QI Series L Taping Thread

samusek2samusek2 Posts: 3,882
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Well, it's that time of year again when Stephen Fry, Alan Davies and co. start filming the new series of QI.. (16 episodes over the course of 6 weeks in May and June). The first taping is tomorrow night.

Who do you guys think will be this year's rookies? How many of last year's class will return this year? Any regulars sitting this series out? Has anyone heard any news or rumours about any future groupings?

Last year's rookie class was Noel Fielding, Colin Lane, Graham Linehan, Tim Minchin, Trevor Noah, Brendan O'Carroll, Richard Osman, Sara Pascoe, Katherine Ryan, Janet Street-Porter, Isy Suttie, Josh Widdicombe and Victoria Wood.

Anyways, let the chat and discussion begin!:D:kitty:

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I can't think of any decent new comedians this year.

Some others though
    Greg Davies
    Steve Punt
    Jennifer Saunders
    Steve Pemberton
    Reece Shearsmith
    Bob Mortimer
  • playa1playa1 Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stewart Lee maybe?
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Jennifer Saunders is a good shout by degsyhufc. She's been on Have I Got News For You and The Guess List this year, so it wouldn't be a surprise to see her pop up on QI too.

I think Aisling Bea might be another one making her debut.
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Jennifer Saunders
    Steve Pemberton
    Reece Shearsmith
    Bob Mortimer

I'd like to see all of these plus Charlie Brooker and Richard Ayoade.
    Forum Member
    I think Jennifer Saunders is a good shout by degsyhufc. She's been on Have I Got News For You and The Guess List this year, so it wouldn't be a surprise to see her pop up on QI too.

I think Aisling Bea might be another one making her debut.
    Ah good shout. I did post that she could be a contender for QI after her decent appearances on Cats/Countdown.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Well by law now there has to be one woman per show, so I expect there'll be a couple of double appearances through the series. Probably Sandi Toksvig and Jo Guest. It'd be a laugh if they just had the same woman on every single episode.

It's also the 50th anniversary of BBC2, so maybe there'll be people from notable comedy shows from the past such as The Fast Show, Not the 9 O'Clock News, Goodies, Young Ones, etc.

Or people from other BBC2 shows like Food & Drink or This Life.Is Bamber Gascoigne still in good working order?

And is/was Jeremy Clarkson going to feature or is he now on the BBC naughty step? Never mind, I'm sure after a couple of years it'll all be forgotten and he'll come back for Series N.
  • skillerskiller Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well by law now there has to be one woman per show, so I expect there'll be a couple of double appearances through the series. Probably Sandi Toksvig and Jo Guest.
    Now we're talking! :cool:
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    skiller wrote: »
    Now we're talking! :cool:

She'll probably on the same episode as Melinda Messenger and Sam Fox - those well known Footlights alumni. :D
  • dippydoradippydora Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Miranda Hart?
  • Scotty_WaldenScotty_Walden Posts: 1,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny Baker is filming today.
    Forum Member
    It's also the 50th anniversary of BBC2, so maybe there'll be people from notable comedy shows from the past such as The Fast Show, Not the 9 O'Clock News, Goodies, Young Ones, etc.
    Graeme Garden was very good on the show. Shame he only made one appearance.
  • MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And is/was Jeremy Clarkson going to feature or is he now on the BBC naughty step? Never mind, I'm sure after a couple of years it'll all be forgotten and he'll come back for Series N.

Interesting username considering subject matter!!

Anyway yes, he was at tonight's taping with Danny Baker and Sandi Toksvig. And, according to Alan Davies, he got a standing ovation.

Get that Guardian/Mirror/Mail. A liberal, intelligent, broad-minded audience gave Jeremy Clarkson a standing ovation.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MeicY wrote: »

Anyway yes, he was at tonight's taping with Danny Baker and Sandi Toksvig. And, according to Alan Davies, he got a standing ovation.

Get that Guardian/Mirror/Mail. A liberal, intelligent, broad-minded audience gave Jeremy Clarkson a standing ovation.

Sounds a bit cringeworthy.

He's survived a pretty poor attempt at starting a media bandwagon against him; not a stint in Robben Island.
  • dottzie38dottzie38 Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would be great to see Jennifer Saunders but I'd love to see Emma Thompson and Prof Brian Cox again :D
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sara Pascoe would be my choice for 'the woman one', was very good last term.
    Could do without panelists who are there just to muck about - plenty of other shows for them to do that, should be remembered that QI is supposed to be "Quite Interesting" not "Quite Idiotic".
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    Sara Pascoe would be my choice for 'the woman one', was very good last term.
    Could do without panelists who are there just to muck about - plenty of other shows for them to do that, should be remembered that QI is supposed to be "Quite Interesting" not "Quite Idiotic".
    I thought she tried too hard to just give facts. It's supposed to be a relaxed chatty comedy show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    MeicY wrote: »

Well that's one episode I won't bother watching then. I guess that makes me a fascist, thick, and narrow minded individual but even thickos like me have principles.:cool:
    Forum Member
    They're probably all scripted and guests booked now but I was just thinking they could have had an episode called "Life" and one of the guests could be Sir David Attenborough.
  • james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I thought she tried too hard to just give facts. It's supposed to be a relaxed chatty comedy show.

sometimes certain comedians do just try and be centre of attention though and that can be just as boring Ross noble and Sean Locke are prime examples
  • samusek2samusek2 Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here are the guests for the first two weeks of tapings.

Week 1:
    Luck and Losing: Danny Baker, Jeremy Clarkson, Sandi Toksvig
    Lethal: Bill Bailey, Jason Manford, Sandi Toksvig
    Long Lost: Jimmy Carr, Claudia O'Doherty, Suggs

Week 2:
    L Animals: Colin Lane, Sarah Millican, Ross Noble
    ?: Jo Brand, Colin Lane, David Mitchell
    ?: Kathy Lette, Ross Noble, Sue Perkins

Interesting first timers There's not a lot of new comedians this year and I guess they love the Australians.
    Forum Member
    Never heard of Claudia O'Doherty before
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they should just do QI XL shows and call it QI, Two separate shows is unnecessary as Dave usually repeats 45 min versions in hour slots.
    Forum Member
    The beeb tend to do it with some of it's panel shows.
    QI, HIGNFY, Room 101

For the past few series i've only watched the extended edition of HIGNFY but this series I have watched both versions on several occasions and the extended editions haven't had any decent added content.
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish I lived in London as I'd get tickets to the filming.
  • MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prime time Friday night slots come in 30 minute chunks though. If QI goes out on Friday night 10pm on BBC2 as I expect it to, it will follow HIGNFY and whatever is on at 9:30 on BBC 1. Putting a 45 minute thing in there either means starting it at 9:45 or pushing Newsnight back to 10:45, both fairly pointless exercises as you'd be left with a 15 minute gap to fill somewhere with yet another repeat of Coast, thus plunging your continuing viewership.