Amy and Rory's house

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
Forum Member
am I the only one who is a little confused, Amy and Rory already have a house, at the start of TIA, so does this mean they now have 2? or the more likely explanation that somehow, in some kind of timey wimey thing, The God Complex happened before TIA??

Very confused!!!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    I was a bit confused too. The house isnt in their home town either. It is blue like the Tardis which is funny. Whatabout Rorys job?
  • alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    Im more confused about how did the doctor get it for them? how did he pay for it? did he get a survey done? was there a chain??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alienpanda wrote: »
    Im more confused about how did the doctor get it for them? how did he pay for it? did he get a survey done? was there a chain??

Hi Alienpanda - nice to meet you :)

I seem to remember the Eighth Doctor mentioning in the Big Finish EDA 'Relative Dimensions' that he was paid a salary by UNIT that he never used. He also had a credit card provided by UNIT. He did imply that he had plenty of Earth money as a result.

It's possible that the house may even belong to UNIT.
  • doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,022
    Forum Member
    Is it possible this house was the one we saw Amy & Rory in at the start of Let's Kill Hitler?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    The Doctor has an infinite supply of money; think about it. If he were to invest any amount at one period of time, he could just zip forward into the future to pick up the (much larger) product of his investment). Then take that amount and start the process again, and I'm sure you can see where this is going.

Also, I'm sure I haven't made this example up, but I can't remember where I got it from - it may not even have been Doctor Who. Hitchhikers' guide to the galaxy is most likely, I think.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    am I the only one who is a little confused, Amy and Rory already have a house, at the start of TIA, so does this mean they now have 2? or the more likely explanation that somehow, in some kind of timey wimey thing, The God Complex happened before TIA??

Very confused!!!

the next episode is meant to be set 200 years later in the Doctors timeline,so its possible that The God Complex is set before The Impossible Astronaut,as this Doctor is the Doctor that is going to his death
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the next episode is meant to be set 200 years later in the Doctors timeline,so its possible that The God Complex is set before The Impossible Astronaut

Hi Gareth :)

I read that but it's confusing.

Amy already knew River was her daughter and asked the Doctor to ask her to visit her when he next saw her. The Amy who goes to the US in TIA is already a ganger and the Real Amy pregnant with River.

Where does everything fit in?

:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Very confused!!!

They may have been renting, and then given it up to travel to the states.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I read that but it's confusing.

Amy already knew River was her daughter and asked the Doctor to ask her to visit her when he next saw her. The Amy who goes to the US in TIA is already a ganger and the Real Amy pregnant with River.

Where does everything fit in?

:confused:

we can only assume that its before The Impossible Astronaut in the Doctors Timeline only
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we can only assume that its before The Impossible Astronaut in the Doctors Timeline only

Thank you :) That helps. :)
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doublefour wrote: »
    Is it possible this house was the one we saw Amy & Rory in at the start of Let's Kill Hitler?

Do you mean the start of The Impossible Astronaut? We didn't see present Amy and Rory in a house in LKH.

I don't think they're the same houses, the house at the end of The God Complex was a present to an Amy who already knew River was her daughter. In TIA she'd only just found out she was pregnant.

My guess is they began renting a house during their time back on Earth between A Christmas Carol and TIA, as I can't see how they would have been able to afford their own house!
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't it possible that that is the house that was in The Impossible Astronaut? :confused:
    That's what I assumed
    We didn't see the outside of the their house in TIA.
    Even if it isn't, the Doctor had left them after the events of A Good Man Goes to War so they may well have bought a new house.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... and Amy was last seen looking out of the window ...
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't it possible that that is the house that was in The Impossible Astronaut? :confused:
    That's what I assumed
    Even if it isn't, the Doctor had left them after the events of A Good Man Goes to War so they may well have bought a new house.

That doesn't change the fact that Amy was pregnant with Melody/River in The Impossible Astronaut and in The God Complex she knew about River being her daughter....

It's possible they could have bought a house after AGMGTW (although I don't see how they would have the money to do so!), but then why would the Doctor need to give them their own house keys, as he did in The God Complex?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That doesn't change the fact that Amy was pregnant with Melody/River in The Impossible Astronaut and in The God Complex she knew about River being her daughter....

It's possible they could have bought a house after AGMGTW (although I don't see how they would have the money to do so!), but then why would the Doctor need to give them their own house keys, as he did in The God Complex?

Yes, she was pregnant in in The Impossible Astronaut, then she gave birth in AGMGTW, so at the end of the God Complex, she knew River was her daughter.
    It's not very complicated. It's in chronological order
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    That's what I assumed

We did see the outside but from the inside we saw that it had a glass door and a window to the right of it - the house in TGC had a wooden door and a window the would be to the left (looking outwards).

