SFX Mag well impressed with 11th Hour!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
Great write up here. The positive reviews keep coming for the opener. :)

Apologies if you don't read the mag, but I do and I can assure you if it was crap they'd say so. Nice to read their opinions, and lovely to hear about how good it's gonna be.

Comments

• Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Kal_El wrote: »
    Great write up here. The positive reviews keep coming for the opener. :)

Apologies if you don't read the mag, but I do and I can assure you if it was crap they'd say so. Nice to read their opinions, and lovely to hear about how good it's gonna be.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. SFX magazine
    always give even the worst Nu-Who episodes, like
    "The Doctor's Daughter", at least three stars.
  • francis7francis7 Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SFX have alway been up Nu Who's ass. I suppose they're scared to lose out on exclusive interviews and set reports if they don't praise the whole thing all the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Wow, harsh. Though I confess I've only been reading the mag for about a year, I've always found their reviews fairly spot on. Their views on the final two eps pretty much captured how I felt about things, for example.

Oh well. Still, I enjoyed reading their write up here anyway, and thought it worth posting up. :)
  • RubydollRubydoll Posts: 1,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for posting that Kal.
    Even if SFX are up 'Who's' backside, if the new episode is opposite to what SFX has written, so what *shrugs* we make our own minds up anyway. (ps according to our neighbours they got it right on 'Zombieland' at least ;)
    I liked “The Avengers as made by Hans Christian Andersen” quote actually, and really looking forward to the new series.
  • TMLS313TMLS313 Posts: 3,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. SFX magazine
    always give even the worst Nu-Who episodes, like
    "The Doctor's Daughter", at least three stars.

That's because even bad Who is still basically average when compared on a scale with other shows...
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TMLS313 wrote: »
    That's because even bad Who is still basically average when compared on a scale with other shows...

You have a point to some extent there. There are a few episodes that are really poor, but the majority of the episodes would definitely be 3* or over in my book, and probably in the minds of most people that watch the show. Hence the high AI's the series enjoys. I think SFX have shown they are more than capable of ripping in to some of the poorer sci-fi shows that it reviews over the years...
    Forum Member
    TMLS313 wrote: »

Really? I though "Partners In Crime" was a dreadful
    piece of television by any standards, but SFX gave
    it three stars when it deserved only one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? I though "Partners In Crime" was a dreadful
    piece of television by any standards, but SFX gave
    it three stars when it deserved only one.

What you thought doesn't equal fact, funnily enough. Three stars seems about right to me, but then thats just my opinion. See opinion and fact are two very different things. If the person that reviewed it enjoyed it enough to give it three stars from their perspective you can disagree with their view but you can't say that they were wrong to rate it that way either.
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    What you thought doesn't equal fact, funnily enough. Three stars seems about right to me, but then thats just my opinion. See opinion and fact are two very different things. If the person that reviewed it enjoyed it enough to give it three stars from their perspective you can disagree with their view but you can't say that they were wrong to rate it that way either.

So you would argue that every single episode of
    post 2005-Doctor Who is so well-made as televisual
    drama, that they all deserve at least three stars out of five then?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Actually, I'd probably agree with that....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not quite every one, but all but a handful, yes.

And if you look at the episode ratings threads here you'll see that on average just about every episode on here would probably end up with an mean average of 3* or over if one was to calculate it.

The thing you may want to consider is that the same reviewer hasn't reviewed every episode every week, so you don't really have a fair point of reference in any case.

The main point here is that you seem to be saying if you think an episode is poor that makes it poor, that other people can't validly hold a different view to you.

Partners in Crime, for example, was rather well received on this board (nearly 70% rated it 4 or 5/5) , yet you assume "by any standard" it was poor....your more than entitled to your opinion but you seem to assume you speak on everyone else's behalf. You don't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And if you look at the episode ratings threads here you'll see that on average just about every episode on here would probably end up with an mean average of 3* or over if one was to calculate it.

The thing you may want to consider is that the same reviewer hasn't reviewed every episode every week, so you don't really have a fair point of reference in any case.

The main point here is that you seem to saying if you think an episode is poor that makes it poor, that other people can't validly hold a different view to you.

Partners in Crime, for example, was rather well received on this board (nearly 70% rated it 4 or 5/5) , yet you assume "by any standard" it was poor....your more than entitled to your opinion but you seem to assume you speak on everyone else's behalf. You don't.

Agree!!!
    It's all down to opinions...there is no written bench mark on what deserves what points, because for every individual the reasons differ....for example I would give five out of five for Partners in Crime, and Five out of Five for Human Nature and Family of Blood. Now they both are very different creatures....and I love them for very different reasons. And that is my right to do so, as it is for those who feel that they shouldn't be compared, although I'm not saying that should, as like i said, they aim to tell different stories in different ways.

