Karl Urban "Confirms Dredd 2 is in Development"

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://sciencefiction.com/2016/06/20/denver-comic-con-2016-karl-urban-confirms-judge-dredd-2/
You heard that right. Or at least, they are developing the story for it. After that, they are determining the right platform, be it Netflix, Amazon, a TV Series, or another movie.

2000AD have since tweeted it's not true and that "The reports from that show seem to be jumping to all sorts of conclusions.", but I suppose this could meant that they're just debunking assumptions it will be another movie - nothing to say the story isn't being developed.

Hopefully it is true though and they'll be able to get something off the ground. Urban, to his credit, has said he doesn't care what platform it's on, he'd still do it.

Comments

• balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the film, I hope there is more to come.
    It is very hard too make a character like Dredd come alive on screen.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very true and I do think Urban pretty much nailed it. It would make perfect series material though if they could ever get the budget.
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very true and I do think Urban pretty much nailed it. It would make perfect series material though if they could ever get the budget.

Ubran did well in the film because he kept his hat on and showed his acting skills by way of lower jaw movement.

Still think they should make a second film rather than a series.
  • SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Absolutely. Could definitely see it working well as a series but they'd need to include the subversive humour. There must be some middle-ground between the comic-book sillyness of the Stallone version and the nailed-on perfect Joe Dredd that Urban did. A ten part series couldn't just be the mayhem of Dredd, it needs the black humour.
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,666
    Forum Member
    I thought the first film was great. Urban was a great Dredd and everything was the right atmosphere. Ten times the film that the Stallone film was (although I quite enjoyed that too because it was such a campfest!)

The only thing I didn't like was the ending.
    Dredd we were supposed to believe was a total hard ass who would obey the law no matter what. Losing your weapon was apparently an automatic fail for a rookie judge. And yet despite the fact she lost her weapon, Dredd didn't fail her and we got that silly moment at the end where Dredd softened, watching her walk away with a slight smile like a proud dad or something. That really annoyed me as I felt it undermined the character as previously depicted.
  • eggcheneggchen Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps an animated series could be a good compromise?

I always thought that Stallone's movie got the overall look right, but it was Urban who best portrayed the character.
  • eggcheneggchen Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spacedone wrote: »
    Absolutely. Could definitely see it working well as a series but they'd need to include the subversive humour. There must be some middle-ground between the comic-book sillyness of the Stallone version and the nailed-on perfect Joe Dredd that Urban did. A ten part series couldn't just be the mayhem of Dredd, it needs the black humour.

The humour was very British. I particularly loved Mega City One and its offbeat inhabitants like The Fatties with their bellywheels, the Sky Surfers and Chopper, the Smokatorium, the Palais de Boing etc. The visits to other Mega Cities were also a laugh, like Brit Cit, Mega City 2, Indo City etc, to see how the other judges did things.
  • GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    Great news! Loved Dredd even I was part of 2000AD fans, and my name got featured three times in the film! Can't wait for TV Series!
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 10/05/17 - 17:11 #11
    The Karl Urban Dredd was great - tough, violent, uncompromising - as it should be. Finally purged us of the Stallone monstrosity. I'd be up for more of the same, it would work great as a Netflix series.
  • GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    Sign-up for updates here: http://megacityone.co.uk/