benefits cash card

Comments

• Re-MinderRe-Minder Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WHy/ if shes a full time carer? or is this a new nasty scheme?

I have no idea but i think from what she has said its the benefits office trying to bring down budgets even further, she has no life at all outside the home, every waking hour is spent looking after her mum and they do this to her.

The DWP manager is a right nasty b'stard concerned with getting folk of benefits.
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re-Minder wrote: »
    I have no idea but i think from what she has said its the benefits office trying to bring down budgets even further, she has no life at all outside the home, every waking hour is spent looking after her mum and they do this to her.

The DWP manager is a right nasty b'stard concerned with getting folk of benefits.

No way am i doing this,ive got enough to do in my life caring,they can stick it. I feel really sorry for her, your right she doesnt need this,caring is stressful enough
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a full time carer and am not required to look for employment.(as far as I know) maybe there has been a mistake.

Can i ask do you receive any other benefit such as income support and if so does the carers allowance after the rate paid?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get income support
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No way am i doing this,ive got enough to do in my life caring,they can stick it. I feel really sorry for her, your right she doesnt need this,caring is stressful enough

Exactly, she was getting 55 quid a week plus carers allowance then they drop this bombshell by letter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly, she was getting 55 quid a week plus carers allowance then they drop this bombshell by letter.

Id suggest going to citizens advice,no way can you be expected to look for work when your a full time carer,it doesnt work
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Id suggest going to citizens advice,no way can you be expected to look for work when your a full time carer,it doesnt work

I will tell her to do just that, basically she is 24/7 which works out at £1.97 an hour, far short of minimum wage,:mad:
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can i ask do you receive any other benefit such as income support and if so does the carers allowance after the rate paid?

my husband was on jobseekers allowance at one point and they deducted £33 a week from the jobseekers as I was getting CA.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will tell her to do just that, basically she is 24/7 which works out at £1.97 an hour, far short of minimum wage,:mad:

I know,its rubbish,it needs to be at least £150 a week. They forget carers have bills to pay aswell
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my husband was on jobseekers allowance at one point and they deducted £33 a week from the jobseekers as I was getting CA.

When i was on JSA before carers i was getting about £34 a week,not enough to do anything with because they took away money because my disabled partner is on incapacity and i receive a small pension left to me whivch in my book shouldnt be taken into consideration .
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend is a full time carer for her disabled mum, she gets the carers allowance and income support but was informed via letter that she is only entitled to £27.68 a week IS as well as the CA, and they want her to attend the job centre sign on and look for work,it beggars belief..

Is this a mistake? has she queried it? and if she gets a job will a professional carer/nurse be provided?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    topcat3 wrote: »
    Is this a mistake? has she queried it? and if she gets a job will a professional carer/nurse be provided?

She has queried it, and its a local initiative at the behest of the DWP manager, and we know if she gets a job then the DWP will not fund a carer/nurse. Her MP a tory by the way is taking up her case.

I actually agree with getting folk of benefits and into work but this is a step to far, while we can blame the government for the most part it is my opinion that certain DWP staff have grudges and are now getting revenge on those who use the DWP services, best thing is that most of the tasks done by job centre staff could be done cheaper and easier online if forms were available.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She has queried it, and its a local initiative at the behest of the DWP manager, and we know if she gets a job then the DWP will not fund a carer/nurse. Her MP a tory by the way is taking up her case.

I actually agree with getting folk of benefits and into work but this is a step to far, while we can blame the government for the most part it is my opinion that certain DWP staff have grudges and are now getting revenge on those who use the DWP services, best thing is that most of the tasks done by job centre staff could be done cheaper and easier online if forms were available.
    She may have to attend a work focussed interview as she is getting Income Support but if she is a full time carer there is no way they can force her to look for a job, let alone take one.

As for her Income Support, assuming she is single, doesn't have a child and has less than £6,000 in savings she should get the following:

Carers Allowance: £58.45

Income Support: £71.00 basic rate (£56.25 if under 25) plus £32.60 Carers Premium less £58.45 Carers Allowance

which is £45.15 or £30.40 if aged under 25.

If she has had her benefit cut and this has happened in the last 28 days she should appeal the decision. It is possible to appeal outside of the 28 days limit (and up to 13 months from the date of decision), it is classed as a late appeal but usually is granted.

Even if she could do some work, she can only earn £100 maximum per week before she loses her Carers Allowance. That equates to a maximum of 16 hours work at minimum wage for someone aged 21 or over.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I didn't think local managers could just make up new rules to suit themselves. Surely rules apply!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    She may have to attend a work focussed interview as she is getting Income Support but if she is a full time carer there is no way they can force her to look for a job, let alone take one.

As for her Income Support, assuming she is single, doesn't have a child and has less than £6,000 in savings she should get the following:

Carers Allowance: £58.45

Income Support: £71.00 basic rate (£56.25 if under 25) plus £32.60 Carers Premium less £58.45 Carers Allowance

which is £45.15 or £30.40 if aged under 25.

If she has had her benefit cut and this has happened in the last 28 days she should appeal the decision. It is possible to appeal outside of the 28 days limit (and up to 13 months from the date of decision), it is classed as a late appeal but usually is granted.

