Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bad person that I am, I am hoping for another Great Chicken Massacre :o

Yep and the obnoxious types getting "the smackdown" from MRJ
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lovely to see Monica back, she scares the living daylights out of me, but I think she's fantastic. And the lovely, lovely Mr Roux Jnr *le sigh*

Bad person that I am, I am hoping for another Great Chicken Massacre :o

I seem to recall another basic test (I think it was pancakes )but one chef managed to make something more akin to an omelette. Or possibly it was the other way round and the omelette turned out like a pancake - I just know I cried with laughter. :o
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep and the obnoxious types getting "the smackdown" from MRJ

I'm looking forward to Monica giving one of her 'looks'.
  • Options
    John.DitchfieldJohn.Ditchfield Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to Monica giving one of her 'looks'.

Oh yes, her "face that can curdle milk" stares with music added for dramatic effect

At least Shrek isnt seen very much when they do "the pro kitchen" I hope Richard Corrigan is involved

And what would the series be without an audience with
    M R S (Michel Roux Snr) who is a god among chefs
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last years Master Chef: The Professionals was pretty much cult viewing for me, mainly due to Michel {sp?) Roux Jnrs insane facial expressions and serial killer glaring eyes.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    They are starting with a chicken skills test, but not quite the same as last year. On Thursday 'the four remaining chefs must then cook their own two-course menu for some of the UK's harshest food critics.' Is that code for Billy Bunter, horse face and Jay Raynor or have they got new critics?
  • Options
    CarmanCarman Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    On Thursday 'the four remaining chefs must then cook their own two-course menu for some of the UK's harshest food critics.'

I think that's Wednesday, it's not on on Thursday
  • Options
    MariaellaMariaella Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this. Enjoyed last year, especially the round where the young chefs recreated Michel's classic recipes. Entertaining and an education in itself.
  • Options
    John.DitchfieldJohn.Ditchfield Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    They are starting with a chicken skills test, but not quite the same as last year. On Thursday 'the four remaining chefs must then cook their own two-course menu for some of the UK's harshest food critics.' Is that code for Billy Bunter, horse face and Jay Raynor or have they got new critics?

They always have Peter Griffin Sourpuss & Jay Beardo normally but last year they had some blokey who was a bit "Dale Winton":D
  • Options
    RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Masterchef::The Professionals

Thank you for the reminder. I didn't know it was on this coming week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    I'm pleased to see we haven't got stupid 45 minute split programmes this time.

It looks as if the pattern is one first round (4 down to 2) on Mondays, two on Tuesdays, and a one hour quarter final on Wednesdays (6 down to 2).

Here is this weeks ( from http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00mx9xb/episodes/upcoming ):

Today: Each chef must demonstrate they have the necessary skills and palate by trussing a chicken, removing the liver and cooking it in a cream and madeira sauce.

Michel cooks a classic recipe of cardoon gratin with bone marrow before asking them to recreate the dish in just 60 minutes.

Tues: The first four contestants must demonstrate they have the necessary skills and palate by preparing and cooking wild mushrooms, while the second four must correctly fillet and cook fresh sardines.

Michel cooks a classic recipe of Dover sole with prawns, oysters and a cream sauce, before asking three of the chefs to recreate the dish in just 60 minutes, while the remaining three must recreate a classic bitter orange tart with orange sauce.

Wed: It is the quarter-final, and six successful chefs must first show Michel and Gregg they have the necessary skills and palate by cooking a dish of their own invention. At the end of this first round, two of the contestants will be going home.

The four remaining chefs must then cook their own two-course menu for some of the UK's harshest food critics.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but WTF is the 'classic recipe of cardoon gratin with bone marrow'.

I'm either suffering greatly from a lack of culinary education or that is a severe stretch of the word 'classic'.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    isopap wrote: »
    Sorry but WTF is the 'classic recipe of cardoon gratin with bone marrow'.

I'm either suffering greatly from a lack of culinary education or that is a severe stretch of the word 'classic'.

I'm not entirely sure what a cardoon is :o

Thought it was a big buffalo type thing, but that's a carabao :o:o:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Try:

"The best known regional vegetable in Savoy is the cardoon, a member of the artichoke family. Its stalks are used in gratins or prepared with marrow, particularly in December. Fans of this vegetable will tell you that they should be thorny, picked after the first frosts and then set aside in a dark place to turn white":

http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/recipes/cardoon-gratin/

or

"This classic cardoon gratin is a traditional part of the Provençal Christmas Eve feast":

http://www.frenchgardening.com/cuisine.html?pid=1191919880216879
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D

Any news on how many episodes in total?

I hope its LOADS!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    According to radiotimes.com there are 18 episodes - last year there were 29.

In the first round last year there were 4 programmes each producing one quarter finalist. That gave 5 programmes a week for 4 weeks.

This year we have 2 programmes, one being a double, producing 3x2 quarter finalists. If that is also for 4 weeks that explains 8 of the shortfall. The remaining 3 could be double programmes but we must wait to find out.
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nail.
    On.
    Head.

If you went into Gordon Ramsays for example, then started to complain "my main is 2 minutes late now", I reckon he'd come out to see you and tell you "your ****ing main dish, will be ****ing ready, when I ****ing decide it is!".

It's a timed challenge, it's not cooking in a restaurant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sharw wrote: »
    Try:

"The best known regional vegetable in Savoy is the cardoon, a member of the artichoke family. Its stalks are used in gratins or prepared with marrow, particularly in December. Fans of this vegetable will tell you that they should be thorny, picked after the first frosts and then set aside in a dark place to turn white":

http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/recipes/cardoon-gratin/

or

"This classic cardoon gratin is a traditional part of the Provençal Christmas Eve feast":

http://www.frenchgardening.com/cuisine.html?pid=1191919880216879

Thanks for the info.

Must admit that I'm surprised to find that the best known vegetable from the region of Savoy isn't the cabbage
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not entirely sure what a cardoon is :o

Thought it was a big buffalo type thing, but that's a carabao :o:o:o

i grow cardoons, they are like artichokes, i dont eat them but grow the flowers for the bees :)
  • Options
    CheapthrillsCheapthrills Posts: 2,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iamsofired wrote: »
    I quite like masterchef but being easily irritated the following things really get on my nerves.

1. heariing Greg go on about "big flavours" or "being passionate about food"

2, the female narrator who talks in the most inexplicable way possible

3. Greg looking nervously at his watch or shaking his head everytime someone doesnt quite finish on time - who cares if its 1 minute late..

I know what you mean, the opening segue/cedits with soundbytes drives me insane. I've started watchign it only on iplayer so i can skip that part.
  • Options
    Gemo52Gemo52 Posts: 128,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to it.
  • Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    Much as I respect Michel Le Roux, suave he aint.

Disagree, suave is exactly what I'd call him.
  • Options
    britchick_99702britchick_99702 Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    parthy wrote: »
    Disagree, suave is exactly what I'd call him.

I've met the man when I was lucky enough to eat in his fantastic restaurant "Le Gavroche". He VERY much is suave:o
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    I've met the man when I was lucky enough to eat in his fantastic restaurant "Le Gavroche". He VERY much is suave:o

*Turns green with envy* :o
This discussion has been closed.