Options

Red Lipstick

PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone here wear red lipstick ?

I very rarely wore lipstick although I do have heavily made up smokey eyes. If I did wear a lipstick it would be a nude colour.

But the other day I saw a lady wearing a red lipstick and I had this sudden urge to wear it to. I looked in my makeup drawer and I had a few different ones that had been bought for me over the years, or been in a Clinique bonus bag. So - I am now red lipped (although one of them is quite a bright pink), but I can't help wondering if it suits me. I don't have anyone to ask as my husband wouldn't have a clue and I work with just blokes.

Does red lipstick suit everyone ?

Comments

• Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »

I very rarely wore lipstick although I do have heavily made up smokey eyes. If I did wear a lipstick it would be a nude colour.

But the other day I saw a lady wearing a red lipstick and I had this sudden urge to wear it to. I looked in my makeup drawer and I had a few different ones that had been bought for me over the years, or been in a Clinique bonus bag. So - I am now red lipped (although one of them is quite a bright pink), but I can't help wondering if it suits me. I don't have anyone to ask as my husband wouldn't have a clue and I work with just blokes.

No, I dont think it does. Some shades of red lipstick can also make teeth look yellow. Strange.
  • Options
    RubydollRubydoll Posts: 1,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think colour choices and textures are getting better, I've just only started wearing red myself, I love clinique Chubby stick two ton tomato balm which is lovely but not too strong and B vibrant lip and cheek (alecia)from superdrug which is more matt and stronger in colour ,neither make my teeth yellow but brighter actually. I have fair yellow toned skin. But I seem to me the only one amongst my friends that do wear red, they state it wouldn't suit them, I think it would but heyho.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I wear it on a night out but wouldn't during the day.
  • Options
    OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    I think red lipstick can suit everyone, you just need to know what shades suit your colouring/complexion.:)

I used to think red lipstick would never suit me, and even now I am pretty sure some won't. I have dark blonde hair and am quite fair and I usually wear darker red lipsticks as they suit me quite well.

Like Lacey I mainly wear red lipsticks on a night out and always with subtle eye/face make up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a nice Bourjois one, the lady at Sephora helped me pick it out AND it was on special offer, paid about 10 pounds for it.

I wear it from time to time, I have a couple of nude coloured spring / summer dresses that I like to wear with red lipstick.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wear it a lot but I wear a lot of 50's/vintage inspired clothes so it goes with the whole overall look. I don't wear it if I'm in my work clothes or in regular jeans and top as it would look odd.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It definitely doesn't suit me. I've tried many shades over the years and every single one of them looked terrible. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    It definitely doesn't suit me. I've tried many shades over the years and every single one of them looked terrible. :(

Is that because it looks different though ? This is what im not sure of. I normally wear nude / beige shades, so when I wear red it looks odd to me. But is that because im not used to seeing it on my face - or if it truly doesn't suit me / you ?
  • Options
    housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member

No I think it looks good on some young people but can look yak on some older people.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer lighter shades.
    I did have a Dita von Teese on once but gave it away as it made me look daft at my age to have red lips.
    Found this on the net...
    http://www.lisaeldridge.com/video/1646/how-to-wear-dramatic-matte-red-lipstick-a-la-dita-von-teese/#.U77eqvldWSo
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I think red lippy suits all women, it's just finding the right shade that's the key. The shades are a lot better now- there's more choice instead of the one red shade that only seemed to suit blondes. OP, I was exactly like you - I never dreamed of wearing red lipstick as I was very self-conscious, but one day I saw a woman rocking a gorgeous red lipstick & she looked great. So I thought, 'if she can wear it, so can I' :D

And I'm sure your lippy suits you. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I'm sure your lippy suits you. :)

I hope so - thanks :blush:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i got a nice red one from local body care shop..it's nice on and have a certain taste to it, like strawberry or raspberry ..i wear it most days
  • Options
    ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking about this recently. The main concern I have is that it very much defines your lips and I'm worried my lips aren't a good enough shape to carry it off. I have quite a small mouth and my top lip doesn't have a well-defined cupid's bow so I feel I'd have to 'create' one with such a bold shade. I only normally use lip gloss/balm/paler lipsticks so it doesn't seem so much of an issue.

I'd want to get someone to apply mine for me to see how to make my cupid's bow look ok without it looking drawn on!

I have really dark hair, green eyes, and fairly pale skin however I am quite tanned at the moment so I don't know what shade would really suit me.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A rich red looks stunning but only on young smooth faces and as someone else said it can make teeth look yellow.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends what sort of red you get blue based, pink based or orange based tone reds can look good on different people, there isn't just a traditional red anymore imo, Ruby Woo by MAC still is fab and best statement red lippie.