Fast Show BBC 2 18/8 23.05

124»

Comments

• jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Has Harry Enfield's dated less?

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/shortcuts/2015/jul/27/enduring-social-shorthand-harry-enfield-characters

'Time Nice but Dim', 'Loadsamoney', Wayne and Waynetta have featured in newspaper headlines in the past few years.

And I'm fond of saying 'like Yul Brynner and Telly Savalas fighting in a sack'.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It can't have been that memorable if you end up getting the quote wrong!

That was the point of writing it that way. People say it wrong, like "play it again Sam"
  • owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the Fast Show to be a bit hit and miss, unfortunately it a miss more often. Some of the continuous sketches are just crap. Jesse's Diets for example, I know comedy is subjective, but sorry guys, this sketch it just aint funny about 99% of the time

QUOTE=Alrightmate;79464945]Last week I have been mostly watching the Fast Show.
    Niiice.
    It was brilliant.
    Suits me sir.
    But I was very drunk at the time.

Yes, when you think about it it gets very tiring and repetitive after a while isn't it?
    It's mainly just repeating the same old catchphrases. Then people repeating the catchphrases to each other as though they're in on some private joke and feel quite clever about it.

I'm as guilty as anyone, I fell for this show too in the 90s. But after watching the episodes last week I now realise how uninspired and unoriginal it really was.
    It's so limited.
    A few episodes are good. But after that it's just a matter of going through the same motions again and again and again.

I loved it at the time, but in hindsight it just feels like money for old rope and very lazy comedy that isn't as great as it seemed at the time.

I think more recently in the series 'Extras' it made a strong argument for how tired catchphrase based comedy really is.[/QUOTE]
  • kitchenpersonkitchenperson Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »
    That was the point of writing it that way. People say it wrong, like "play it again Sam"
    I can't say I've heard anyone misquoting it that way *. "Suiting you, Sir."

* "The Fast Show", not "Casablanca". Or do I mean "The Maltese Falcon"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't say I've heard anyone misquoting it that way *. "Suiting you, Sir."

* "The Fast Show", not "Casablanca". Or do I mean "The Maltese Falcon"?

Ah, well that's where you're wrong. If you listen in public, most people actually say "Suits you Sir" when the correct quote is "Suit you, Sir"

Needless to say, I laughed last.
  • dellzinchtdellzincht Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesse's Diets was fantastic.

"This week, I 'ave mostly bin eatin....Bourbon Biscuits."
  • owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dellzincht wrote: »
    Jesse's Diets was fantastic.

"This week, I 'ave mostly bin eatin....Bourbon Biscuits."

This exactly what I was posting about earlier, How is that remotely funny? I consider myself to have a good overall sense of humour, but that is just poor.

maybe if he came out and said something OTT, like,Foie Gras, it may work better.

Comedy is very subjective of course
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    owl61uk wrote: »
    This exactly what I was posting about earlier, How is that remotely funny? I consider myself to have a good overall sense of humour, but that is just poor.

maybe if he came out and said something OTT, like,Foie Gras, it may work better.

"Bourbon Biscuits" sounds a bit daft in Jesse's voice, which helps. Also he did start to eat more obscure things as time went on, the humour being in the subversion of the character/setting (see also Chanel 9's ever-broadening programming lineup)
  • kitchenpersonkitchenperson Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    I've watched four of the six episodes so far. Some of it has held up well, other segments not so. The Channel 9 skits are still great to me. I was never that keen on "Jesse's Diets" myself. Arabella Weir's "Does my bum look big in this?" remains as painfully unfunny as it was on debut.
  • Scott_WhittonScott_Whitton Posts: 5,292
    Forum Member
    Loving the repeats so far, great stuff and definitely stands the test of time for me.

HOLD THE BELLS!!!
  • dellzinchtdellzincht Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have a silly sense of humour, so to me it's funny. Like you said, comedy is very subjective.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do like most of Simon Day's work on this show. Billy Bleach, Dave Angel, Monkfish and Carl Hooper, but most of all Gideon, the architectural historian. The surreal details cracked up.

"Tragically today, we have just learned, that house may well have fallen into the hands, of Jimmy Nail"
  • WillbertWillbert Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This week, I have been mostly bulimic.
  • FuturespectFuturespect Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The mundanity of bourbons was the point. That in his shed-living world, such a thing was the highlight of his week.

I found it amusing, but then I live in the countryside where we've lots of Jesses.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I found it amusing, but then I live in the countryside where we've lots of Jesses.

Dr Monkfish to you, wurzel!
  • Scott_WhittonScott_Whitton Posts: 5,292
    Forum Member
    This Week I Are Been Mostly Eating Acorns!!!!