BBC HD (Regions)

stuharris63stuharris63 Posts: 216
Forum Member
Given that i can watch Central News in HD on ITV, why can't i still watch Midlands Today in HD?

It seems strange that ITV have the technology to do this, yet the BBC don't (or won't)!

Comments

• neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given that i can watch Central News in HD on ITV, why can't i still watch Midlands Today in HD?

It seems strange that ITV have the technology to do this, yet the BBC don't (or won't)!

Well in my area I get BBC 1 Scotland HD and its the STV west version of STV HD I get so some ads plus the local news at 6pm is from Glasgow and the west and I have to switch to the SD version of STV to get news from Edinburgh and the east.

Darren
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ITV doesn't quite have the technology as they don't do all regions in HD, only the more important ones (probably the ones with the most regional advertising). Do ITV have actual HD studios in their lesser regions? London and Manchester might

The BBC doesn't do it because of the cost and effort involved for very little gain.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However the BBC do intend to introduce English Regions in HD in the next charter period (i.e. another 2 years time!):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/aa333a07-d7a5-495c-8243-7963e8ec1225
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2017 if we're lucky.

http://www.a516digital.com/2015/05/bbc-regions-in-hd-held-back-until-new.html

Edit: Colin_London just beat me to it. 2018-19 according to that blog.
  • dachsedachse Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ITV do it but on a very limited basis. Was recently on holiday in Devon and was shocked to find ITV HD showing Central News instead of the local News that was on SD.
    Another question - Why doesn't BBC broadcast the News Channel stream on BBC 1 HD when SD shows local News in place of that stupid static notice and the sound of children playing???
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=dachse;78727660Why doesn't BBC broadcast the News Channel stream on BBC 1 HD when SD shows local News in place of that stupid static notice and the sound of children playing???[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't they need to get the opt out /opt in timings spot on?

Surely it's bad enough with the local stuff, let alone the HD feed?

What is the default anyway? I thought when a region fails to opt out, London kicks in instead.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dachse wrote: »
    Another question - Why doesn't BBC broadcast the News Channel stream on BBC 1 HD when SD shows local News in place of that stupid static notice and the sound of children playing???
    I have asked that question before or, perish the thought, that they show the London news, which has gone down like a lead balloon.
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,946
    Forum Member
    BBC One HD broadcasts the red "signpost" notice during regional opt outs to ensure that viewers are aware that regional programming is available during those periods and where to find it. If it were to show alternative programming, whether from BBC News or elsewhere, then the viewing figures for those regional programmes would inevitably suffer - which would be contrary to the BBC's aim during those periods (which is to maximise their audience).

In ITV's case its HD offering operates purely to meet the needs of/not unduly upset its main national advertisers. ITV operates four primary "macro" regions for advertising purposes - North (Granada, Yorkshire, Tyne Tees and Border), South East (Anglia and Meridian), Midwest (Central, Wales, West and Westcountry) and London. They therefore broadcast one HD variant currently for each macro region (Granada, Meridian E, Central W and London) so that you receive the HD variant for the macro region in which you live even if it is not the regional service appropriate to your specific area.

For example I live in the Tyne Tees region but receive the Granada HD service. It also explains why those in the far south west receive the Central W variant.

In due course the HD service will move closer to that operated in SD. Initially we are likely to see Wales and Yorkshire W (for Yorkshire and Tyne Tees areas) added (Wales as its programming differs more significantly from the other ITV stations and its status as a national region, Yorkshire to enable the North sub macro regions - Yorkshire and Tyne Tees, Granada and Border - to receive their own feeds). Hopefully eventually the other regions (eg Tyne Tees, West) and micro regions (eg Central E) will be added so that each SD region has a HD variant.
  • Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    What is the default anyway? I thought when a region fails to opt out, London kicks in instead.
    That was the case as 'sustaining feed' that the region opted out of was London... Now (with central code and mux) the failed opt will go to a 'suitable' near-region. (e.g. Bristol will support Plymouth failing). I'm not privvy to the full details any longer so can't give a definitive list.

The 6:30 period has a very useful set of 5.1 trails shown after a few minutes of the red screen. ;-)

The BBC would certainly be lambasted if they provided either London or Manchester (or any other region's) local news throughout England so the current way is probably considered the 'least bad' option.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »

The SD sustaining feed for Network BBC 1 is the News Channel, except during Breakfast, when it's London News.

In fact on Sunday evening BBC London failed to opt themselves out of Network, and Londoners did indeed see the News Channel on BBC 1 SD

Alternative BBC regions do not automatically appear in place of a failed opt out, the CCM centre has to 'manually' patch them in [1], so some notice of a failure to opt is required

[1] Except at Breakfast, where the studio gallery would replace London news, with SE or South should they receive enough notice, and be able to get those regions patched up to Salford.