Options

What does the average 25 year old look like?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Mad_Dog1Mad_Dog1 Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As an 18 year old I've never been IDed in asda, although I've only bought booze a couple of times there/at all. I think you might be over worrying about it here.
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    Mad_Dog1 wrote: »
    As an 18 year old I've never been IDed in asda, although I've only bought booze a couple of times there/at all. I think you might be over worrying about it here.

I was IDed when I was 17, but not again till I was about 24.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Unless Scotland have changed their laws I can see that coming up against a legal challenge from somebody who gets fined or loses their job because of this.

The premises may be running Challenge 25, but there is no law restricting the sale of alcohol to people aged 18-25.

Given that how somebody looks is also entirely subjective, this seems like a real non-starter from a legal perspective.

This 'extra' law in Scotland is for licensed premises to have a Challenge 25 policy in place, it is silent on exactly what that policy should be and how it should be implemented. So the 'test' purchaser sent in would be either the shop itself testing the skills of their staff (no legal force), or licensing officials testing to see if there was an effective policy in place.

I don't think there would be much of a problem with a one-off 23 year old not being ID'd if the assistant really thought he/she was 25+ as long as it was otherwise obvious that the policy was in place (signage, how they handled other customers etc.). But if the test customer was say 18 as mentioned by that website, that could be evidence that the shop was not implementing and monitoring its supposed policy properly and it (the shop) could be in trouble.

But either way, the assistant who sold to a 23 y/o without asking for ID might get a bollocking from the shop manager and if they kept on doing it, could be disciplined or fired IMO, but not prosecuted unless they sold to an under 18 y/o. And if the shop was deemed not to have an adequate policy, it could lose its licence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I've worked behind a bar before and it can be hard to know when to ask for ID but as a general rule I'd ask anybody who looks under 30, if anything it's kind of flattering to be asked for ID. I'm in my late 20's and still get asked for ID, it doesn't bother me.
  • Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Unless Scotland have changed their laws I can see that coming up against a legal challenge from somebody who gets fined or loses their job because of this.

The premises may be running Challenge 25, but there is no law restricting the sale of alcohol to people aged 18-25.

Given that how somebody looks is also entirely subjective, this seems like a real non-starter from a legal perspective.

It has been passed as legal law every place must be running a scheme where the minimum is 25. I don't agree with places getting fined for serving someone perfectly legally but Alex Salmond does not see logic. This is covered in the 2010 amendment of the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005. Scotland in general seems to be more strict on alcohol in general than England and Wales with drink deals in supermarkets banned, 72 hour laws in Nightclubs (discount card cannot be used until 72 hours after purchase) and minimum drinking laws coming in soon. There also appears to be a law preventing restaurants to give alcohol out for free for mothers day etc which can be done in England and Wales.

If a retailer had their licence terminated and took it to court they would lose their case even though they had legally sold alcohol to customers. The Scottish Government are very strict on alcohol, I wouldn't be surprised if Salmond was teetotal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they will generally send in people under age. I refused a girl cigarettes years ago, the boy I worked with said I was out of order as she was clearly 16 as she was "fit". she then went to his till and got served, the lady behind her was trading standards who sent her in. It was quite funny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am not actually worried about any of these and I as I will be getting trained. I also know who to ID and who not to. The only thing I am worried about is the relatively new thing that supermarkets have been introducing which is basically to buy alcohol you need to not only ID the person but also the people who are with them to so basically if you have kids with you then you can not buy alcohol with them there. Wonder what reception that will bring.

I have never been ID'd at restaurants probably because 16 and overs can buy Beer, Wine or Cider if they are having a meal and in Scotland you don't have to be accompanied by someone over 18. I got a free drink before though, good thing the licence authorities did not find out about that as it is not allowed.
  • Options
    topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our local co-op IDs everyone. I have seen them ID some really elderly people.

If you're not sure, ID.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No wonder so many kids in Scotland are on smack if they can't buy alcohol until they're 25.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't worry about people shouting abuse at you - I got asked for ID yesterday & it was the nicest thing anyone had said to me all day! I almost skipped home :D (I'm 32!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    No wonder so many kids in Scotland are on smack if they can't buy alcohol until they're 25.

Not sure if serious? :p:cry::(:D (Mixed Emotions)
  • Options
    dale0693dale0693 Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 20 and I once got ID'd for buying Pepsi at a pub but the woman who served me was probably as old as my grandma, But other people have asked me my age as well even when I'm not getting ID'd, When I have conversations with random people they seem sometimes ask me if I'm at school but I haven't been asked since last year so I think people guess my age at 16/17 before I tell them my real age
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bump....
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    I am not actually worried about any of these and I as I will be getting trained. I also know who to ID and who not to. The only thing I am worried about is the relatively new thing that supermarkets have been introducing which is basically to buy alcohol you need to not only ID the person but also the people who are with them to so basically if you have kids with you then you can not buy alcohol with them there. Wonder what reception that will bring.

I have never been ID'd at restaurants probably because 16 and overs can buy Beer, Wine or Cider if they are having a meal and in Scotland you don't have to be accompanied by someone over 18. I got a free drink before though, good thing the licence authorities did not find out about that as it is not allowed.

You don't need to ID families who have kids with them. If there is a parent with a teenager, say, just ask the older person if they are buying. If yes, it's ok. If they say the younger person is paying then ask for ID. The multiple ID thing is really for groups of young people. If there are more than one, you need to ID everybody. Even if there is only one without ID sale can't go through.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 27 and i often get confused for 19.

People also guess 19 when they ask me how old i am!