Options

Dotun Adebayo on UAN

The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,416
Forum Member
✭✭
Why oh why is Dotun Adebayo still presenting UAN after all these years. He really is the worse presenter i have ever heard with his constant name dropping, false laughter, butting in and speaking over guests with irrelevant facts and dull anecdotes. You can hear the regular guests cringing in despair as he starts and i am surprised some of them have not just hung up on him.

I wish Cash Peters was on Dotuns shift cos i reckon he would shred him to bits and tell him where to get off.

Comments

• Options
    BluenileBluenile Posts: 11,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, he's abysmal, always a nasty surprise to find he's on there instead of the excellent Rhod Sharp.

I can't help thinking Dotun is there mainly to help boost the number of 5 Live presenters from ethnic minorities...
  • Options
    TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes when Dotun is presenting its a cringefest its even worse when his "missus" Carol Thompson is on there he is so fawning it makes me want to throw up

as other posters have he he buts in and generally tries to stamp his mark on the show, how poor Dave Aldridge puts up with his ramblings is beyond me
  • Options
    lopsidedlopsided Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    Bluenile wrote: »
    I agree, he's abysmal, always a nasty surprise to find he's on there instead of the excellent Rhod Sharp.

I can't help thinking Dotun is there mainly to help boost the number of 5 Live presenters from ethnic minorities...

I think you could be right,I agree he really is terrible.
  • Options
    R300R300 Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only put up with the nights that he is on UAN for the New York hour and the film section with Dave Aldridge. Even on the New York hour he is always trying to put down the guest with Peter Franklin. What these New Yorkers think of Dotun is anyone's guess....

Oh and can't stand the Word Music part of the show, all that African music is not really the best use of 5Live I think, maybe this should be over on the World Service where it may be more relevant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    R300 wrote: »
    Oh and can't stand the Word Music part of the show, all that African music is not really the best use of 5Live I think, maybe this should be over on the World Service where it may be more relevant.

I think Dotun is a great, warm and friendly broadcaster, perfect for Up All Night alongside Rhod and co.

I'm also a fan of World Music - its something different and I like to think I'm open minded.
  • Options
    JazzyPJazzyP Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up listening to UAN when he started, shame, I thought it was really good. Listen to WS on BBC Radio 4 now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So that's 6 to 1 against so far. Where are all the Dotun fans?

I wonder if the BBC knows what the listening figures are when he's on UAN?
  • Options
    London EyeLondon Eye Posts: 2,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember him on BBC London. Absolutely atrocious broadcaster.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    What a fantastic example of pointless criticism without a shred of evidence to back it up.

Personally, I think Dotun is a really good presenter. I especially look forward to the World Football Phone-in early on Saturday mornings, where I think his passion for the subject really comes across.

I also think he's in his element when discussing world issues, such as political corruption in certain African states.

The criticism in this thread is pathetic, and a couple of posts border on closet racism - "ethnic minorities" indeed. If you don't enjoy the show, don't listen! I recommend you go back to reading your Daily Mails...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a fantastic example of pointless criticism without a shred of evidence to back it up.

Personally, I think Dotun is a really good presenter. I especially look forward to the World Football Phone-in early on Saturday mornings, where I think his passion for the subject really comes across.

I also think he's in his element when discussing world issues, such as political corruption in certain African states.

The criticism in this thread is pathetic, and a couple of posts border on closet racism - "ethnic minorities" indeed. If you don't enjoy the show, don't listen! I recommend you go back to reading your Daily Mails...

So basically what you're saying is that any opinion which you disagree with is pointless?

The evidence is that many people who listen to Dotun on 5 Live think he's CRAP and quickly get the urge to turn off.

Nice use of the racism card as well.

Yours Truly,

Non Daily Mail reader..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

From you, perhaps? If you care to read the postings properly then I guess you'll see people's criticisms.
    The criticism in this thread is pathetic,

May we say the same about your criticisms, too?
    and a couple of posts border on closet racism - "ethnic minorities" indeed.

Social issues that effect society?
    If you don't enjoy the show, don't listen! I recommend you go back to reading your Daily Mails...

Thanks but no thanks. You can stick the Daily Mail where the sun doesn't shine. I wouldn't read that snot rag for all the tea in China.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I dont read the Daily Mail, its even worse when Dotun tries to sing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but I know a woman who does read The Daily Mail: Sarah Kennedy! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    London Eye wrote: »
    No, but I know a woman who does read The Daily Mail: Sarah Kennedy! :D
    dont start them off again L E I am trying to sleep :sleep:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dont start them off again L E I am trying to sleep :sleep:

Might that be because you're listening to Dotun Adebayo on BBC Listen Again?! :D:D
  • Options
    jaybsjaybs Posts: 2,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

captainpenguin

I think your quote reflect more on you that the rest of the posters, I have worked in commercial radio since leaving school and I have never known a amateur presenter like Dotun on radio. Also to bring in an argument of racial/ethnic comments is totally uncalled for, and you have no hard evidence to prove this point, 70% of my friends are from African decent and they share the same opinion as myself about Dotun, if a man is not good enough for the job, that is good enough reason, not start using race, religion, age or sex.

You point out his knowledge of African affairs, what little Dotun does know and it is not a lot, he talks down to the correspondents from African continents who I feel must know lot more than him, often turning serious subjects into his own humour.

Dotun is not good enough for any local or community radio, as National network it is about time BBC Radio Five took notice of it's listeners, their are many presenters who would jump for the chance of this position.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh come on, I wasn't the one who brought up the BBC/ethnic monorities argument - I merely highlighted it as a factor of previous posts on this forum. If that constitutes use of the "race card" then I feel that reflects on others more than me.

