How can C4 show slumdog millionaire so soon?

VegetaVegeta Posts: 613
Forum Member
✭✭
It was relaesed in the cinema about a year ago I think, and was relased on dvd over few months ago. From what I know most films take about 3 years before they show on TV.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    I think they partly funded the film which may be the reason?
  • eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it was partially financed by Ch4 so it gets priority TV screening. Same with The Queen which was shown by ITV and some films made by BBC films.
  • Manic MinerManic Miner Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could be wrong but I think its the same deal with Babestation and Avatar
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a part Film Four production, i believe.
  • hurrikane313hurrikane313 Posts: 2,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, same deal as with Four weddings years ago, which aired on Channel 4 only a month after its cinematic release. Channel 4 were one of the production companies on the film so they get to air it whenever they want, as they own the rights.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    is anybody even going to watch it.???? am pretty sure the whole of the uk has seen it already.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    I've already got it on dvd, so I probably won't watch it. Plus when films are shown on tv, a lot of the footage is edited out.
  • SmintSmint Posts: 4,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen it, so I'll be watching it
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could be wrong but I think its the same deal with Babestation and Avatar

:D I'll be switching channels if they start showing silly sci fi movies on there.
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is anybody even going to watch it.???? am pretty sure the whole of the uk has seen it already.

I haven't. Is it worth seeing?
  • jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    They've lost out on a great deal of money,by not flogging it to sky first.

I remember Five showing Terminator 3 only a year after it's release,but they probably paid a fortune for the rights.
  • Willie WontieWillie Wontie Posts: 2,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

...whereas I don't know anybody who has seen it. Or indeed anybody who wants to see it.
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Yep, same deal as with Four weddings years ago, which aired on Channel 4 only a month after its cinematic release. Channel 4 were one of the production companies on the film so they get to air it whenever they want, as they own the rights.

It certainly did not. Four weddings was released in May 1994 and then to rent in November 1994 and to buy in April 1995.I think it premiered on C4 around November 1995 about 18 months after cinema release.

But back on topic im suprrised Slumdog millionaire didnt have to air on Filmfour first before C4 could show it.
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's got quite a good song at the end, that's all I remember ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    googleking wrote: »
    It's got quite a good song at the end, that's all I remember ;)

The kids at the beginning are great, and like you say its a great tune at the end. You can have a snooze in the 2nd part of the film and not miss too much.
  • SamGamgeeSamGamgee Posts: 1,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On watching for a 2nd time..definitely the best film of 2009..superb stuff
  • ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamGamgee wrote: »
    On watching for a 2nd time..definitely the best film of 2009..superb stuff
    I've just watched it for the first time.

I won't watch it again.

I found it too violent, upsetting and disturbing. It wasn't what I expected.

It's put me right off ever going to India!.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Artymags wrote: »
    I've just watched it for the first time.

I won't watch it again.

I found it too violent, upsetting and disturbing. It wasn't what I expected.

It's put me right off ever going to India!.

" Feel Good Movie Of The Year" hoho :D
  • ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    " Feel Good Movie Of The Year" hoho :D

Is that REALLY how it's been described?:eek:

It's going to give me nightmares!
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a great film, very engaging, but not exactly the "feel good" family fun it had been promoted as!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the screen writing for the film, it was beautifully paced and also the camera work at times was superb especially the scenes in the slums!

Great film, deserved all the plaudits!
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vegeta wrote: »
    It was relaesed in the cinema about a year ago I think, and was relased on dvd over few months ago. From what I know most films take about 3 years before they show on TV.

It's a C4 film.

I bet they were planning to screen it at this time all along, but they probably never envisaged that it would become as huge as it did.
  • sickparrotsickparrot Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it, I'd love to visit India and this didn't put me off at all. The only thing I didn't like was the occasional 'stuttering' scene (looks like slo-mo but isn't), it might be arty but it's annoying as hell.
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The kids at the beginning were good little actors - especially the boys - but missed most of the accompanying subtiltles (and therefore the dialogue) as they were so tiny.

Didn't think the adults were all that, tbh.
  • scorpio20080scorpio20080 Posts: 2,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think C4 is showing a lot of Indian movies this week as part of its Indian Winter season. I think there's a programme on today about the slums of India and a couple of movies over the next few days after 10:00pm.

Although I do agree that Slumdog Millionaire wasnt exactly a feel good movie. Some of the scenes were quite disturbing!:eek: