it was the first Latin dance couples did on the show. Back then we were told the Waltz and CCC were the easiest dances to learn.

Obviously every dance is new, so it must seem hard to begin with, but now it seems what ever dance someone's favourite is doing is the hardest. :D