Do you cringe for poor old Harry Hill at the standard of his show now?

Comments

• davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    *Bump*
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    It was once a dialogue-based show ironically.

Now it's gimmicks, props and juvenile running around like a cheap panto.

As others have said, you completely hit the nail on the head.
  • slapmattslapmatt Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's still the only programme on ITV1 worth watching
  • maryCPRmaryCPR Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    good thread and cant help but agree with most comments. I hate to say it as I thought the show was brilliant and unmissable for a long while but the last couple of series have been pretty dire with just the odd laugh here and there rather than brilliant the whole way through as once it was.

The show was at its best when it was witty and clever observations of the ridiculousness of much of tv-now it seems they cant be bothered to go through hours of tv looking so are filling up time with all these repetitive and often very unfunny sketches and studio play. Are they now aiming the show at a much younger audience hence some of the childish stuff? They just seem to be knocking out the episodes now-something that happens to most programmes particularly when they have been over-indulged with high praise with the inevitable consequence that 'everything we do must be funny,the audience loves us'.
    go back to basics or end it would be my opinion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    It's not quite like it was, maybe... I don't think there'll ever be another Nail Bar, which was my favourite running joke of his.

But it's still one of the funniest things on TV at the moment, I think...
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well said
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with some of the comments here, the show has hit rock bottom. Shame really as it *was* the only decent thing on ITV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Different tastes I guess but I've been re-watching the 2006 series and I don't think anything has really changed. :confused: (If you go back further you will find a few things that he doesn't do now but those are clearly timeslot problems ;) )

slapmatt wrote: »

I used to agree. After Downton Abbey I don't!
  • currykevcurrykev Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harry hasn't become less funny.
    It's that we're becoming more jaded, now the Tory's are back in. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wagbo thing I just don't get at all, even the puppet thing last series I didn't get either, the show has just got sloppy, like they can't be bothered with it, like they want it axed.

I'm sure Harry was making a soap style show for ITV1, haven't heard anything about it in a longtime. perhaps his focus is all on the new show???

It's a shame as TV Burp was one of the funniest shows on ITV infact TV as a whole.
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slapmatt wrote: »

That is true.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

cmc 42 wrote: »
    Different tastes I guess but I've been re-watching the 2006 series and I don't think anything has really changed. :confused: (If you go back further you will find a few things that he doesn't do now but those are clearly timeslot problems ;) )

I used to agree. After Downton Abbey I don't!
    It has changed. It used to be more clip quip based instead of studio sketches.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the quality of this show started to decline when the Knitted Character was introduced.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree with what most are saying. The observational stuff with tv clips is what it should be all about and stop with all the rest of the nonsense.

I don't see why they need these long running gimmicks, the whole X Factor thing with the knitted characters last series, the bloke who's supposed to be Heather from EE, and now this stupid Wagbo nonsense.

I've never liked the 'fight' part of it but that's a tradition I suppose, but there's just too much stupid stuff and not enough of the witty observations like there used to be.

They need to realise that the strength of the show is it being about OTHER shows, not trying to make more of the show itself.
    Forum Member
    Really poor tonight. The Steel Drum bit went on for far too long, and I could see the fight coming a mile off :(
    Forum Member
    Wagbo segment - I wish someone would stop TV Burp before it digs itself into the ground.
  • Drew_MDrew_M Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After a bit of an improvement last week, it was back to being pretty poor again tonight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing I'm really not keen on is the gross "Heather" appearances.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I missed TV Burp again for only the second time in my life-the first being the week before last, although I watched last week and it seemed to have improved a little on the general standard of late. Basically, I had something better to do-yet the idea of having something 'better to do' than watch TV Burp, when it was on, would simply not have occurred to me, at one time, which says something about the direction the show has taken.
  • Brian ReynoldsBrian Reynolds Posts: 1,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harry Hill is a lot funnier than some of his material. I can't help feeling a little embarrassed for him, as he's clearly doing his best with clips that he probably knows are not funny.
  • parsleyisfunparsleyisfun Posts: 4,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the Wagbo thing... Mary Byrne was referred to as "NuBo" for a few weeks earlier on in the x factor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    Yoshi Fan wrote: »
    Not exactly cringe, no. As I said in the main thread, it's a pity he overdid the studio comedy on Saturday's episode, because some of his observational comments were the best in a long time. He needs to cut down the studio gags and focus more on the witty comments on the week's TV. That's what he does best, that's what the show should be about.:)

Incidentally, does ANYBODY actually like Wagbo? Has to be his worst sketch ever...nobody I know actually finds it remotely funny.:o

Agree with everything you said there. I used to love TVB and hated missing it but now I don't even turn it on. I;m waiting for the studio gags(??) to disappear.
  • Ant LAnt L Posts: 2,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love TV Burp - I could actually go as far to say that it was better than some of the TV shows he was mocking. But, as a few others have said, it's become far too sketch-based in recent years. The singing bit at the end is so cringy.

Saying that, I'll still watch it if nothing else is on. It's just not appointment-to-view anymore.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must watch for me. Always a good laugh! :D
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the quality of this show started to decline when the Knitted Character was introduced.

I'd say it was in decline quite a while before that.

It used to be that Harry would 'walk into the scene' once in a while as a punchline and it was a novelty. For at least the last 3 series it's been used as a crutch in place of jokes, along with lame prop gags.