Even if she could do some work, she can only earn £100 maximum per week before she loses her Carers Allowance. That equates to a maximum of 16 hours work at minimum wage for someone aged 21 or over.

Thanks for the info, i'll copy this and pass it on to her, i thinks its a disgrace they give with one hand and take away with the other,
    I didn't think local managers could just make up new rules to suit themselves. Surely rules apply!

It would not surprise me at all.
  • thecolonelthecolonel Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    If sky tv is seen as a luxury then what is the bbc ? I think it's on the same lines as sky so are the government going to provide free tv licences for unemployed people to stop them from breaking the law or just ban them from watching tv, also what about the Internet that's another luxury that the scroungers can do without, woops forgot, there glorious really expensive new soon to be mandatory job searching website is Internet based so I guess that's a no then for that. These idiots do not live in the real world, I suggest that if its that cushy on benefits then let them have a period on it, not a couple of weeks like that portillo did, but say six months, let them see what it's like to be a job seeker/scrounger and see if they still think its a cushy life. Between the government and the media they have convinced 95 percent of people that people who claim benefits are scroungers and like idiots 95 percent of people believe them. If you think it's bad now wait until next year, 2013 will be the end of the world for a lot of people.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    The internet won't be a luxury because all the benefits will have to be done online, so they can sack more people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    JB3 wrote: »
    The internet won't be a luxury because all the benefits will have to be done online, so they can sack more people.

Kind of ironic that cut backs in housing benefit, and soon the cut backs on council tax benefits, are going to mean a lot of people will have to cancel their broadband subscriptions as they wont be able to afford them.

I could well be one of them. I am waiting to hear what amount of CT I will have to pay from April (my council say they should have the figures finalised during January). I've already had a Housing Benefit cut so that from the beginning of this month I have had to pay £18 a week to my rent. Initial estimates are that most in this area will also have to pay around £8-£10 a week towards their council tax too, although the actual amounts wont be known until sometime during January.

What does seem a bit strange is that the cuts in CT benefits haven't been widely publicised.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kind of ironic that cut backs in housing benefit, and soon the cut backs on council tax benefits, are going to mean a lot of people will have to cancel their broadband subscriptions as they wont be able to afford them.
    And can't go to the library to access the Internet because they're making cuts to libraries and public transport too, can't afford fuel to get there and the neighbours and friends are likely to cut back too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I could well be one of them. I am waiting to hear what amount of CT I will have to pay from April (my council say they should have the figures finalised during January). I've already had a Housing Benefit cut so that from the beginning of this month I have had to pay £18 a week to my rent. Initial estimates are that most in this area will also have to pay around £8-£10 a week towards their council tax too, although the actual amounts wont be known until sometime during January.

What does seem a bit strange is that the cuts in CT benefits haven't been widely publicised.

Nope and nor have the MASSIVE changes coming in October next year with universal credit and PIP. So many are going to struggle when these come in and.....guess what? Funding to debt advice have been cut! As has funding for legal aid for welfare benefits tribunals!! Madness.
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thecolonel wrote: »
    If sky tv is seen as a luxury then what is the bbc ?.

Of course Sky tv is a luxury! Although im not sure what thats got to do with this thread except that you probably wont be able to pay for it with the proposed card?
  • D.PageD.Page Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about the many, many older people on benefits who started to smoke because it was thought, many decades ago, to 'be good for you', and was regarded as such for a while. Now, many are addicted, through no fault of their own.

Bad enough that many of these unfortunate people, who had been poorly-informed, are addicted, and now have seriously damaged bodies because of this nonsense of it being thought of, at one point, as good for you, they are now potentially going to be forced to go through the hell of stopping an extremely powerful addiction, along with, no doubt, invariably limited support available to them.

What a genius proposal :rolleyes:

A personal view, from a lifelong non-smoker.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    topcat3 wrote: »
    Of course Sky tv is a luxury! Although im not sure what thats got to do with this thread except that you probably wont be able to pay for it with the proposed card?

Is it really a luxury at £25 a month for someone who doesnt drink, smoke, or go out at all a bit like the internet it is more of a necessitt to stop you going mental.

Is gas, electric and water a luxury cos if a benefit card comes in its not going to pay my direct debits for these things which is what my benefit money goes on
  • thecolonelthecolonel Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    @topcat, snide remarks from one of the "all benefit claiments must be scroungers", fyi, not that i need to discuss my private life with you i will not be one of those affected by the cuts, though i do hope that in future you will be then maybe you wont be so pompus in your attitude towards those less fortunate than your privlidged self.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TWS wrote: »
    Is it really a luxury at £25 a month for someone who doesnt drink, smoke, or go out at all a bit like the internet it is more of a necessitt to stop you going mental.

Is gas, electric and water a luxury cos if a benefit card comes in its not going to pay my direct debits for these things which is what my benefit money goes on

Sky, at £25 a month, becomes an unaffordable luxury when you:
    Get cold because you can't afford the heating.
    Start putting yourself in debt, because you can't pay your other bills
    Get behind in your rent / mortgage payments.
    Starve yourself because you can't afford food.