BluRay discs - Too expensive ?

Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
Forum Member
✭✭
I don't think BluRay will take off in big way until the discs come down in price to something like £10.
Do you think this is likely to happen ?
You can get a player for £60 in Tesco's :eek: so I think the price drop is starting to happen, but not fast enough !
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-6218.aspx
I don't have a BluRay player yet. Is this one worth getting ?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    Will you just get one already! :)

Blu-rays are not that more expensive - if you shop online you find that they are a couple of quid extra at most. They are similarly priced to DVD before blu-rays were on the horizon (£13 - 17 for a double disc set) now the price of DVDs have come down and the Blu-ray are about that price.

And I think you will find Blu-ray are taking off quite well, as more and more people take up the technology. My Mum and Dad now use Blu-ray and they are technophobes :)

Personally wouldn't touch Technika, as I bought DVD players back in the day and they were rubbish and ended up spending more on them as I had to buy one every year.

But others like the products so it is all down to experiences isn't it.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will you just get one already! :)

Blu-rays are not that more expensive - if you shop online you find that they are a couple of quid extra at most. They are similarly priced to DVD before blu-rays were on the horizon (£13 - 17 for a double disc set) now the price of DVDs have come down and the Blu-ray are about that price.

And I think you will find Blu-ray are taking off quite well, as more and more people take up the technology. My Mum and Dad now use Blu-ray and they are technophobes :)

Don't shout at me !:D
    I'm just biding my time !
    Is that Tesco's one (in my original post) worth getting or not ?
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    You can find plenty of blu rays for under a tenner if you look closely enough and know where to look.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Online their prices are relatively reasonable, usually only a few quid more than the DVD and often come with a DVD and/or Digital Copy as well.

However, they don't devalue as quickly as DVDs do, which is holding them back. A DVD that's been out for a year will usually drop down to £5-7, sometimes even less, whilst the Blu-Ray equivilant's usually hold their value better, making them double the price.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patience my young padawan. I remember when DVD's first came out they were quite expensive, certainly compared to video at the time. Look at them now! BluRay prices will drop eventually, they're starting to already. You can buy new releases for a pound or two more than the dvd which is excellent value considering the massive leap in quality. However there are some absurd prices going on. I was in HMV yesterday and they were asking £25 for the BluRay of the Steve Martin Pink Panther remake! Wouldn't pay 25 pence for that crap! Also as other posters have mentioned there are plenty of good value BluRay's if you shop around.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    I really don't understand the Blu Ray is too expensive complaints.
    The only thing I can think of as to why is either some are so late into adopting to DVD or they are just too young to of been an early DVD adopter so all they have ever known is DVDs for as little as £3.
    Lately for some reason Tesco Blu Ray new releases are quite expensive whereas Asda have been pretty cheap. At the moment Inception is only £14ish for triple play in Asda which I think is a bargain.
    Tesco do seem to have a large selection of £10 Blu Rays and then you have the likes of Play.com where there are bucket loads for under £10 to as little as £6.
    How much cheaper do you want them to be?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    I really don't understand the Blu Ray is too expensive complaints.
    The only thing I can think of as to why is either some are so late into adopting to DVD or they are just too young to of been an early DVD adopter so all they have ever known is DVDs for as little as £3.
    Lately for some reason Tesco Blu Ray new releases are quite expensive whereas Asda have been pretty cheap. At the moment Inception is only £14ish for triple play in Asda which I think is a bargain.
    Tesco do seem to have a large selection of £10 Blu Rays and then you have the likes of Play.com where there are bucket loads for under £10 to as little as £6.
    How much cheaper do you want them to be?

This is what I think too, I remember I first got DVD player with a computer for Christmas, I was one of the first adopters where I was, had to rent DVDs because they were £20+ for a DVD and they had little to no features (some stills, and actors bios.) Blu-rays in comparison are a good deal, especially since Online Shopping is firmly established and there are deals to be had constantly.

That is a decent price for the Triple Play Inception, and I have bought many of my Blu-rays on BOGOF or 2 for £XX, 3 for £XX etc. type deals so I am with you on the deals you get on Play/Amazon/etc.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They'll come down. Even in high street stores. HMV has some at £6.
  • grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is an old , tired and invalid argument.
    New release Blurays might be a few pound dearer than dvd's but they are much cheaper than dvd was at the same time in its life.

Go to Play.com or Amazon and there are literally hundreds of Blurays under £8.

You only need to wait a few months and you can get your discs for peanuts.

Those dumb enough to buy from the High Street or supermarkets can expect to be ripped off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    People who say that Blu Ray is too expensive obviously haven't shopped around enough. Most of the time it's only about £2 or £3 more than the DVD version, and most of the time you get more extras on the BR, and sometimes even a longer/uncut version of the film. Never buy new stuff from HMV or high street stores (unless it's on offer) as you'll invariably get ripped off. Most of the stuff that HMV lists as £19.99 instore can be found for about £14.99 on Play.com or Amazon.co.uk.

Blu Ray is definitely worth it, my collection is now quite vast, and i've not bought a DVD for about 2 years now (unless it was something that isn't available on BR).
  • SiebenburgenSiebenburgen Posts: 3,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The likes of Asda has Blu Ray movies dearer than the standard DVD versions.

