Options

Applying for council/affordable rented housing - your experiences.

2»

Comments

• Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valkay, That's nothing. I own a housing association and we only rent to black atheist lesbian one legged members of the chinese communist party who have murdered at least three white people and we pay them 55000 pounds a day for each child they have and they must have at least 19.

And it's true I can prove it.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All I can say is that I think you must have put your own interpretation on any guidance you may have received from the Housing Corp - they certainly wouldn't give out guidance as you have described it.

In the unlikely event that they did most Housing Associations would have ignored such advice anyway - HAs are well known for wanting to house only very well behaved, preferably working tenants on the basis that their estates are more easily managed. Well known for cherry picking are HAs

You have a very rosy view of Housing Associations.They most certainly are not allowed to cherry pick. That is why they are regularly audited by the Housing Corporation, if it still exists.and there has to be a paper trail for every applicant. The more ethnic minorities, single parents, those with social workers etc that are rehoused, then the more funding the H.A. can apply for from the H.C. Low paid employed cannot afford the rents, only those on Housing Benefit can afford to live there.
  • Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    You have a very rosy view of Housing Associations.They most certainly are not allowed to cherry pick. .

But they do, admitedly not as badly as they used to. It's well known
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But they do, admitedly not as badly as they used to. It's well known

By who?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    By who?

People like me who have worked for more years than I care to remember allocating, monitoring and working on allocations schemes Senior staff within the DCLG who have expressed their concern about cherry picking in meetings I have had with them
  • Options
    ProgRockerProgRocker Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HAs are well known for wanting to house only very well behaved, preferably working tenants on the basis that their estates are more easily managed.

By that logic I would get a place straight away *polishes halo*. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ProgRocker wrote: »
    By that logic I would get a place straight away *polishes halo*. :D

All except people who like progressive rock that is :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to work for a Housing Association and the guide lines from the Housing Corporation was for Ethnic minorities, asylum seekers, single parents, care in the community with a social worker,ex convicts and druggies, and the unemployed. If you are an employed couple with 2.4 children, then forget it because you will have a long wait.
    For heavens sake. Of course you can't give priority to 'ethnic minorities'. Are you suggesting that your housing association holds the law in utter contempt?
    I'm surprised that anyone who has worked in social housing could talk such nonsense.........complete and utter tosh.

The allocation of local authority housing is governed through the Housing Act 1996, amended by the Homelessnesss Act 2002. Guidance is issued by the DCLG. If the Housing Corporation are issuing guidance as described above then I've not seen it

Indeed.

Experiences vary wildly according to where you live. London is pretty bad on the whole.