ALWAYS check Asda delivery!!

.Dozy Rosie.Dozy Rosie Posts: 2,430
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ughhh I am cross...partly with myself for not noticing but Asda profess to "pick" for deliveries as they would for themselves!!

I had a delivery yesterday...I do it once a month as I am unable to go shopping myself. I ordered a gammon joint for Christmas. Long story short...put shopping away...put joint in freezer. Today I tidied freezer up to make more room and noticed that said joint had to be used by 22nd Nov!!!!!!!!!!! A WEEK out of date!!!! :mad:

Comments

• Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,041
    Forum Member
    You've got to check b.b. dates on online deliveries for all shops - I once had a Tesco delivery after 10pm with items that were best before that day.

Phone them up and you should get a refund
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asda delivery is absolutely useless (used them 4 times and gave up) but their customer service is really good for sorting out refunds ASAP. Give them a call and you should get your money back straight away. Obviously you still have the annoyance of getting a new gammon from somewhere!

I wish Asda delivery was up there with Sainsbury's and Ocado for efficiency because I would definitely use them to save myself some money. But I gave up after the broken and damaged items and the ridiculous substitutions. I've also heard horror stories of them charging the guide price at the time of order (which apparently is to check you have sufficient funds and isn't actually "taken out") but in some cases it is, and you're then charged on the day of delivery. So you then have to chase them for the money back. I can't risk paying double for a shop! It's also annoying that they don't say when an offer ends like all the other supermarkets do. So you could order something at a £1 but at the day of your delivery it could be more. I'm sticking with Sainsbury's!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It's a cured meat and presume it's also vacpacked. It should be fine.
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    I have been using asda delivery for close to 5 years now and have found them to be very good overall, and I get 2-3 orders a month as I have trouble doing my own shopping because of health issues

always been the odd mistake but never anything drastic and if you do call up customer services afterwards about something like in the OP they will refund you and usually give you a credit for your next delivery too
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frozen it will be fine weeks past the sell by date.

But oddly talking of asda I have been waiting all day for our local store to come and collect a crate of food I found just abandoned on the side of the road, full of pasta, olive oil, sundried tomatoes and other stuff. Most odd I thought. :confused:
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used Asda for my deliveries afew times but the kept missing things or substituting with things that were cheap rubbish and it was too much hassle having to keep phoning them every time. I use Tesco now. They make mistakes too but when I complain they give evouchers. They're also quicker giving refunds when things are missing.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've had two orders with them and so far so good. (touch wood).

I mainly order bottles of water, frozen or tinned stuff. Never really order fresh meat or veg.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    Frozen it will be fine weeks past the sell by date.

But oddly talking of asda I have been waiting all day for our local store to come and collect a crate of food I found just abandoned on the side of the road, full of pasta, olive oil, sundried tomatoes and other stuff. Most odd I thought. :confused:

But it was only frozen yesterday, which was already long past the date, personally I wouldn't trust it - certainly not for a special meal anyway (though OP I'd be tempted to make soup from it, once you've got your money back of course)
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    It's a cured meat and presume it's also vacpacked. It should be fine.

It should be yes, but that's not really the point here is it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Specktater wrote: »
    But it was only frozen yesterday, which was already long past the date, personally I wouldn't trust it - certainly not for a special meal anyway (though OP I'd be tempted to make soup from it, once you've got your money back of course)

A week isn't really long past the date I would have suggested check it smells and looks ok and then freeze it or cook it and freeze it.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    A week isn't really long past the date I would have suggested check it smells and looks ok and then freeze it or cook it and freeze it.

Or contact Asda and get a full refund and a replacement and possibly a voucher off the next delivery.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member

Being gammon, it'll most likely be OK, but it won't be at its best. The OP bought it for Christmas! Why on earth would you serve food that's past it sell-by date for Christmas, when you can just get a refund or replacement. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    Being gammon, it'll most likely be OK, but it won't be at its best. The OP bought it for Christmas! Why on earth would you serve food that's past it sell-by date for Christmas, when you can just get a refund or replacement. :confused:

I do it all the time Christmas wouldn't be any different, I tend to buy things as cheap as I can so sell by dates are not something I worry about if the food smells fine and looks fine it is fine IMO
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do it all the time Christmas wouldn't be any different, I tend to buy things as cheap as I can so sell by dates are not something I worry about if the food smells fine and looks fine it is fine IMO

Its OK if you are buying things cheap and you can freeze or eat right away as they are not past the sell date.

But why on earth would the OP want things already past the sell date for full price the shops are not allowed to sell things "past" the sell date.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its OK if you are buying things cheap and you can freeze or eat right away as they are not past the sell date.

But why on earth would the OP want things already past the sell date for full price the shops are not allowed to sell things "past" the sell date.

I am not suggesting they should what I would do is ring the shop, it happened to us with some bread once two days out of date they refunded the price and let us keep the bread, it was fine for toast and bread and butter pudding etc.

It is entirely up to them if they want to do that, I was just commenting it could still be OK to eat. These days people chuck things out far too easily IMO
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their substituting leaves alot to be desired. For quickness, I ordered fresh pasta and a sauce to go with it. I fancied the italian meatballs in tomato sauce. They had none, so they sent raw mince meatballs instead. No use whatsoever. the whole point was i didn't want to make a sauce. And didn't have the ingredients to make one. Ordered a red cabbage once, to make coleslaw. None. sent a Savoy cabbage instead. The problem is,if your shopping is being done by some spotty youth that lives at home, and the only thing they know about food, is eating the stuff their parents pay for, then you're screwed. As someone said, their customer service is good. But it's just a pain. I have to call them every time. I am disabled, so home shopping is a saviour for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And oddly they never did come and get the abandoned crate of food we found so someone I am guessing didn't get all their order.
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theyre hopeless. They substitute gluten free for low fat and rice milk for rice cakes. Id end up getting a refund half the time because billed items weren't delivered.