Options

Dad's Army: Why you might learn something from oldtelly

124»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A very good show, great characters, who bounced off one another with fabulous timing.

Sgt Wilson, telling his various scary exploits, was a brilliant story teller,
    they all contributed to a wonderful show and I doubt we will ever see their calibre of acting again.
  • Options
    IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    hamigo wrote: »
    A very good show, great characters, who bounced off one another with fabulous timing.

Sgt Wilson, telling his various scary exploits, was a brilliant story teller,
    they all contributed to a wonderful show and I doubt we will ever see their calibre of acting again.

Wilson? Don't you mean Fraser? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iggyman wrote: »
    Wilson? Don't you mean Fraser? :)

Yes, I should have written : Pte. James Frazer (John Laurie).

I stand corrected, thanks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    sonofdavid wrote: »
    I got this information from the 'Dad's Army Appreciation Society' website, it is contained within John le Mesurier's bio. I have also read that Robert Dorning, who played a cameo as the Bank Inspector, was also considered by Jimmy Perry for the role of Mainwairing, with Arthur Lowe as Sgt Wilson.

This is just a myth. No one but John Le Mesurier was considered for Wilson.
  • Options
    GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Except Arthur Lowe, of course, supposedly - I've heard that Lowe and Le Mesurier were to have played the Sergeant and the Captain, but they were switched at some point.

Le Mesurier as a laid-back Captain, no surprise there, but Lowe as an NCO would have been interesting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    No. Look at the book that drew on the actual BBC archives, the casting memos and interviews with Croft and Perry. Le Mesurier was cast without hesitation by Michael Mills. Other actors were considered for the role of Mainwaring.

You can also read about it here:
    http://www.cambridgeairforce.org.nz/Dads%20Army%20Misconceptions.html
  • Options
    sonofdavidsonofdavid Posts: 426
    Forum Member

There is no doubt a good myth makes for more interesting reading, although I am surprised though that the D A Apprecation Society, are perpetuating the 'myth' considering their President and Vice President are former cast members.
    That said my own knowledge on the matter is not that strong and I am willing to be swayed by concrete evidence to the contrary, if it can be shown.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wonderful comedy series, from an exemplary cast. I didnt appreciate the series when it was first shown when I was a kid, but it grew on me over the years. I like Jimmy Perry and David Crofts work, but this is the Golden work..
    Like yourself, I didn't appreciate it when first shown and likened Corporal Jones to Mr Pastry. I now can't get enough of Dad's Army and appreciate how clever Clive Dunn was in his portrayal of Jones. I must be getting old.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sonofdavid wrote: »
    Like yourself, I didn't appreciate it when first shown and likened Corporal Jones to Mr Pastry. I now can't get enough of Dad's Army and appreciate how clever Clive Dunn was in his portrayal of Jones. I must be getting old.

I was 16 when Dad's Army was first shown, and I was not interested in this type show, it's only when i got older and hopefully wiser, that i realised what i was missing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hamigo wrote: »
    I was 16 when Dad's Army was first shown, and I was not interested in this type show, it's only when i got older and hopefully wiser, that i realised what i was missing.

Ditto hamigo, it wasn't cool to watch Dad's Army then. I have recently watched and replayed the complete series over and over and still laugh at the timeless and clever comedy.