Options

Compulsory voting first timers?

TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/voting-should-be-compulsory-for-young-people-at-least-once-says-think-tank-8784419.html

What do you think? I say no because compulsory voting is just another type of totalitarianism and an attempt by politicians to put the blame for poor turn-outs on the electorate, rather than asking themselves honestly why more and more people are pissed off with both the electoral process and those who gain power through it.

Those who have gone before us did not fight for our right to vote, they fought for our right to choose whether or not we wanted to vote.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    There's already a thread in the Politics forum discussing this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's already a thread in the Politics forum discussing this.

I don't want to go in there as I know what it will be like. Comments about how the think tank is left leaning and how this would just give Labour an advantage as younger people tend to be left leaning, as though that were true.

Honestly who could be bothered with that?
  • Options
    DomestosDomestos Posts: 7,014
    Forum Member
    I don't want to go in there as I know what it will be like. Comments about how the think tank is left leaning and how this would just give Labour an advantage as younger people tend to be left leaning, as though that were true.

Honestly who could be bothered with that?

But that's where you should talk about it.
  • Options
    PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Threads quite often run parallel in GD and politics. I dont see the problem. The OP is not the only one who does not wish to visit that place.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would certainly provide a boost to to voting count. I think it should be compulsory that every person votes in every election. Otherwise it cannot be called a true general election if only part of the nation vote.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if there isn't anybody to vote for, they all talk the same and break promises made, all politicians are as good/bad as each other. Have had Tories in power had Labour in power, didn't notice any different.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    What if there isn't anybody to vote for, they all talk the same and break promises made, all politicians are as good/bad as each other. Have had Tories in power had Labour in power, didn't notice any different.

:rolleyes:

I can assure you some people have noticed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »

Tories
    Tory Lite (Labour)
    I can't believe they aren't Tories (Lib Dems)

That about sums up the 3 main parties.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

I can assure you some people have noticed.

Those are the ones that need to vote.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Make it compulsory but have a none of the above option
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy_Burts wrote: »

That only makes sense if something kicks in/happens if everyone or a substantial amount of people vote "none of the above". Else it's just meaningless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy_Burts wrote: »

none of the above would probably win :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lived in Australia for a while where voting is compulsory. It was a farce. Those that didn't agree with being forced to vote either provided a "valid and sufficient reason" not to (feigned sickness, went on holiday out of the country at that time) or simply refused and got fined/went to court. Others turned up but wrecked their ballot paper.

It seemed a complete waste of resources to me (staff to determine who has a "valid and sufficient reason", many more wrecked ballots to count, fines to issue, court cases to run, legal costs...) all to police an undemocratic system. So much for Australia being a free country!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rockville wrote: »
    I lived in Australia for a while where voting is compulsory. It was a farce. Those that didn't agree with being forced to vote either provided a "valid and sufficient reason" not to (feigned sickness, went on holiday out of the country at that time) or simply refused and got fined/went to court. Others turned up but wrecked their ballot paper.

It seemed a complete waste of resources to me (many more wrecked ballots to count, fines to issue, court cases, legal costs) and undemocratic. So much for Australia being a free country!

That is what I would do if compulsory voting were introduced.
  • Options
    jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking about this when came up in news today. I've reluctantly come round to idea of compulsory, because it would give lazy, jaded people like me some motivation, even if it was 'none of the above'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what I would do too, spoil the paper. Voting is a right. But It stops being a right when you are forced to do it.

I have voted in some elections but not all. I vote when I care about either the party, or more often, the people I am voting for.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it should be compulsory, people can always tick abstain if they didn't want to vote. Only for general elections though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it should be compulsory, people can always tick abstain if they didn't want to vote. Only for general elections though.

So what is the point of that?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or maybe they could just not turn up if they didn't want to vote :D
  • Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it should be compulsory. but 44% of young people did not vote at the last election.

I care if I vote or note, it's not important.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The proposal does include a "none of the above" option. However, the government is unlikely to want that on the ballot paper in case it gives people funny ideas, so if it were implemented I imagine the compelled youngster would just have to turn up at the polling station, show their card to prove they were there, and walk out.
  • Options
    toastietoastie Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rockville wrote: »
    Or maybe they could just not turn up if they didn't want to vote

Exactly.
  • Options
    wolfticketwolfticket Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't need a none of the above option. There is a proud history of spoiling ballot papers in this country.

The number of spoilt papers is counted and announced. If you don't want to vote for any of the above then there is nothing wrong with spoiling the paper and registering your vote (or rather lack thereof). It's a shame more people don't do it such that the number of spoilt papers makes a statement, rather than ambiguously not turning out at all.

Personally I'd bring the voting age down to 16 and make political discussion and voting and part of the curriculum for the last year of secondary school.