Options

BDO World Masters

coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
Forum Member
✭✭✭
normally TV friday, saturday, sunday... cant find anywhere saying its on tv this year

Comments

• Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As of yet there is no TV Channel showing it. It is the weekend after this one too
  • Options
    stevebluejaystevebluejay Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As of yet there is no TV Channel showing it. It is the weekend after this one too

Piss poor from the BDO, their 2nd biggest tourney as well.
    Some good players in a joke organisation, run by idiots stuck in a timewarp.

No wonder the average sports fan has never heard of 99.9% of BDO players, while thanks to the marketing of the PDC, many of their players are household names, not just the Power anymore/
  • Options
    COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully BT Sport pick it up or maybe ITV 4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    COTTONHEAT wrote: »
    Hopefully BT Sport pick it up or maybe ITV 4

bt sport has euro football on, they could put it on espn...
    id guess itv4 is a no no as they have pdc....
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    As i understood, Eurosport & BT had enquired regarding the rights. What came of it, i haven't a clue, but perhaps it needs not to have tv coverage to finally get this fools running the BDO finally out the door and bring it into the 21st Century!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    As i understood, Eurosport & BT had enquired regarding the rights. What came of it, i haven't a clue, but perhaps it needs not to have tv coverage to finally get this fools running the BDO finally out the door and bring it into the 21st Century!

eurosport has done well with darts this year with the pdc ones, the second one in aussie land they used fox sport feed which was good...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    eurosport has done well with darts this year with the pdc ones, the second one in aussie land they used fox sport feed which was good...

Agreed on that. Watched the aussie darts and was impressed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed on that. Watched the aussie darts and was impressed.

dont get me wrong the dubai one was ok, with Beaton in the comm box but the main comm wasnt good...
    so i was glad they decided to take the host feed for the next... and Barry Hearn must be happy now with the good broadcasters... Sky Sports, ITV, and Eurosport...

but with the bdo, they should of offered it back to BBC just for viewing figures...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dont get me wrong the dubai one was ok, with Beaton in the comm box but the main comm wasnt good...
    so i was glad they decided to take the host feed for the next... and Barry Hearn must be happy now with the good broadcasters... Sky Sports, ITV, and Eurosport...

but with the bdo, they should of offered it back to BBC just for viewing figures...

But, the BBC's coverage hasn't exactly set the world alight and they still don't do it in HD!
    Id like Eurosport or ITV, who will give it a damn good go whereas BBC won't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But, the BBC's coverage hasn't exactly set the world alight and they still don't do it in HD!
    Id like Eurosport or ITV, who will give it a damn good go whereas BBC won't.

i agree, but i dont think it will be on tv....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i agree, but i dont think it will be on tv....

Nor do i, wonder what the likes of Waites, O'Shea, Bunting etc think of their organisation?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nor do i, wonder what the likes of Waites, O'Shea, Bunting etc think of their organisation?

im surprised Waites hasnt moved, hes good enough for the pdc and hes shown that in the grand slam....
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    im surprised Waites hasnt moved, hes good enough for the pdc and hes shown that in the grand slam....
    Apparently to do with his sick wife. He's happy with the amount of time he has with the BDO whereas it would be more hectic with the PDC.
    I think that's right, I think I read it in a thread on here.

Not sure about O'Shea. Maybe he thinks that moving to the PDC and going through the Q school and qualifying is too much hassle at his age. Look how Hankey's doing (even before his illness).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Apparently to do with his sick wife. He's happy with the amount of time he has with the BDO whereas it would be more hectic with the PDC.

o i didnt know that...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not sure about O'Shea. Maybe he thinks that moving to the PDC and going through the Q school and qualifying is too much hassle at his age. Look how Hankey's doing (even before his illness).

You're right with O'Shea to a degree, he was offered a PDC wildcard but he turned it down politely, stating that he was flattered but age was a factor as was the gruelling schedule.

Waites is not with Sally now, that was the original reason after he won the grand slam as she had some fatigue issues, but then they split up so i don't know why he didn't go, maybe some of them just aren't ambitious enough, who knows?

Maybe they look at Hankey and then think better to be a big fish in a small pond, but then look at Chisnall?
  • Options
    seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 3,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't this on ESPN last year? Have those right not transferred to BT?

On a separate note, does anyone know what's happening with the World Championships in January? Will ESPN and/or BT covering it alongside BBC?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Piss poor from the BDO, their 2nd biggest tourney as well.
    Some good players in a joke organisation, run by idiots stuck in a timewarp.

No wonder the average sports fan has never heard of 99.9% of BDO players, while thanks to the marketing of the PDC, many of their players are household names, not just the Power anymore/

Yet the BDO World final gets 3 times the audience of the PDC.

Dont knock the BDO, without it there would be no PDC remember
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're right with O'Shea to a degree, he was offered a PDC wildcard but he turned it down politely, stating that he was flattered but age was a factor as was the gruelling schedule.