I couldn't be the back door as we saw out of that and there were brick-built houses and a street corner in TIA - in TGC there were painted terrace houses in a single row.

My gut says the Doctor hasn't given them a house and car so much as hidden them away or put them somewhere he knows is safe.

I wouldn't even bank on that really being Earth - especially as it came at the end of an episode set entirely in a holodeck and the whole set-up looked like their personal fantasy - nice house on a Georgian crescent for Amy and a pristine E-type for Rory.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We did see the outside but from the inside we saw that it had a glass door and a window to the right of it - the house in TGC had a wooden door and a window the would be to the left (looking outwards).

I couldn't be the back door as we saw out of that and there were brick-built houses and a street corner in TIA - in TGC there were painted terrace houses in a single row.

My gut says the Doctor hasn't given them a house and car so much as hidden them away or put them somewhere he knows is safe.

I wouldn't even bank on that really being Earth - especially as it came at the end of an episode set entirely in a holodeck and the whole set-up looked like their personal fantasy - nice house on a Georgian crescent for Amy and a pristine E-type for Rory
    Ah. You've got it! :) Yes, they are somewhere safe whilst something else happens that would have endangered them.
    And Amy sits looking out of the window ...
    Forum Member
    k9fan wrote: »
    Ah. You've got it! :) Yes, they are somewhere safe whilst something else happens that would have endangered them.
    And Amy sits looking out of the window ...

I suggested elsewhere (it get's confusing when these things get spread across different threads) that there may be another Amy and Rory in Leadworth - perhaps Gangers.

That might help with their protection (and let "Rory" keep his job) or it might help if they were programmed to "mourn his death" since we haven't seen anything of the series villains since LKH - the Doctor could be flying off-radar if the badguys think he's dead.

Out of interest and possibly related - didn't they take River to Amy's old bedroom (in her parents house) at the end of LKH?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wouldn't even bank on that really being Earth - especially as it came at the end of an episode set entirely in a holodeck and the whole set-up looked like their personal fantasy - nice house on a Georgian crescent for Amy and a pristine E-type for Rory.

Dear god I think you've cracked it! It makes total sense....we're all wondering how he got the ideal things, maybe because of the whole holodeck thing.

It would just make perfect sense

Though I just want to chuck in, I think THIS doctor is the one who is in TIA, he's the one who gets shot, the future doctor. BUT it's the past Amy/Rory etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people are looking into this too much.
    It's a house. On Earth. Where they live.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re-watched it today: it's definitely a new house given to them as a gift by the doctor. It may be in a different town to leadworth, but we have no way of knowing if Amy and Rory even remained living in leadworth at the beginning of this series. As they also spent months running around north america trying to combat the silence, its probable that any commitment they had to any property in the UK - whether rent or motgage - was also forfeit during that period.

Those suffering timeline confusion: these events come between the two incarnations of the doctor that we see in the impossible astronaut - from the doctor's perspective, as things stand: doctor meets Amy and Rory in the states and battles the silence, then they go see the space pirates, meet idris, visit the flesh, etc through to the events of last night's program, then the rest of the series happens, and then he gets shot on the beach of that lake in utah. The events of last nights show are the most recent events we have seen from Amy and Rory's timeline.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I think people are over examining this. The house is the same one from the Impossible Astronaut. The car was the gift.

When they exited the Tardis and Rory went into the house he came out with three glasses and a bottle of what I can only guess was champagne. Why would he do that if it was not their own house unless we are saying that the Doctor popped into the local Tesco to do some shopping for them! :p Plus they seemed to know where they were when the Tardis landed.

In the case of time lines they would have landed after the events of The Impossible Astronaut for Amy and Rory but there is still another 200 years (give or take) until the Doctor catches up and meets his death.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people are over examining this. The house is the same one from the Impossible Astronaut. The car was the gift.

When they exited the Tardis and Rory went into the house he came out with three glasses and a bottle of what I can only guess was champagne. Why would he do that if it was not their own house unless we are saying that the Doctor popped into the local Tesco to do some shopping for them! :p Plus they seemed to know where they were when the Tardis landed.

In the case of time lines they would have landed after the events of The Impossible Astronaut for Amy and Rory but there is still another 200 years (give or take) until the Doctor catches up and meets his death.

I agree.
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member

justed checked and the door on the house from IA is not blue and is white door so no there not the same.

It also looks like completely different place.
    Forum Member
    I think people are over examining this. The house is the same one from the Impossible Astronaut.

No - it really isn't.

As explained previously - we saw both the door and the view out of the door in TIA and it is not the same building or location plus the Doctor gave Amy the keys to this new house just before he gave Rory the keys to the car.

Incidentally - that's the third car Rory's had. He started out with a red Mini, then a yellow Mini. Hope he can afford the insurance on that Jag - and the petrol since that's a 4.2 which does about 21mpg.