Friend advice sorry it's long

andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all hope someone can help. I am 31 and my friend is 32, we have been friends since starting high school together 20 years ago. Even then we were hugely different, he was confident and popular, I did better in lessons. Through high school we were inseparable and same for the first year at college, even though our courses were in different buildings, I stayed on as my course was 2 years and he went off and got a job. We kept on touch a fair bit, the trend continued I was more reliable, organised with money etc, he would spend all his wage on payday but would always land on his feet, plus being more confident and outgoing he had loads more friends than me. He was 20 and I was 19 when we had our first falling out, he had been engaged and split from her, I started going out with someone, they really disliked each other and one day I made an excuse to not meet up and went out with the girlfriend, I found out that day she had been cheating on me, words were exchanged and we didn't speak much for a few months. We would exchange numbers if these changed then a couple of years later I found out he was going out with someone I worked with, then he got a job with me. The girlfriend took a dislike to me and spread lies which he believed. I was annoyed at this and he then got engaged to her, they had a son together. As time went on he realised this situation wouldn't change. I was 27 and he was 28 when they split, she had cheated on him, made him do things that lost him another job where all 3 of us worked and he was back on touch regularly again. This carried on for about a year until contact was less and less frequent, usually asking if where he was sacked from had jobs going. Then suddenly a revelation, engaged again and getting married in Africa. I saw him about a year ago in town, vowed to keep in touch, he would text if he wanted a job reference etc, this meeting it was me with the drama- I had met someone and was engaged and getting married. We met a few months ago and he is getting divorced, she cheated on him and he lives at his mums, conversations are usually by text or what'sapp and end in him going silent, he asked who was best man at the wedding, because it's someone else he sulked, I asked if he was staying single after all this situation, he sulked, I won't go with him to meet a woman from a flirt/chat room thing (not a dating site, I suggested he try that instead) he sulks.

Am I a terrible friend?

Comments

• Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An astonishing saga of engagements, marriages, infidelities, divorces and fallings out. Send it off to East Enders, it will keep them going for years.
  • Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're certainly no friend of the paragraph. I couldn't read any of that, I got a lot of "he sulks" but that's about it.
  • andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're certainly no friend of the paragraph. I couldn't read any of that, I got a lot of "he sulks" but that's about it.

I am posting from my phone. Recently when I ask a question or offer advice that's the last I hear from him
  • Christian_GreyChristian_Grey Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WTF?!!! This forum astounds me with the utter tosh that gets posted. I tell you what andy, why don't you all head off to Jeremy Kyle?
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did find that post a bit hard to follow, OP.

But I think longterm friendships often wax and wane. And sometimes they just come to a natural end. Doesn't mean either one or both of you are bad friends or bad people. Maybe it's just time to move on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Sensible comments from Babe Rainbow. Often friendships naturally fade away as we develop, mature and circumstances change.

Mrs Mackinstish seems to have the concentration of a goldfish, has nothing useful to add but can't stop herself writing pointless comments.

Christian_Grey sounds like the sort of imbecile who thinks he's above all of this but can't resist reading, tries to make smart comments but just comes over as absurd.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    afwales wrote: »
    Sensible comments from Babe Rainbow. Often friendships naturally fade away as we develop, mature and circumstances change.

Mrs Mackinstish seems to have the concentration of a goldfish, has nothing useful to add but can't stop herself writing pointless comments.

Christian_Grey sounds like the sort of imbecile who thinks he's above all of this but can't resist reading, tries to make smart comments but just comes over as absurd.

My what a charmer you are. Have you read How To Win Friends And Influence People?

Don't know when my username changed to "Mackinstish", looks like your own concentration could be called into question, but then you're clearly trolling and you're not very good at it.

Andy's Corner. As you go through life, friendships will evolve, some will fall by the wayside, others will be there for the duration. All friendship is a "trade off" anyway, no friend is perfect, you just have to decide what you're prepared to put up with in order to get the good bits out of the relationship.
  • dorahalldorahall Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some friendships are for life, others have a finite length. It sounds as if your friendship with this man has come to a natural end, and you need to accept that. There will be other close friendships in your life, there's not a lot of point in trying to resurrect this one, you'll just end up angry and resentful.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I think you're flogging a dead horse with this friendship.

It's best to move on and let him be. When he's happier and more sorted he may want to get in touch. If you're whatsapping him and he doesn't reply, there's not much you can do.
    Stop and see what happens.
  • SealegSealeg Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    He sounds like a cock, why do you want to be his friend?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    afwales wrote: »

Absurd? How will I cope at this insult from a random off the Internet! I think I may cry myself to sleep..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absurd? How will I cope at this insult from a random off the Internet! I think I may cry myself to sleep..