Another great example for me is the most known to be disliked story Love and Monsters....for me, it's a Ten out of Ten! I love it!

Have to say too, that for me, no Who story has been below average. Give me Doctor Who over most TV anyday!!!
    Forum Member

Didn't SFX have the same two journalists (Dave Golder
    and Ian Berriman) review that season of Doctor Who?
    The main point here is that you seem to saying if you think an episode is poor that makes it poor, that other people can't validly hold a different view to you.

My argument was that I felt SFX was being unfairly generous to episodes such as PiC and TDD, which
    I believe are poor stories. "By Any Standard"
    meant I regarding these eps as being poorly scripted,
    acted (I'm not knocking Tennant, etc. as actors, I just felt
    the eps underutilised his acting talents) and unimaginatively
    directed. I certainly wasn't saying "Nobody has the right to disagree with my opinion on Doctor Who".

After all, I dislike MacDonald's food immensly, but I'm not
    arguing other people should be banned from eating
    there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My argument was that I felt SFX was being unfairly generous to episodes such as PiC and TDD, which
    I believe are poor stories..

But it still boils down to the fact that you are not excepting they can validly hold a different view to you. If they felt the episode was worth three stars it cannot possibly be "generous" - it's what they felt was right in THEIR opinion. You disagree. Fine. But it doesn't make their rating of it generous to rate it higher than you.

I don't think there much point continuing with this, as we are going round in circles with you not seemingly grasping the point I am making in the first place, unfortuntly.

And the same people at SFX have not reviewed every episode since 2005, which was what you were originally talking about, no.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr Who is popular. SFX wants more sales so will get cosy with the popular show. It's not difficult to understand and you're basically just howling at the moon if you expect anything else to happen.

Oh and I really liked Partners in Crime. And The Doctors Daughter wasn't a complete disaster.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    post not showing.
  • molybecksmolybecks Posts: 14,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooh great news! Is this the issue with the 3D cover?

P.S: Is there a feature on Ashes To Ashes :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molybecks wrote: »
    Oooh great news! Is this the issue with the 3D cover?

The review isn't in the magazine proper, it's just online. I imagine the review proper will appear in the magazine after it airs. :)

This months is well worth getting though, the cover is stunning. Worth it for that alone.

I made the mistake of showing mine to my little niece (just turned 4) and ended up having to give my copy to here as she started to cry when I asked for it back when I was going...:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't SFX have the same two journalists (Dave Golder
    and Ian Berriman) review that season of Doctor Who?

I believe are poor stories. "By Any Standard"
    meant I regarding these eps as being poorly scripted,
    acted (I'm not knocking Tennant, etc. as actors, I just felt
    the eps underutilised his acting talents) and unimaginatively
    directed. I certainly wasn't saying "Nobody has the right to disagree with my opinion on Doctor Who".

After all, I dislike MacDonald's food immensly, but I'm not
    arguing other people should be banned from eating
    there.

Your wording, though came across as if you were basically suggesting that because you felt PIC didn't deserve three stars, SFX shouldn't have given it three stars either.

Personally I thought the acting was absolutly brilliant from everyone, the script was clever and really funny in places, brilliant one liners, loved that the monsters weren't your usual Taking-over-the-world type, great re-introduction to Donna. And I immensly enjoyed it....made my day that episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The review isn't in the magazine proper, it's just online. I imagine the review proper will appear in the magazine after it airs. :)

This months is well worth getting though, the cover is stunning. Worth it for that alone.

I made the mistake of showing mine to my little niece (just turned 4) and ended up having to give my copy to here as she started to cry when I asked for it back when I was going...:o

Awww oh no....hope she does give it back eventually....that is one hell of a cover to keep for life!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    Awww oh no....hope she does give it back eventually....that is one hell of a cover to keep for life!!!

I bought myself another one!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought myself another one!:D

Oh good!!!!:D worth the money!!!:D
  • KezMKezM Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought PIC was one of the best series openers along with S&J. Especially when the Doctor and Donna were signalling to each other - still makes me chuckle thinking about it.

It kind of raises the question why we need reviews in these modern times when everything is more accessible and most people have varying opinions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KezM wrote: »
    Especially when the Doctor and Donna were signalling to each other - still makes me chuckle thinking about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Izht4IyR1o
    :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KezM wrote: »
    I thought PIC was one of the best series openers along with S&J. Especially when the Doctor and Donna were signalling to each other - still makes me chuckle thinking about it.

It kind of raises the question why we need reviews in these modern times when everything is more accessible and most people have varying opinions.

That is interesting comment....but people like sharing opinions...and critics love being critics!!!;)

Never fails to make me laugh that scene!!!