Options

Is it a legal requirement to declare a paranormal presence in a property sale in UK

2»

Comments

• Options
    ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three bedroom semi. Features 25' through lounge, fitted kitchen, double glazing throughout and resident evil spectre. Viewing recommended.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Is it a legal requirement to declare a paranormal presence in a property sale in UK

It ought to be mandatory to declare if there have been past murders, violent deaths, suicides in properties or where murderers lived - the very things that might conceivably give rise to ghosties. :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    one bedroom flat, has character (reg from the first scene of eastenders haunts here)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Studio flat haunted by the ghost of Goebbels. Would suit fascist propaganda enthusiast. Apply Bairstow Eves, Sheperds Bush.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Armi wrote: »
    Studio flat haunted by the ghost of Goebbels. Would suit fascist propaganda enthusiast. Apply Bairstow Eves, Sheperds Bush.

it isnt the famous hitler house in swansea is it?

I think you have a buyer a Mr Nicholas Griffin from Pontypool in Powys
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    My parents house has an undiscosed extra tennant. The thing is the neighbours knew so the original owners must have said something. Nothing horrible but a man in the bedroom watching you from the corner is not a real good freebie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    My parents house has an undiscosed extra tennant. The thing is the neighbours knew so the original owners must have said something. Nothing horrible but a man in the bedroom watching you from the corner is not a real good freebie.

WHAT???? :eek:

You can't be serious.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It ought to be mandatory to declare if there have been past murders, violent deaths, suicides in properties or where murderers lived - the very things that might conceivably give rise to ghosties. :eek:

I honestly thought you did have to declare these types of things ? Not ghosts but murders and suicide? If its a recent one not a Victorian murder .. That would be your ghost as all ghosts are invariably Victorian !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lovely house in Rillington Place in Notting Hill steeped in famous archological digs last owner is selling because hes moving to the lovely islington suburb of Pentonville where he is due to be acquainted with the famous Albert Pierrepoint. People have died for the chance to live in this property. There is a pleasant aroma coming from the walls and a washhouse with a lovely scarlet pattern on the floor.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    I honestly thought you did have to declare these types of things ? Not ghosts but murders and suicide? If its a recent one not a Victorian murder .. That would be your ghost as all ghosts are invariably Victorian !

I'd be willing to bet that there must have been occasions when selling owners and estate agents have not mentioned what's gone on in a house or who a previous owner was in order to sell it. That's one thing I'd explicitly ask about (especially after having seen episodes of Paranormal Witness such as the one where a family moved into a former funeral home - double :eek::eek:).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 480
    Forum Member
    The first house my husband and I lived in was haunted. We both had horrible experiences in it and were glad to leave, it was a modern recently built house too.

We had rented it and when we left the landlord moved in himself, although we didn't inform him of his sitting tenant. :D

I've often wondered if he experienced the same problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    there have been plenty of residents that have been quoted as saying Broadmoor is haunted
  • Options
    Winchester LadyWinchester Lady Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course not, when "paranormal" means codswallop. Declarations about properties for sale deal in facts!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Of course not, when "paranormal" means codswallop. Declarations about properties for sale deal in facts!

can you prove its codswollop if you cannot its not a fact
  • Options
    Geeza BrakeGeeza Brake Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    My sofa has got an astral prescence and the hall cupboard has a poltergiest.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Essentially, the man was arrested and convicted because 'the Law' took the witness's account of a ghost seriously.:D
    Or he had been involved in the killing, grew a conscience and claiming a "ghost showed me" was his way of getting round the possibility of a long stretch - at the end of a rope

As for the OP, if the buyers specifically ask "is there a ghost" then you have to answer truthfully - truthfully being what you believe to be true, not that it is true.
  • Options
    tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It doesn't work that way round. You make a claim about the 'paranormal' and you have to prove it. Or attempt to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Only if he has a tenancy contract
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    surely its inprovable there is a paranormal presence orv that you knew of one impossible to get a conviction
    I'm guessing that failing to disclose a feeling that you had a paranormal entity would fall under civil law as opposed to criminal law. Convictions usually only apply to criminal law and not civil law as far as I'm aware, so you're right.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ribtickle wrote: »
    A single person may need to know about the haunting, just in case the council thought about stopping the Single Person Discount on the council tax. The council cleverly asks if anyone else is 'living' with you though, so maybe that would exclude ghostly lodgers.
    Damn - got there before me :D
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You summed it up in your last line so I don't know why you added the ;) emoticon?

There is no such thing as a paranormal presence so all anyone would be reporting to prospective buyers is that they are either fools, mad or both. Not something to promote a good sale.

In America they also believe that their is a God, so what does that tell us?

It tells us that some people have different belief systems than you and they probably can differentiate between their and there too unless that's not a requirement in your ivory tower? :)
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    I suspect quite a few posters on here would pay a premium for a paranormal presence.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    asp746 wrote: »
    what happened to good old fashioned ethical selling practices and being upfront with people about these things - would you really sell a haunted house to someone and put them through hell

well yes I would, because there's no such thing as 'haunted' :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member

That's not how evidence works. You can't prove a negative.

It's up to people claiming that something exists to prove that it does.