Summer Night City

If so, never thought of it as disco.
  • footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,202
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Let me guess?
    Summer Night City

If so, never thought of it as disco.

Yes, that is the one - brilliant song - and even better when sung "live" as Bjorn sings the first few lines accapella
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    footygirl wrote: »
    Yes, that is the one - brilliant song - and even better when sung "live" as Bjorn sings the first few lines accapella

Would you not agree that it is a somewhat overlooked song of Abba's? I recall when I got the album "The First Ten Years" on a double tape cassette, it was one track that I used to play out quite frequently looking back.
  • footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,202
    Forum Member
    Would you not agree that it is a somewhat overlooked song of Abba's? I recall when I got the album "The First Ten Years" on a double tape cassette, it was one track that I used to play out quite frequently looking back.

Definately - great song. I love the song myself
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definately - great song. I love the song myself

Don't you just love the way we are both talking about the song, without actually mentioning the one we are talking about!:D

I think I've got Spoileritis. :p
  • SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there nowhere on the internet where the 'next' episode can be downloaded? I mean the missing DLT one. It must be SOMEWHERE...
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, the next show with DLT is not in circulation.
  • maycontainnutsmaycontainnuts Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who couldn't stand Althea and Donna 's Uptown Top Ranking?
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always record the late night repeat of TOTP but wasn't on last night.

Are we now only getting one showing of this as I can't see it on the EPG.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There's a repeat screening on Saturday night - straight after Borgen.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That version is only - as far as I know - on the Thank You For The Music boxset ... a shame it was never on the original single as I really think that orchestral intro is a much stronger opening to the song.
  • RPMRPM Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The late night repeat returns next week (Friday 01:30-02:00)

Are these episodes edited or were they originally 30 minutes long?
  • RPMRPM Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last nights showing had an overnight rating of 415k (1.8%) (thanks to Dancc on the ratings thread)

According to the BARB website, the equivalent episode w/e 22/1/12 had a final rating of 440k.

I think that final ratings generally tend to be higher so hopefully there isn't too much of a drop year on year.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    There's a repeat screening on Saturday night - straight after Borgen.

OK Thanks, must have missed seeing that. My series link dosn't seem to have picked it up either.

RPM wrote: »
    The late night repeat returns next week (Friday 01:30-02:00)

?

Good news. cheers, I can't record the earlier showing due to other recordings.
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And A Wonderful Christmas Time of course! Played to death every year and probably one of the best xmas songs ever made! Does anyone else remember a song he brought out in 1990 called My Brave Face? Always used to like this one too. And the album he brought out a few years ago, Electric Arguments, was fantastic.

Think if you put "worst" instead of "best" you're nearer the truth! :D Dreadful song. My Brave Face is good though.
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Is there nowhere on the internet where the 'next' episode can be downloaded? I mean the missing DLT one. It must be SOMEWHERE...

Yes there is somewhere called Popscene - it is really good and shows the TV lists in correct order:-

http://z6.*****************/popscene/index.php?showtopic=8799

Unfortunately I am refusing to look at the DLT/Savile episode lists as I don't want to see what I am missing!! :cry: - It hurts knowing Blondie is just one of the acts!! :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Misty08 wrote: »
    Flowers in the Dirt? Flaming Pie? Chaos and Creation? Electric Arguments?

To be fair I was talking about singles, I haven't heard the albums. In my view, with a few exceptions of course, his singles from Mull of Kintyre onwards were nowhere near as good as the ones before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "We All Stand Together."

Well, I liked it when I was a little boy. For me, it's every bit as good as anything he did in the Beatles. And Ringo Starr will always be "The Man Who Did Thomas The Tank Engine."

Yes, a great song, and only people who have no sense of humour and expect their songs to be all serious and meaningful moan about it.
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    Yes there is somewhere called Popscene - it is really good and shows the TV lists in correct order:-

http://z6.*****************/popscene/index.php?showtopic=8799

Unfortunately I am refusing to look at the DLT/Savile episode lists as I don't want to see what I am missing!! :cry: - It hurts knowing Blondie is just one of the acts!! :mad:

Oh sorry - i don't think it is the shows - just the list of what's on the shows.
    This website used to put up the missing episodes - but I don't know if it still does:- :confused:
    http://yesitsnumberone.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/an-announcement.html
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the Popscene website, there is a forum which lists episodes from 1978 which aren't in circulation - so if you want to you can work out which Savile and DLT (unless the situation changes) shows that will not be shown and weren't shown on UK Gold either.
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to wikipedia here are the episodes from 1978 repeated on UK Gold http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Top_of_the_Pops_episodes_aired_on_UK_Gold#1978 and when we get a bit further on in the run there is that Jimmy Savile hosted show 0on the BBC Motion gallery which did'nt get a uk gold airing which we can view :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, a great song, and only people who have no sense of humour and expect their songs to be all serious and meaningful moan about it.