Me too. I'm cut to the quick. :D

Ironic he's posting in a thread about friendship, I think it might be a bit of an alien concept for him.
  • andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is acting like a dick at the moment, will leave him to it and he knows I won't be changing address or phone number, if he wants sensible advice I won't turn him away but I won't go out playing wingman like I am single just so he can get laid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too. I'm cut to the quick. :D

Ironic he's posting in a thread about friendship, I think it might be a bit of an alien concept for him.

Perhaps we should feel honoured that he chose to write about us in of the four posts he's made since August. We must have really moved him :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps we should feel honoured that he chose to write about us in of the four posts he's made since August. We must have really moved him :D

I was thinking that as well...he's probably having a lie down after all that typing and venting his spleen :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Afwales...you have it in one :-,

Andy, how about write on a piece of paper good points and bad points, see which list is longer...maybe your answer will be right there. :-)
  • bob187bob187 Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no way a 31 year old would have said they went to "High School"
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    no, the friendship has just run its course.
  • CowieCowie Posts: 1,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your friend sounds like hard work. Not that all friendships are easy but IMO if you're spending the majority of your friendship with problems than not I'd say move on.

And who even sulks at 32 :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, hard though it is, move on. Leave the ball in his court. BTW, he sounds messed up!
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Hi all hope someone can help. I am 31 and my friend is 32, we have been friends since starting high school together 20 years ago. Even then we were hugely different, he was confident and popular, I did better in lessons. Through high school we were inseparable and same for the first year at college, even though our courses were in different buildings, I stayed on as my course was 2 years and he went off and got a job. We kept on touch a fair bit, the trend continued I was more reliable, organised with money etc, he would spend all his wage on payday but would always land on his feet, plus being more confident and outgoing he had loads more friends than me. He was 20 and I was 19 when we had our first falling out, he had been engaged and split from her, I started going out with someone, they really disliked each other and one day I made an excuse to not meet up and went out with the girlfriend, I found out that day she had been cheating on me, words were exchanged and we didn't speak much for a few months. We would exchange numbers if these changed then a couple of years later I found out he was going out with someone I worked with, then he got a job with me. The girlfriend took a dislike to me and spread lies which he believed. I was annoyed at this and he then got engaged to her, they had a son together. As time went on he realised this situation wouldn't change. I was 27 and he was 28 when they split, she had cheated on him, made him do things that lost him another job where all 3 of us worked and he was back on touch regularly again. This carried on for about a year until contact was less and less frequent, usually asking if where he was sacked from had jobs going. Then suddenly a revelation, engaged again and getting married in Africa. I saw him about a year ago in town, vowed to keep in touch, he would text if he wanted a job reference etc, this meeting it was me with the drama- I had met someone and was engaged and getting married. We met a few months ago and he is getting divorced, she cheated on him and he lives at his mums, conversations are usually by text or what'sapp and end in him going silent, he asked who was best man at the wedding, because it's someone else he sulked, I asked if he was staying single after all this situation, he sulked, I won't go with him to meet a woman from a flirt/chat room thing (not a dating site, I suggested he try that instead) he sulks.

Am I a terrible friend?

This is the script from "Beaches" isn't it?

No, you're not a terrible friend.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob187 wrote: »
    There's no way a 31 year old would have said they went to "High School"

Why wouldn't they say they went to high school?? I'm 30 and nearly 20 years ago, I too started high school... Is it an alien concept that some schools are actually called high schools or am I really missing the point?
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cowie wrote: »
    Your friend sounds like hard work. Not that all friendships are easy but IMO if you're spending the majority of your friendship with problems than not I'd say move on.

And who even sulks at 32 :confused:

My brother-in-law is 37 and still sulks. I know for a fact he is not the only one. I used to sulk when I was about 19; the other day my best friend from uni and I were laughing about my immaturity back then (we're now in our 30s). I really don't know why adults sulk - it's really childish - but many still do it because it works as a weapon.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Posh people have a whole room dedicated to sulking.
  • MadameLaMinxMadameLaMinx Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ellie82 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they say they went to high school?? I'm 30 and nearly 20 years ago, I too started high school... Is it an alien concept that some schools are actually called high schools or am I really missing the point?

Didn't you know, it's only since High School Musical became popular that actual real life High Schools have been recognised as actual real life educational establishments.

However, I can confirm, as a 39 year old lady, that it was during my early secondary school life that the local "secondary modern" boys and girls schools decided to merge under the one heading of "High School" - so that would have been when I was about 12, 27 years ago - therefore, someone at 31 would have been highly likely to attend the establishment in it's new identity. Indeed, my younger brother did in fact attend that school when it was (and still is) a High School, and he is, in fact, 31 - case closed :D