BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I accept that any award is the collective opinions of judges who are only human.

However to dismiss this as Radio 5 live just throwing their weight by behind Queen Vic is a very superficial analysis and is factually wrong. Five also won a gold award for the day we won Wimbledon and the Campbell/Burden show was nominated for an award. Also what the hell has the Sandell investigation got to do with Vic's show? The idea that a presenter should be denied an award because of something her partner may or may not have done is a nonsense.

You can find all the winners on the Radio Academy website. Prizes were in fact well scattered amongst all kinds of stations. The site will also tell you who the Judges were.
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyone notice that the ex Labour MP The Right Honorable Jacqui Smith and obviously well known radio expert, was on the judging panel.She once did some shockingly awful and amateurish documentaries on 5live and on my local BBC radio station, Radio WM a while ago.After being sacked as an MP the BBC tried to turn her into some kind of radio personality and authority much like they tried to do with another of their Labour chummy friends, Alastair Campbell but thankfully failed.

Going on her past record I wouldn't even contemplate Smiths judgement skills on anything.
  • hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snossis wrote: »
    Congratulations to Victoria Derbyshire on winning the Speech Radio Broadcaster Award at the Radio Academy Awards tonight, as well as being placed third in the News and Current Affairs category.

Don't forget that other superb Five Live presenter Danny Baker also won an award.

So they move to Salford and the two presenter awards picked up by Five Live produce their shows from London.
    Classic!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=hatpeg;72655233}
    So they move to Salford and the two presenter awards picked up by Five Live produce their shows from London.
    Classic![/QUOTE]

No please stop ...I've had too much laughter for one day :)
  • mmlabbdmmlabbd Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hatpeg wrote: »
    Don't forget that other superb Five Live presenter Danny Baker also won an award.

Classic!

Well that's not quite true is it hatpeg, Vic's programme is very much produced from Salford.
  • Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Was she in Salford today? Rachel Burden was there on the webcam at 6 a.m. despite being at the awards ceremony in London the previous night.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    As many have said if listening figures for individual shows are so wonderful why not publish them.

You attack and dismiss anybody who is at all critical of 5 live and say they will not accept their views do not represent the majority of listeners. But the fact you never accept any criticism of 5 live as being justified could it not be said that you are equally unwilling to accept other viewpoints?

I'm not quite sure where i've attacked anyone here and it's pretty clear from my posts here that I think 5 live is far from perfect. I choose not to bang on about it and just not listen to the shows and presenters I don't like.

I will challenge views I don't agree with however and don't like things being worded as fact when clearly it's just someone's opinion. To state that vd has bad rajars just because a few people here don't like her is wrong. It's just a wild assumption as is my belief that the opposite is true. There are some.people who seem to just enjoy slating certain presenters at every opportunity.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers loz.

Thats the best laugh I have had in a long while. :D

You can almost hear her fellow 5live presenters shouting out in dismay WTF !! :)

Thanks Cyril I like to make people smile when I can... (unlike Queen Vic' s content) :D

Not just 5live presenters....I can run my list again but seriously VD over :
    Ferrari/Bull/Frances Finn/Robert Elms/Jo Goode/John Humphreys/Penny Smith/Julia Hartley-Brewer/Simon Lederman/Kath Melandri/Nick Abbott/Michelle Hussain/Jane Garvey........and so on.....shows what a pointless back slapping exercise the whole thing is......I agree Oscars are usually films to avoid I think these radio awards fall into the same bracket..... :p
  • franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with awards is that they will always be subjective. Many radio "personalities" are marmite of course.