Centurion was £10.97p on DVD and £22.97p on Blu Ray. **** that!.

I bought The Book of Eli for £7 on DVD and the Blu Ray version was £17.97p again... eff that!.

Every shop I go into, be it HMV, Asda, Tesco, etc. I never see anyone at the Blu Ray section. NEVER. They always walk passed and go to the DVD section. I spent nearly 18 months going back and fourth to HMV and I spent nearly an hour in the shop each time I was in. Due to the DVD selection they had. No one in the time I spent in there ever went to the Blu Ray section.

Blu Ray is a con. It is too early to replace DVD with such a format. DVD hasn't even been out as long as VHS had been before it got replaced.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just think of Blu-Ray as more of a collectors format, like MFSL's CDs (although it isn't marketed as such). If I want to see a movie a handful of times, I'd pick up the DVD. If it's a stone cold classic that I'm going to watch time and time again, I'd invest the extra money and get it in the best format available. The picture quality even on very old movies is stunning to the point that it really increases your enjoyment and appreciation of the film (the recent King Kong Blu-Ray for example).
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ]
    revolver44 wrote: »
    Patience my young padawan. I remember when DVD's first came out they were quite expensive, certainly compared to video at the time. Look at them now! BluRay prices will drop eventually, they're starting to already.

Also as other posters have mentioned there are plenty of good value BluRay's if you shop around.

yes!! I remember the prices of VHS back in the day. they where rediculiously priced!!! but it was all we have!!

another good example of cheaper BD if you look around - Predators is 19.99 in HMV, go to play.com and you can get the same version of that film with all the extra - plus Pred 1 and 2 - all for 23.00!!!

its what i just ordered!!! not that I was overly keen to have Pred 1 and 2 on BD, as i was happy with them on DVD, but i was to pay fo that movie - I may as well pay a few quid more for the other 2 films.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I KNOW that BluRays can be cheaper online.
    I was referring to the SHOP price of BluRays being expensive compared to the DVD !
    I don't think the average shopper will go online, and when faced with the price of a BluRay, will get the DVD version
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Yes, I KNOW that BluRays can be cheaper online.
    I was referring to the SHOP price of BluRays being expensive compared to the DVD !
    I don't think the average shopper will go online, and when faced with the price of a BluRay, will get the DVD version

Yes it's a fact that Blu Ray will always be more expensive compared to the DVD equivalent, but when you can walk into the likes of Tesco and Blockbuster and purchase a selection of Blu Rays for £10 and under would you really still go for the DVD version as it's cheaper?
    It's also a fact that new releases cost more than what they will do in a few months down the line so the simple thing would be to not buy new releases and just wait a little longer.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What you need to do is develop a career in the media industry, so that you can have contacts at all the major film/home entertainment distribution companies and get your friends to pick them up for you at staff prices (typically £5-8) :p
  • AppleTangoAppleTango Posts: 1,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blu-ray has been consistently cheaper since it's introduction than VHS or DVD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blu-Ray is more expensive than DVD's because they are more advanced and a better quality than DVD. DVD was more expensive than VHS because they were more advanced and a better quality. VHS were expensiver because there was nothing like them.

Thats why they are and thats why they are doing well because they were more advanced and a better quality.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do people expect to pay the same price as a DVD for a blu-ray, when blu-ray is obviously a much better format?
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Do people expect to pay the same price as a DVD for a blu-ray, when blu-ray is obviously a much better format?

More than likely, yes. All some see is the same disc format with more options.

I don't mind paying the odd Pound or two more for a Blu-Ray, its when they've been over priced I leave them sitting on the shelf.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually look up reviews on blu-rays for there quality to see if they are worth the extra price, more than likely they are. They are more expensive for a good reason. They are better than DVD's
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    Online prices are okay although I still tend to stick to £15 max.

When you go HMV they seriously take the piss. Cant believe people pay some of their prices. £20+ for a film is a joke!

Maybe you should think about getting a media player instead. People will probably bitch on here about it but fcuk it.

I recently got one as lots of asian films I like take way too long to get released over here on blu-ray.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    Online prices are okay although I still tend to stick to £15 max.

When you go HMV they seriously take the piss. Cant believe people pay some of their prices. £20+ for a film is a joke!

Maybe you should think about getting a media player instead. People will probably bitch on here about it but fcuk it.

I recently got one as lots of asian films I like take way too long to get released over here on blu-ray.

HMV definately do. Looked for 500 days of summer in HMV DVD: £3.99 Blu-Ray: £23.99. Went past Blockbuster Blu-Ray: £9
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    HMV definately do. Looked for 500 days of summer in HMV DVD: £3.99 Blu-Ray: £23.99. Went past Blockbuster Blu-Ray: £9

I went in to HMV once and asked for Sin Nonbre on Blu-Ray as I couldnt find it on the shelf. Guy found it for me and it was £22. I got out my phone, checked the price on amazon and it was £9.99.

Told the guy HMV need to get some reality with the pricing before I buy a Blu Ray from them.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blu-rays are ridiculously expensive. They have been increased expecially for xmas

avoid buying at all costs for more than £10