Options

Job interview questions that took you by surprise

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
Forum Member
✭✭
Just recently I had an interview for a full-time at the place where I already work part time. In the interview I was asked "describe a time when you've had to pass a message?"

That may sound like I'm being thick but at the time it completely took me by surprise and I ended up saying something ridiculous. I said that I did overtime on a weekend and all the weekend staff were lazy so I grassed them up, was given power, passed a message to them and took control. Of course it was all lies but strangely I got a highish mark for it and was one of the only two left in the job race.

Comments

• Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    They asked me how my friends would describe me

I said "top bird"

I think they meant trustworthy, etc
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being asked whether I liked to have sex with the light on or off.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husband was asked how long he'd been married and if he had kids.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being asked whether I liked to have sex with the light on or off.
    What was the job?!
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got asked how I monitored my own quality assurance. I had no idea what that meant. I still got the job though so whatever rubbish I came out with must have ticked a box somewhere.
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband was asked how long he'd been married and if he had kids.
    Is that even allowed?
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was asked if I was sure I had a degree.

Weird. How can you not be sure? Either they thought I was a liar, in which case why invite me to the interview? Or they believed I was a graduate, in which case what's the point of that question?

Are you sure you've got a degree?
    Well, now as you ask, do you know I can't be sure.

Weirdos.
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    My birthday is Christmas day. A few years back when it was the norm to have your DOB on your CV, one of the 2 interviewers said-

'I see you share your birthday with someone famous. Give us 3 examples of how you and he compare'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnitaS wrote: »
    Is that even allowed?

Don't think so, I think he was just being asked in conversation but still shouldn't have been mentioned.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »

Weird. How can you not be sure? Either they thought I was a liar, in which case why invite me to the interview? Or they believed I was a graduate, in which case what's the point of that question?

Weirdos.

I thought it normal for a first post graduate job to have to provide a copy of the degree certificate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Are you planning to marry or have kids?"

You'd be surprised at how much that comes up. It's even been on the Apprentice.

It's not allowed, but the worst they get is a slap on the wrists. There's no real punishment for it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For an engineering post I was asked what a product, Foliac, was used for. I hadn't got a clue. I still got the job.

On my first day in the job my manager asked me the same question, I knew what the answer was this time:D

http://www.fwb.co.uk/pipeline-fittings/pipeline-consumables/jointing-compound/400grm-foliac-manganese.-30042-jointing-compound-steam-seal-
  • Options
    RedRose9191RedRose9191 Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AOTB wrote: »
    My birthday is Christmas day. A few years back when it was the norm to have your DOB on your CV, one of the 2 interviewers said-

'I see you share your birthday with someone famous. Give us 3 examples of how you and he compare'.

Pretty sure he was actually born in the summer anyways ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pretty sure he was actually born in the summer anyways ;-)

Ha, fair point, but not sure they'd have let me off with saying the dates of the Lord's birth have not been proven.
    I was half tempted to go with some Humphrey Bogart similarities (everyone knows one celeb born on their birthday right?) but Jeses was actually the easier option! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »

Weirdos.

You sure about that now?
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    I thought it normal for a first post graduate job to have to provide a copy of the degree certificate.

I'd say you're right there.

But that interview was when I was going on for thirty five and my cv showed my work history since university. All of the positions I'd held were highly technical so maybe they thought the whole cv was a work of fiction.

It took me aback, anyway. Seemed to me to be an odd thing to ask someone of my age, going for the job I was going for. Sort of like asking someone who had just graduated from university if they were sure they'd passed their GCSEs.
  • Options
    zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think so, I think he was just being asked in conversation but still shouldn't have been mentioned.

Surely this is just small talk before the interview. I always make the candidate at ease and ask them how their journey was or something topical that is going on in the world. Normal conversation can sometimes just flow to if they are married or have kids.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zantarous wrote: »
    Surely this is just small talk before the interview. I always make the candidate at ease and ask them how their journey was or something topical that is going on in the world. Normal conversation can sometimes just flow to if they are married or have kids.

It was after the "interview" questions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel a bit left out now. I have never had any strange questions asked in interviews, just your bog standard boring ones. Maybe one day.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "In one word, what is your best quality?"
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    "How much do you expect to be paid performing a job such as the one you're applying for?"

Might be a standard question but it took me by surprise. I risked either seriously underselling the job and undermining it, or overselling myself and looking like I was only using the job as a stopgap.

Turns out I was only £2,000 away from what they were offering, though I think the question was designed to see how cheap they could get me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zantarous wrote: »

Yes but technically companies are not meant to ask anything that could be seem as discriminatory either way. I even had employment law training on this a few years back just so that we didn't ask anything that could come back at the company when we interviewed people! This could include age, sexuality, or whether on not they are married or have kids/ plan to have them etc.

Sure it could all be entirely innocent and something people ask in social situations too, but in an interview, it's not advisable or deemed 'appropriate' really, even if it may be no big deal to either party.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "How much do you expect to be paid performing a job such as the one you're applying for?"

Might be a standard question but it took me by surprise. I risked either seriously underselling the job and undermining it, or overselling myself and looking like I was only using the job as a stopgap.

Turns out I was only £2,000 away from what they were offering, though I think the question was designed to see how cheap they could get me.

I wouldn't say that was really out there. I've been asked similar before.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »

I don't think I've ever had to show my degree certificate to anyone. In fact, I haven't a clue where it is.

I once got to the final round interview where I was done to the last 4. I was asked "If we don't give you the job which candidate should we hire instead?"
  • Options
    puffenstuffpuffenstuff Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I moved from Liverpool down to London in the late 1970s and still had a very thick scouse accent (which has mellowed nicely) some dick in an interview with a cut glass accent said to me "can you say to me Giz a job" This was in the days of the boys from the blackstuff tv show and when 2/3 million people were out of work.

Does the north south divide still exist in the wokplace these days?