Waites is not with Sally now, that was the original reason after he won the grand slam as she had some fatigue issues, but then they split up so i don't know why he didn't go, maybe some of them just aren't ambitious enough, who knows?

Maybe they look at Hankey and then think better to be a big fish in a small pond, but then look at Chisnall?

This should be in sport if you want to get into this BUT, it is nothing to do with ambition more to do with being realistic.

Only say the top 30 PDC players make a fairly decent living out of it, the rest need jobs too. The BDO players mainly do it for fun and have a full time job too.

I interviewed Scott Waites last year, he was doing some work in somebody's house. He said he enjoyed his job so why would he want to give it up ?
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member

Sod all to do with that, they haven't been together for an absolute age. And where do you think they go on the BDO/WDF tour, all the events ain't in the UK you know ;)

On a separate note, does anyone know what's happening with the World Championships in January? Will ESPN and/or BT covering it alongside BBC?

ESPN were picking the Masters up on a year by year basis, there were no rights to transfer. Same with Lakeside as the deal ended in January. Currently it is only the BBC who will be showing Lakeside but nobody knows if this will be just weekends or the whole thing

More people watched the Lakeside final than watched Liverpool v Man U on Sky the other week, bit naughty to compare FTA and subscription figures ;)

Anyway I can confirm that if you take a look at the Eurosport schedule for NEXT Sunday they are showing 4.5 hours of live Masters coverage, which will probably be semis and final only given the timing.

Funny you should mention Waites though Darren - someone was overheard at a big BDO Open in Rotherham the other week that Scott wasn't there "as he had a big job on and would rather go to that". Rotherham hardly a million miles away, like Kist before him he hasn't been a very visible title holder.
  • Options
    andy_d77andy_d77 Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

no its just on the bbc sadly - wish theyd drop it must be paying the beeb to show it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy_d77 wrote: »
    no its just on the bbc sadly - wish theyd drop it must be paying the beeb to show it

I asked you this before but you didnt answer so I will ask again

Why do you want them to drop it ? I do not understand your logic at all. You would rather it NOT be on TV ?? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sod all to do with that, they haven't been together for an absolute age. And where do you think they go on the BDO/WDF tour, all the events ain't in the UK you know ;)

ESPN were picking the Masters up on a year by year basis, there were no rights to transfer. Same with Lakeside as the deal ended in January. Currently it is only the BBC who will be showing Lakeside but nobody knows if this will be just weekends or the whole thing

More people watched the Lakeside final than watched Liverpool v Man U on Sky the other week, bit naughty to compare FTA and subscription figures ;)

Anyway I can confirm that if you take a look at the Eurosport schedule for NEXT Sunday they are showing 4.5 hours of live Masters coverage, which will probably be semis and final only given the timing.

Funny you should mention Waites though Darren - someone was overheard at a big BDO Open in Rotherham the other week that Scott wasn't there "as he had a big job on and would rather go to that". Rotherham hardly a million miles away, like Kist before him he hasn't been a very visible title holder.

I was only answering his point re nobody knows the BDO players Bradders. Don't nit pick now :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not, it is a great feeder for the PDC, but my statement was true, most casual sports fans wouldn't know a Bunting from Walton but MAY possibly know of a Wade or Lewis. Don't forget the large audiences of Premier League events, who i accept often go for a boozy night, but that is another story!

The BDO players are great, but the organisation is poorly run by dinosaurs, sadly. Barry Hearn might not be everybodys cup of tea but he has done a great job of making the PDC higher profile and attractive to TV and snonsors alike.

Don't forget the BDO is/was on terrestrial TV, it will always outdraw a satellite broadcast. The viewing figures are like comparing a Liverpool V Man U audience on Sky with a Gillingham V Tranmere audience in the FA Cup 1st Round on ITV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not, it is a great feeder for the PDC, but my statement was true, most casual sports fans wouldn't know a Bunting from Walton but MAY possibly know of a Wade or Lewis. Don't forget the large audiences of Premier League events, who i accept often go for a boozy night, but that is another story!

The BDO players are great, but the organisation is poorly run by dinosaurs, sadly. Barry Hearn might not be everybodys cup of tea but he has done a great job of making the PDC higher profile and attractive to TV and snonsors alike.

Don't forget the BDO is/was on terrestrial TV, it will always outdraw a satellite broadcast. The viewing figures are like comparing a Liverpool V Man U audience on Sky with a Gillingham V Tranmere audience in the FA Cup 1st Round on ITV.

You assume everyone knows more PDC players because of Taylor and Barney. Take them out of the equation and you may be surprised.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was only answering his point re nobody knows the BDO players Bradders. Don't nit pick now :D

99.9% of people i know haven't a clue of any BDO players as a pose to some higher profile PDC ones, i suspect that applies to the majority, if i am incorrect in what is an estimation rather than a fact then i respect your knowledge on the subject.

Back on topic, if the BDO was so popular why are so few TV companies wiliing to broadcast a 'major' like the Masters?