Top Gear

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't enjoy tonight's as much as I usually do:o
    In fairness, though, there was a lot of chatter going on in my house while it was on, so it may be that I just wasn't giving it my full attention.
    Steven Tyler is, um, unusual, isn't he???
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Loved tonight's episode... much better than last weeks. I just didn't enjoy that hovervan business for some reason.

Loved seeing Mr.Aerosmith on there, and the caravan segment was brilliant. :D
  • mani84mani84 Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Loved tonight's episode... much better than last weeks. I just didn't enjoy that hovervan business for some reason.

Loved seeing Mr.Aerosmith on there, and the caravan segment was brilliant. :D

Last weeks hovervan sketch was terrible. The falseness of it was really cringey
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally forgot it was on tonight...for the very first time.

The hovervan bit last week just went on too long - it would have been excellent had it been half the length and been punchy with the minimum of set-ups - the one blowing all the plastic furniture was just too set-up...I don't mind the odd set-up...it is after all Last Of The Summerwine with cars but when the go too far with a gag it just smacks of desparation.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,478
    Forum Member
    mani84 wrote: »
    Hi guys first post on here so go easy on me. Love top gear but this series has been poor to say the least.

What's all the hate for the daily mail?

Hypocrisy, mainly. It constantly attacks the BBC for misleading viewers, while printing all sorts of made-up pish which panders to the views of its readership. Also, it portrays itself as some sort of moral compass while salivating over images of scantily-dressed celebrities, and they're not too bothered about how old they are:

http://www.anorak.co.uk/346493/celebrities/the-daily-mails-interest-in-curvy-underage-girls.html/
    Forum Member
    Hypocrisy, mainly. It constantly attacks the BBC for misleading viewers, while printing all sorts of made-up pish which panders to the views of its readership. Also, it portrays itself as some sort of moral compass while salivating over images of scantily-dressed celebrities, and they're not too bothered about how old they are:

http://www.anorak.co.uk/346493/celebrities/the-daily-mails-interest-in-curvy-underage-girls.html/

To be fair though, every episode of top gear misleads us because most of it is set up and fake.

Maybe it's run it's course with me? I love the show but last weeks hovervan episode left a sour taste in my mouth.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I now skip past any fast supercar bits, SIRPC, and items like the hovervan which are all just so predictable. Means I watch the prog in under 10 minutes and get on with life!

Top Gear has run it's course - in the current format, anyway.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    I now skip past any fast supercar bits, SIRPC, and items like the hovervan which are all just so predictable. Means I watch the prog in under 10 minutes and get on with life!

Top Gear has run it's course - in the current format, anyway.

Well, it's run its course for you[/i]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I agree that the smashing up of caravans is brilliant but it does seem that caravans are extremely flimsy surely there must be some safety standards they have to meet.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am first with this?

I'm shocked (not!)
    Forum Member
    I was watching 'Hacker Time' on CBBC. Imagine my shock, disgust and outrage when I realised that I was not watching a real talking dog, but a mere puppet! I was outraged, disgusted and shocked at the BBC's cynical behaviour.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    I was watching 'Hacker Time' on CBBC. Imagine my shock, disgust and outrage when I realised that I was not watching a real talking dog, but a mere puppet! I was outraged, disgusted and shocked at the BBC's cynical behaviour.

It's a kids show, and what does that have to do with Top Gear?
  • SeventeenSeventeen Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    To be fair though, every episode of top gear misleads us because most of it is set up and fake.

Do you think they honestly set out to mislead people in to thinking it's all real? I know some people think that, but it's pretty damn obvious it's a mostly scripted and very light-hearted show.

A lot of what they claim to do would be illegal if it wasn't planned out with permission from all the right people. Not to mention all the health and safety issues.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Last weeks hovervan sketch was terrible. The falseness of it was really cringey

You must really hate Hollywood films! :D
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    It's a kids show, and what does that have to do with Top Gear?

The fact it's a kid's show is irrelevant. The BBC are misleading the public. At no point do they inform the viewer that Hacker T Dog is actually a puppet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    I am first with this?

I'm shocked (not!)

Yes, I'm not shocked at the gruniad trying to make a story out of nothing - you'd have to be a moron not to realiseit was a) faked and b) the whole point was that it was supposed to faked for a few laughs...only a few of course as it did go on for too long...less is more with the fakery bits in Top Gear.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    The fact it's a kid's show is irrelevant. The BBC are misleading the public. At no point do they inform the viewer that Hacker T Dog is actually a puppet.

The fact there's a string attached should be enough. And the show doesn't usually attract viewers as young as 5.
  • calatheacalathea Posts: 780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone care to point me in the direction of anything that ever claimed that Top Gear is factually correct? Its a program about cars but enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
    Forum Member
    calathea wrote: »
    Anyone care to point me in the direction of anything that ever claimed that Top Gear is factually correct? Its a program about cars but enthusiasts for enthusiasts.

Surely the reviews they do of cars are factually correct?
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    I am first with this?

I'm shocked (not!)

This is just ridiculous.
    I mean do these people really believe that the TARDIS genuinely travels through time and space and that the Queen Vic is an actual pub?

This is television, specifically an entertainment programme, and not a documentary, and it's obvious to anyone with an ounce of common sense that scenes like diners being soaked by a hover-van are staged, scripted and very carefully planned to ensure the most comedic value. Whether you find this sort of thing funny is a different matter - comedy is clearly very subjective, but surely it's absolutely obvious to everyone that it's all staged?

Who are these people that are allegedly 'shocked' that Top Gear didn't actually soak genuine restaurant diners? Have they really nothing better to with their lives than make up stupid and idiotic complaints about Top Gear?
  • chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I particularly loved the bit in the car park that looked like Jeremy was knocking one out when he was squeakily cleaning his steering wheel
  • DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mazda are better cars than VW so that bit was true.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    Really? I wouldn't want a car that brakes (or breaks for that matter) all by itself like this Mazda appeared to do.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/jul/29/top-gear-bbc-faked-hovercraft-van-stunt

How the hell did some people not know those were actors, pmsl :D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.