I think to imply that Dotun only has his job because of a BBC policy of promoting those from "ethnic minorities" is both patronising and wrong. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I don't consider mine any more, or less, worthy than others on here... my point was, in a nutshell, that this is a thread criticising Dotun for no specific reason, other than that people 'don't like him'. No reasons have been given for this outcry of hatred - just a load of opinions not backed up by facts or examples.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No reasons have been given for this outcry of hatred - just a load of opinions not backed up by facts or examples.

I don't see any hatred of the guy on this thread, I'm sure he's a perfectly likeable bloke, but I just don't think he's good enough to be presenting a news programme on national radio.

Plenty of examples of why here (constant stumbling over words and interruption of guests etc) here..

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio/wf/wf_20070825-0520.mp3
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bluenile wrote:
    Dotun is there mainly to help boost the number of 5 Live presenters from ethnic minorities

Well, it would appear Captain Penguin is right; on the basis of this quote - an argument is made that Dotun has the job on the basis of his skin colour because he's `not good enough` to have got it any other way. This line of thought is grounded in racism, pure and simple, there is no argument about it - and anyone that thinks otherwise clearly needs to take a long look at themselves and their attitudes.

And as for the pathetic Jaybs...
    Jaybs wrote:
    Dotun is not good enough for any local or community radio

To use your own words against you (and in the same post)
    Jaybs wrote:
    you have no hard evidence to prove this point

Your argument is ridiculous, not to mention that fact that you judge a person `not suitable for community radio` - something, quite ironic on these boards - which are so often in praise of REAL people doing COMMUNITY radio and complaining how sad it is that they can't break into `GCrap` and the Beeb.

I would like to know how a person can bu judged as not suitable for community radio - fact.

But then again
    Jaybs wrote:
    70% of my friends are from African decent

1: Congratulations on working out the percentages of your friends and their backgrounds. What a nice round number.

2: They all agree with you that Dotun is rubbish.

Well - 98% of my friends (at a loose guess) have not heard of Dotun and don't listen to Five Live and so don't express any opinion. That doesn't make me any more or less entitled to mine and I suggest it works the same way with you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray Deeoh wrote: »
    Well, it would appear Captain Penguin is right; on the basis of this quote - an argument is made that Dotun has the job on the basis of his skin colour because he's `not good enough` to have got it any other way. This line of thought is grounded in racism, pure and simple, there is no argument about it - and anyone that thinks otherwise clearly needs to take a long look at themselves and their attitudes.

Nice of you to edit the first few words off my comment to make it look like I'm stating that is a fact rather than a possibility that had crossed my mind.

I'll quote what I said properly seeing as you can't be bothered:

If you're saying to me that the BBC has never at any point used positive discrimination then I think you're very naive and to call me a racist for suggesting it is pathetic
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't see any hatred of the guy on this thread, I'm sure he's a perfectly likeable bloke, but I just don't think he's good enough to be presenting a news programme on national radio.

Plenty of examples of why here (constant stumbling over words and interruption of guests etc) here..

Having just listened to the whole 20-minute podcast, I can't find anything that proves your point. Yes, he cut off a couple of callers who'd had their say and stumbled over his words a little - but what radio presenter can claim never to have done that?

Plus you can factor in that it's three in the morning, and overnight radio can be a real killer, regardless of how much experience you have...the same thing happened to (the legendary) Rhod Sharp a few times last week, but I don't see any anti-Rhod threads around.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Hate" is a very strong word. I don't think "hate" or "hatred" comes into this debate. People are merely saying they dislike Dotun Adebayo. Like I said, I have heard him on BBC London in the past and I was not impressed. I find him somewhat dull to listen to. I dislike him as a broadcaster but I do not hate him as a person.
  • Options
    Forum Member

All I've done is removed "I can't help thinking" from your quote. The meaning is exactly the same - you are professing your thought that Dotun is there because he is black.

That is racist. You can't argue it - you're argument is basically this "well I don't like him - so he must only have his job because he's black."

Would someone think "I don't like Moyles - he only has his job because he's fat." No.

Would they say "Terry Wogan - he's rubbish - and only has his job because he's Irish." No.

You're saying the same thing. You may well try and hide under the guise of criticising positive discrimination, but you are.

The more thoughtful person would first consider that perhaps not every other person shares their views - and that just perhaps, somebody does like him, even though you do not.

Naive? I think that would be you sir, for thinking you can say such things without being considered racist.
  • Options
    lopsidedlopsided Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    Oh come on, I wasn't the one who brought up the BBC/ethnic monorities argument - I merely highlighted it as a factor of previous posts on this forum. If that constitutes use of the "race card" then I feel that reflects on others more than me.

I think to imply that Dotun only has his job because of a BBC policy of promoting those from "ethnic minorities" is both patronising and wrong. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I don't consider mine any more, or less, worthy than others on here... my point was, in a nutshell, that this is a thread criticising Dotun for no specific reason, other than that people 'don't like him'. No reasons have been given for this outcry of hatred - just a load of opinions not backed up by facts or examples.
    The reason why people don't like him is because he's on a National Network and sonds pretty bad.His presentation is without doubt the worst I've ever heard,it's got nothing to do with his colour it's just the fact that he sounds dreadfull,it's as simple as that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray Deeoh wrote: »
    The more thoughtful person would first consider that perhaps not every other person shares their views - and that just perhaps, somebody does like him, even though you do not.

I'm well aware that some people like him, thanks.

It's just that the majority of people that express an opinion seem to think he's a poor presenter, unlike Rhod Sharp who most people seem to think is excellent. Look on any forum including the BBC message boards and there is a common theme to the posts that I would estimate over 80% of posters support:

"Dotun Ayebayo is a poor speech presenter and should not be presenting Up all Night."