Failed Film recordings, Heat issue?

spearce8spearce8 Posts: 205
Forum Member
Hi,

Strange one this, or maybe not.

Everything was fine about a month or so ago, since then I’ve had countless failed recordings, not so much failed, just incomplete, 30min programs generally record fine, but whenever I tried to record a film, it only records half of it, and I get the “Technical fault” message.

Now I’ve done the System rebuild and forced download, refuse to do a full reset for obvious reasons, signal quality and all that fine, now I fitted a 1TB drive myself last yr sometime and last weekend I moved that into a newer smaller HD box (Amstrad) is the HDD on its way out? All recordings play fine, 55% free, the only thing I can really think of now is perhaps its heat related regards the Hard Drive, I’ll shut it down one night (5 secs on the stand by button) as opposed to ripping out the plug over night, and then try to record something first thing in the morning, failing that, what else could it be? Or is there a common problem here I don't know of.

Many Thanks for any help.

Comments

• chrisw99chrisw99 Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you just physically take the disk from one Sky HD box and put it in another?

What was the make of the original box?

Some boxes are little-endian and some are big-endian, you may have gone from one to the other causing you problems.
  • spearce8spearce8 Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    The actual HDD was originally in my PC (Western Digital) and moved into a Samsung box, never used Copy+ or anything like that as it was a fresh install, but that was over a year ago, since then (until about a month ago) I've had trouble free records, no fails, nothing.

Then, as I say, about a month ago we had that Software update and I suddenly noticed an increase in my Free HDD space ( thread on that somewhere) apparently the previous software didn't recognise the drive as a 1TB, probably only a 500Gig, maybe not using Copy+ at install explains that, I don’t know.

Anyway, all I know is since the software update I’ve had trouble, moved the HDD last week into the Amstrad 890-C and the problem still persists, it’s not heat related, I now know that, tried to record a film this morning after having the box off all night, recorded the first 8mins only, Technical fault again, I don’t know what else to do :cry:

Refuse to do Sys restart, the only other I thing I can think of is to perhaps move the box elsewhere, could be the cabling, but I doubt it, noticed the cabling is thinner than the rest, but whats that mean, nothing I guess.
  • spearce8spearce8 Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    An update.

Not sure if this is relevant, or common, but I’ve just realised these failed recordings only really effect the Sky Movie channels, recorded something on ITV4HD, and a Football Match on Sky Sports HD, along with something from Comedy Central, and all recorded fine, so what gives, anyone experienced this? May try a non-HD Movie, but don't suppose that matters :)