Would love to know how much time and money the BBC spend as a whole on entering these awards every year. At £108 a time, it must be a fair amount of money.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    Thanks Cyril I like to make people smile when I can... (unlike Queen Vic' s content) :D

Not just 5live presenters....I can run my list again but seriously VD over :
    Ferrari/Bull/Frances Finn/Robert Elms/Jo Goode/John Humphreys/Penny Smith/Julia Hartley-Brewer/Simon Lederman/Kath Melandri/Nick Abbott/Michelle Hussain/Jane Garvey........and so on.....shows what a pointless back slapping exercise the whole thing is......I agree Oscars are usually films to avoid I think these radio awards fall into the same bracket..... :p

Surely, when comparing against such a list,even Derbyshire's staunchest fan and/or defender must wonder at this nomination and result.
  • AxolotlAxolotl Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    To be honest, it's more that I prefer to listen to speech radio than music during the night. I like to fall asleep with the radio on but if music comes on it tends to wake me up.

That said, the Virtual Jukebox feature, good as it may have been in the early days of it running, has long ceased to be of any use. It has simply gone on for too long and has more than outstayed its welcome.

I'm the same. I drift off to sleep with R5L and, if I wake up in the night, I listen to whatever's on until I doze off again. Somehow I always wake up at the start of Virtual Jukebox and switch straight over to World Service.

I don't think there's a place for this on R5L as there are plenty of other choices if you want music. Anyway, this tosh is past it sell-by date and I think it's just there for Dotun to indulge himself and mouth off about all the stars he knows from when he was a music journo or who he's met through his wife (yawn).
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Axolotl wrote: »
    I'm the same. I drift off to sleep with R5L and, if I wake up in the night, I listen to whatever's on until I doze off again. Somehow I always wake up at the start of Virtual Jukebox and switch straight over to World Service.

I don't think there's a place for this on R5L as there are plenty of other choices if you want music. Anyway, this tosh is past it sell-by date and I think it's just there for Dotun to indulge himself and mouth off about all the stars he knows from when he was a music journo or who he's met through his wife (yawn).

It's just there to fill time I think. With everything on 5 live overnights they seem to make it 3 times as long as it needs to be and it's generally not that interesting in the first place. I dip in for Dr Carl or catch it on i player sometimes but that's it.

Sharp justr sounds like he couldn't care less and Dotun sounds like he cares but no one else does. Aparently Rhod was good once and seems well liked by some on here but I can't hear what all the fuss is about. If he was good once he's clearly past it.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    It's just there to fill time I think. With everything on 5 live overnights they seem to make it 3 times as long as it needs to be and it's generally not that interesting in the first place. I dip in for Dr Carl or catch it on i player sometimes but that's it.

Sharp justr sounds like he couldn't care less and Dotun sounds like he cares but no one else does. Aparently Rhod was good once and seems well liked by some on here but I can't hear what all the fuss is about. If he was good once he's clearly past it.

Agreed. Definitely sounds to be going through the motions of late (well at least six months).
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Very poor interview of Nick Griffin by Nicky Campbell this norming. NC trying to be clever talking about black England players and the origin of the surnames of some members in a BNP election leaflet. Yes the BNP are a vile racist organisation but he should be allowed to talk about policy so people can make their own decision.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very poor interview of Nick Griffin by Nicky Campbell this norming. NC trying to be clever talking about black England players and the origin of the surnames of some members in a BNP election leaflet. Yes the BNP are a vile racist organisation but he should be allowed to talk about policy so people can make their own decision.

I have just posted the same thing on 5live........ it was a dreadful interview (if it can be called that) and Campbell needs to be given a large kick up the backside for presiding over it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »

It really is marvellous the accolades you can get now by just reading something off a computer screen with a finely perfected voice and written by one of your many researchers. :)
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought NC was rushing through the interview like he was reading directly from a short list of questions and points to be put to NG without any idea of how to counter any of the answers given. The whole interview became a pointless exercise as a result. But the BNP is a spent force in UK politics anyway as well as NG within that party.
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing that made me laugh last night was Phil Williams informing Rhod Sharp that queen vic had won some gold award or other and a rather puzzled and disinterested Rhod turned to Williams and said...' oh yes.. er well done Victoria...' and quickly moved on.Good old Rhod, he deserves every award going and it was priceless radio.
    I assume you're being ironic here. Rhod is one of the worst, most tedious, dithering buffoons ever to be allowed on the airwaves. Off hand to the point of rudeness toward anybody talking about a subject he has no interest in. The funniest moment was when he got in a right flap during the science phone in a while ago when Dr Karl started to go a little too deeply into 'women's problems'.
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just posted the same thing on 5live........ it was a dreadful interview (if it can be called that) and Campbell needs to be given a large kick up the backside for presiding over it.

