UK troops fighting for Ukrainian Govt?

Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://rt.com/news/226079-ukraine-foreign-military-mariupol/

Pretty clearly a London accent on that ''Ukrainian'' soldier...

Comments

• Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are euphemistically called 'contractors' no doubt. Don't suppose for a minute, regardless of what they may have done over there, that the police or the security services will bat an eyelid when they return to the UK, because they are fighting for the 'good guys'.
  • AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Evo102 wrote: »
    What are euphemistically called 'contractors' no doubt. Don't suppose for a minute, regardless of what they may have done over there, that the police or the security services will bat an eyelid when they return to the UK, because they are fighting for the 'good guys'.

Back when our government was trying to take the moral high ground and criticizing Russian interference I did say there was undoubtedly Western agent provocateurs active in Ukraine as well now it seems we've got the proof. The funny thing is that certain people will deny it saying that an accent proves nothing, but if it was a Russian accent it would be seen as complete and overwhelming proof of Russian interference. Why are we supporting an unelected regime that is using the military against "their own people", you know the exact thing we got involved in Libya for?
  • Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know how much these UK troops are being paid by the Ukrainian Govt? Or are they standard UK troops working in a clandestine fashion for the Ukrainians on Cameron's orders?
  • JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    I very much doubt that these are currently serving British Soldiers. Could you imagine if they were caught by the Russians?

They probably are ex-forces mercenary's who can earn substantial amounts fighting in the Russian/Ukrainian conflict.

I wonder when the Conservatives will announce that they are taking away their passports................oh they wont
    Forum Member
    I very much doubt that these are currently serving British Soldiers. Could you imagine if they were caught by the Russians?

They probably are ex-forces mercenary's who can earn substantial amounts fighting in the Russian/Ukrainian conflict.

I wonder when the Conservatives will announce that they are taking away their passports................oh they wont

Bet it would be a different story if they were fighting for Assad.
  • Tim_WilkesTim_Wilkes Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Mercenaries in all but name.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    http://rt.com/news/226079-ukraine-foreign-military-mariupol/

Pretty clearly a London accent on that ''Ukrainian'' soldier...
    He could have been educated over here.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Axtol wrote: »

Fighting directly for the Syrian armed forces you are probably right. Fighting for a regime backed militia against ISIS one day and the western backed rebels the next, then things get a bit muddy I would imagine. But if they were ex-forces then they would probably get the benefit of the doubt.
  • JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    Tim_Wilkes wrote: »
    Mercenaries in all but name.

Mercenary has such a bad name and is rarely used these days. They are Private Military Contractors because that makes them sound so much better post Iraq Invasion

Trouble with paying for soldiers in this way is that if the other side pays more their loyalty might be in question
  • jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    Axtol wrote: »

Assad is currently bombing the Kurds in Kobane while IS attack them on ground. This is government that Galloway insisted we arm in fighting IS.

You have to wonder after 3 years of fighting who IS are working for as it the war seems to helping Assad regain control.

A soldier with a British accent doesn't mean he is there at request of the army.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mercenary has such a bad name and is rarely used these days. They are Private Military Contractors because that makes them sound so much better post Iraq Invasion

Also - IIRC under U.S. law a U.S. citizen can potentially forfeit his citizenship for being a mercenary abroad...but a "private military contractor" - ESPECIALLY one supplied by/employed by a U.S. company such as Blackwater or Haliburton ;-) - is on much safer ground.

Trouble with paying for soldiers in this way is that if the other side pays more their loyalty might be in question

Traditionally, yes....but if you're working for a major contractor like the above, and have your wages paid into an account in the U.S., it tends to keep you on the right side of your employers, at least. It also helps if you're fighting for one party against another....which if they ever got hold of you, let alone actually persuaded you to change sides, they're more likely to cut your dick off and make you eat it...Ideological/religious/tribal wars tend to attract the more "loyal" of contractors to one side :D
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    He could be a Ukranian national who was brought up here. Or someone who married a Ukranian & moved there.
  • QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RT.com, that most unbiased of broadcasters.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because SOMEONE heard an english accent!

yeah whatever you commies
  • AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    RT.com, that most unbiased of broadcasters.

Yes I wouldn't consider RT to be the most reliable, certainly not when it comes to the situation in Ukraine at the moment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    No No I don't want to put my 2 pence in on something that i am so against!!!!!
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmm
    certainly sounds north american .....
    doesn't mean it's a NATO anything!
    Forum Member
    Yes I wouldn't consider RT to be the most reliable, certainly not when it comes to the situation in Ukraine at the moment.

Yes, the accent doesn't actually prove anything but the funny thing here is that if it was a Russian accent, certain people looking to smear Russia would be accepting that as indisputable evidence of official Russian involvement. And some of our media, particularly the BBC, is just as biased as RT which is to be expected for government controlled media.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    He could be a Ukranian national who was brought up here. Or someone who married a Ukranian & moved there.

Exactly, my colleague was born here of Ukrainian parents, she married a similar Ukrainian and has 3 children, all born bred and educated here, but her sons are very active in Ukrainian Independence, although I don't think they have gone to fight there.