Top 5 WORST Emoticons... EVER! (of the ones readily availbe here)

Comments

• TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really hate it when people use " :L " because half the people I know who use it think it's a happy face whilst the other half think it's a concerned face, so I never have any idea what emotion it is supposed to be representing.
  • BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    I always see this one :) as smug too.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bathsheba wrote: »
    I always see this one :) as smug too.

Me too, but there's a poster who tends to use that one when he's being sarcastic or smug towards me, so that's probably why I see it as that. I'm sure lots of people use it in a nice way, as I am now! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't a clue what they mean and how to use them!
    I just use exclamation marks.
    Is there an exclamation mark smilie?
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aly1 wrote: »
    Is there an exclamation mark smilie?

I thought :eek: was on a par with an exclamation mark, in terms of dismay, and/or :mad: if you are trying to convey anger. If it is an amused exclamation then :D is your fella.
  • Aztec23Aztec23 Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    You're right, it is! I find it quite sweet and endearing when the men of DS use that one.

I've got a bit of a crush on this particular emoticon (:o) :D
  • Nikki E.Nikki E. Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think these two are cute.>>:yawn::sleep:<<They're tired; bless 'em.

Can't stand this guy.>>:rolleyes:

:cool:<<This one is my fave. :cool:
  • BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We need more! :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BadLadAsh wrote: »
    We need more! :mad:

What? More usage of Mr/Ms Angry-face-or more emoticons generally?
  • OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I am outraged. :mad:

I really only created this thread to highlight the worst 3! :eek: :o:cry:

Which are (without any doubt; and in the following order):

1. :eek:
    2. :cry:
    3. :o

In that exact order! :mad:

The use of emoticons is bad enough! :mad: but the use of any of those immediately causes me to lower my opinion of the poster using them.

I am shocked :eek: that more people aren't onboard with me especially about number 1.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    Why, they don't do any harm and convey the poster's feeling about a comment.

more smileys - I love smileys :) (that's just a smiley smiley to me)
  • winter99winter99 Posts: 16,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What new smileys would you want added? :)
  • SmartTIIamSmartTIIam Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    With a little bit of imagination, my favourite is the vomit smiley

:eek:
    /|\

The one that really gets up my nose is

:yawn:
  • momma11momma11 Posts: 3,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    winter99 wrote: »
    What new smileys would you want added? :)

I like the smilies !
    I wish we had a nose in the air one ;)
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,109
    Forum Member
    I dislike this one the most - :p as it's trying to be cute while being insulting at the same time.

I kind of like all the others though.
    I don't think I've ever directed them at other posters, I just use them to bring a bit of oomph to my posts. Sometimes words are just not enough, I need a bit of tone to it.

Overall I think I like :confused: best.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a bit of a problem with Mr/Ms Ambiguous-to wit :sleep:

Now, to me, this could either mean bored :yawn: or I'm saying nothing on that :cool:

Actually, an edit to this mid-post, as I see my unposted text, above, represents :sleep: as :sleep-so I presume it means boring-but then so does :yawn:. So is :sleep: a more extreme :yawn:-with the latter represented someone bored to yawning-point and the former representing someone bored-or tired out, which amounts to pretty much the same thing in the context-by repetition in a discussion? I suppose that must be so.

I sometimes find using :cry: in a really serious discussion to be bordering on a little inappropriate, as I can't help putting a little round cartoon face in somehow trivials a statement made by posting text on an internet forum.

I recall other forums I have been on, included one like :p-only depicted to be more overtly sexual and lewd in intent! They also had one that went green, turned to the side-then vomited long-range! That was quite good for dramatic purposes, and I once used it in a made-up story in which I depicted another poster as the lead character in The Exorcist and myself as the priest that cured her, after resisting her sexual blandishments. I amended the ending of the story by having myself, as the priest, succumb to the sexual charms of the young woman after she was cured of possession! In that context, I used the lewder version of :p!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And I'll just add that I love this chappie/chappess :D above all others! No other smiley quite conveys or evokes a humorous response to quite the same degree, and he's definitely one of the originals, as I've been seeing him in various forums for at least ten years!
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dislike this one the most - :p as it's trying to be cute while being insulting at the same time.

I kind of like all the others though.
    I don't think I've ever directed them at other posters, I just use them to bring a bit of oomph to my posts. Sometimes words are just not enough, I need a bit of tone to it.

Overall I think I like :confused: best.

I've never thought of :p as insulting. :eek:

I always see it as a friendly and playful little character... :D
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    :) <
    is by far the worst.

People seem to like using this smiley yellow bastard in a sort of bizarre, smug way.

it goes a little bit like this:

Well I think you're a total idiot :)

What the hell is that about?

It's like they are trying to say: I hate you, but look, I don't care, I'm not bothered by it at all (even though I clearly am, since I bothered to reply/ leave an angry comment).

You're fooling nobody.
    Forum Member
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    I've never thought of :p as insulting. :eek:

I always see it as a friendly and playful little character... :D

But if you did this :p at someone in the street they'd think you were taking the mick. I mean you might aswell just give them the finger accompanied by a cheeky grin.
    Forum Member
    But if you did this :p at someone in the street they'd think you were taking the mick. I mean you might aswell just give them the finger accompanied by a cheeky grin.

I'd see it more as flirting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    :) <
    is by far the worst.

People seem to like using this smiley yellow bastard in a sort of bizarre, smug way.

it goes a little bit like this:

Well I think you're a total idiot :)

What the hell is that about?

It's like they are trying to say: I hate you, but look, I don't care, I'm not bothered by it at all (even though I clearly am, since I bothered to reply/ leave an angry comment).

You're fooling nobody.

If they were saying, 'So what? I'm not bothered!' as you posit above, they would use :yawn: or :sleep:

I think :) is very good (1) to convey simple straightforward approval (2) to say, 'seriously! I'm not being sarcastic!' or (3) to say, 'No offense! Not said with any offensive or aggressive intent!'
    Forum Member
    Ænima wrote: »
    I'd see it more as flirting.

I'd see it as flirting if the tongue did some sort of erratic movement up and down.
    Dirty mind. :o
    Forum Member
    If they were saying, 'So what? I'm not bothered!' as you posit above, they would use :yawn: or :sleep:

I think :) is very good (1) to convey simple straightforward approval (2) to say, 'seriously! I'm not being sarcastic!' or (3) to say, 'No offense! Not said with any offensive or aggressive intent!'

No, I mean the people who like to pretend a comment doesn't bother them at all often use that smiley. It's like they are trying to say- 'look, I'm happy, what you said didn't bother me'. I find it both funny and weird when I see it used that way. Maybe you haven't seen it used like that.
    Forum Member
    I'd see it as flirting if the tongue did some sort of erratic movement up and down.
    Dirty mind. :o

That just means you're imagination isn't as good as mine.