agreed with this. the guy is clearly a nasty peace of work (Griffin not Campbell just to be clear before someone twists my post lol) but if you are going to have him on, afford him the same curtosy to talk as you'd give other people. either that, or just don't have him on...
  • Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    Oh my goodness. We now have experts in how Britain votes on this board. Not that we go in for stereotyping of course. We leave that to 5 live.

I don't then suppose that you would want to know that I have two members of my family of whom one works in the public sector and is heavily critical of the BBC whereas the other has worked in the private sector and has 5 live as his default station.

You are all still unable to accept that people might have different opinions on presenters to you.

Sadly you have to if you listen to 5 Live. Talk Sport is now my preferred option because of the reasons stated. I used to skip back during the annoying ads on TS but even the repetitive adverts are better than most of the rubbish Five Live churns out in the daytime. Sadly till we get accurate listening figures we do not know how much audience Five Live is losing.
  • Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Radio_fan wrote: »
    I decided not to comment before, as I think it must just be me and a few others who can't stand the woman and we must all be wrong. I just don't get it at all. With some other presenters that I don't particularly care for, like Nolan, I can stick it out and find parts of it of interest, but with VD I just have to turn off after a few minutes and hearing the subject matter. It is always such a relief when someone, anyone, else is on the programme and I don't have to switch off.

No you are in the silent majority Phil - it is like she has hired some mercenaries on here to defend her lately! Just switch over when she comes on it is much easier and good for the blood pressure!
  • Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the other day I was called vermin(as in crawling out of the woodwork),a Luvvie and now apparently I am a mercenary. Any more insults?

For the record, I hardly ever listen to Queen Vic mainly because I am working. I wouldn't lose any sleep if she left the station.

What I have done is to object to frequent references to Derbyshire's private life. Other presenters who are attacked here don't get that kind of comment this despite the fact that for example Nicky Campbell was involved in a fairly acrimonious divorce some years ago. In Mr. Campbell's case nobody here claims he should not broadcast because of that business and that is quite right. I also query the claim here that Victoria only keeps her job because of her other half. I accept that may be an opinion but please don't present it as fact unless of course you have evidence.

My point about the Radio Academy awards is to state the obvious that not everybody agrees with the views expressed here and it is highly unlikely she will leave anytime soon. As for listening figures, even if you could show that a lot of people switch over at 10.00 the BBC would say that as a public service broadcaster it has a duty to cater for minority audiences. You may say what a load of rubbish but that is what you would get.

I do listen to other stations including Talksport, LBC, Radio 4 and my own BBC Local and yes I infinitely prefer Julia Hartley Brewer to Richard Bacon. I can't cope with Chris Evans and Danny Baker(another Radio Academy winner). I choose to listen to something else when they are on.

Yes not everyone agrees on what makes a good or bad presenter and simply being rude to those who disagree with you does not alter that fact.

I
  • AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't like Derbyshire (and I don't) or Colin Murray (and I really, really don't), try an alternative. Sean O'Rourke on RTE Radio 1 is an excellent broadcaster in my view. You can listen online although in my car I get it on 252 LW.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was a disgraceful interview. The BNP have elected representatives in the European parliament and however unsavoury people find them, are entitled to be treated in as balanced a way as any other party. The interview was gratuitously confrontational from the first second and ended up going nowhere.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    You would have thought Derbyshire's show might have been more popular amongst Guardian readers - but certainly not looking at the comments on this article about her award.. http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/may/12/bbc-radio-2-station-of-the-year-radio-academy-awards
This discussion has been closed.