I first heard that song on Steve Wright's Radio 1 show back at the time, and knowing what his show used to be full of, simply thought I was listening to one of his own creations and that he had himself added frogs and stuff to a basic new Paul McCartney tune. I was quite amused when I later heard it again elsewhere, exactly the same.

It seems to me that people either love McCartney, or Lennon as soloists, but I love both, and have plenty of solo tracks by each. Regarding Mull Of Kintyre, I once heard the late John Peel talking about the time he first heard the song, and he mentioned thinking that it immediately sounded like a song that had been written a century ago, and was an immediate classic sounding track. I think it was a compliment, and likely explains why it was the biggest selling single of all time by the time it exited the singles chart later in 1978.

Regardless of the merits of the song itself, I just hate bagpipes! Compared to 1972's appalling Amazing Grace with the pipes that ended up that years best seller, Mull Of Kintyre is more than acceptable in comparison.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    When was Renaissance's A Song For All Seasons in the charts? Along with Northern Lights? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOr7BXy9Zrk
    'A Song For All Seasons' charted on 19/08/78. 'Northern Lights' was still in the top 20 at the time, on its way down from a number 10 peak.

The chart run of the album: 60-43-35-36-44-39-48-OUT-50-OUT

One of the tracks on the album was 'Back Home Once Again' which, in a shortened version, was the theme tune to the ITV childrens TV programme "The Paper Lads".

Does anyone else remember this programme that ran in three series from 1977 to 1979?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLEIE8WD0X4

Being a Geordie it's nice to see some shots of Newcastle in the opening titles. Good song too.
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was anyone else laughing at Brotherhood of Man.....And I forgot how gorgeous Peter Powell used to be,,
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As previously mentioned, it seems the best music was used as the intro and outro most annoyingly. The Odyssey track is the best on this edition by a mile. After this hit, strangely they waited until Summer 1980 for the next hit, a No1!

Whoever the heck Long Tall Ernie & The Shakers were, the only question crossing my mind as I watched them was which pub near to TV Centre they had dragged them out of and into the studio that day? I immediately noticed the Chris Ecclestone likeness too. Never in a million years should they have been on TOTP with such patent amateur rubbish. Couldn't even mime, my God.

I think David Soul was pushing his luck by now. He should have just kept it at 3 singles, then his chart career would look quite impressive, with a 1-2-1. Nice set Legs & Co had to prance around this week.

The Baby's, it was a few moments before it clicked that I was looking at John "Missin You" Waite. Know nothing of the group, but quite enjoyed the record, enough to give it a second listen. Red trousers too! All the rage at the moment, and I got a pair just like that for Xmas. :cool:

Wogan just knew he was taking the P, if he was taking himself seriously then I would have been more worried. How he manages to look essentially exactly the same today as back then is lucky on him. No Wigon there I think!

Tonight's lead singer immediately reminded me of Roger Daltrey and The Who in his performance. The song was nothing though.

After Figaro I think we can say goodbye to Brotherhood Of Man as a major singles success group, bar some minor hit later in '78, which I've no idea what it goes like.

Just before Peter Powell introduced the No1 by Wings I suddenly did a double take, and a triple take, as the unexpected features of Bruno Brookes stared almost menacingly into my TV screen from the right! He was planning his future TOTP and Top 40 domination right there and then! I wonder if he knew Powell even at that point, and that is how he got on the show. After all, didn't Powell become his manager/agent later on?

It was an odd TOTP this 5th January edition. All over the place. For the first time it is almost possible to say that this weeks Top 10 might just be better than back then? After all, nothing of the David Bowie calibre was on tonight was it! :)

Creepy when you realise that both had a relationship with Anthea Turner, Powell was married to her. He was her manager too.....Powell was a very cool DJ, Bruno Brookes a small man with a really nasty streak.
This discussion has been closed.