Options

Call The Midwife

Comments

• Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbowens wrote: »
    So where are Chummy and Cynthia at? I know where they're supposed to be onscreen. But what's the reason for the absence of the actresses?

Miranda went missing last series too. Cynthia's absence could have happened off screen in the break between the Christmas episode and the new series. It feels like we've lost too many characters up to now. It seems like Pam Ferris might be going AWOL for a few episodes too.

Bryony Hannah who plays Cynthia was pregnant and now has a baby of her own. :)

Maybe Miranda Hart was filming her sitcom?
    Don't know about Pam Ferris's absence.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2 midwives didn't realise there was another baby in there? The bump was a clue, surely.
  • Options
    SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    When the BBC showed Casualty 1906, etc at the end they would give a little bit information pertaining to what happened. One of the nurses was proposed to by a doctor, but refused him because it would have meant that she would have had to give up work. At the end they said that up until 1974 nurses were expected to give up work if they got married.
    I remember my mum moaning that every time she found a good hairdresser, they "left to get married" - my dad used to complain similarly about secretaries (this was in the 60s). Even outside the public sector, I think it was just expected that you would leave your job when you married (however crazy that seems now - they must have been so strapped for cash?!). My 99-year old mum still sniffs at 'married women who work' (especially women on TV, newsreaders, etc.) - she just doesn't get it! (Even though I've worked my entire married life?!)
  • Options
    jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    It was easier in those days to survive on one income, at least if you were middle class. I'm sure I read that some airline required their hostess to leave when they married but I don't think there was any hard and fast rules. Trixie's biggest issue would be if you could fit in her Vicar's wives duties with midwifery and what Tom's expectations are.

This may seem shallow but I expected Patsy's "friend" to be more Trixie like and well less ordinary.
  • Options
    SereniitySereniity Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a wonderful episode yet terribly sad at the same time.

I'm enjoying the new additions to the cast this season.
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember my mum moaning that every time she found a good hairdresser, they "left to get married" - my dad used to complain similarly about secretaries (this was in the 60s). Even outside the public sector, I think it was just expected that you would leave your job when you married (however crazy that seems now - they must have been so strapped for cash?!). My 99-year old mum still sniffs at 'married women who work' (especially women on TV, newsreaders, etc.) - she just doesn't get it! (Even though I've worked my entire married life?!)

I used to live next door to an old lady who was forever moaning about women going out to work when they had children, (I was lucky enough to be able to stay at home with my child). I used to say to her that some people couldn't manage without the wife going out to work too, but she wasn't having any of it. However, some years later when her grandaughter went out to work after having a baby, she had a different attitude and used to say that her granddaughter had to work so her and her husband could afford to live. She still used to moan about others going out to work though, :confused:
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daily Mirror centre pages double page spread on Patsy today, covering her real life love and her screen love, today (sorry no link)

On the DM website, there is a feature but it's not so forthcoming.

Here is the imdb page for Emerald Fennell - wow;

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2193504/
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    tennisman wrote: »
    Daily Mirror centre pages double page spread on Patsy today, covering her real life love and her screen love, today (sorry no link)

Emerald Fennell - fabulous name :)
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    Emerald Fennell - fabulous name :)

A very precious vegetable.
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    ((((Hug)))))

one from me too
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kayjay2405 wrote: »
    I think it was compulsory to leave on marriage up until sometime in the 50's/early 60's?

There were Marriage bars in some professions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_the_workforce

The Civil Service abolished it in 1946 / 1947

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1946/oct/15/civil-service-marriage-bar-abolition

It also existed in schools but I cannot find when it was abolished for the UK there is plenty of info for other countries which have varying dates from the 50's onwards.

There is a paper here but it seems to be for the USA

http://www.nber.org/papers/w2747.pdf
  • Options
    sussex_seagirlsussex_seagirl Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    There were Marriage bars in some professions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_the_workforce

The Civil Service abolished it in 1946 / 1947

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1946/oct/15/civil-service-marriage-bar-abolition

It also existed in schools but I cannot find when it was abolished for the UK there is plenty of info for other countries which have varying dates from the 50's onwards.

There is a paper here but it seems to be for the USA

http://www.nber.org/papers/w2747.pdf

After the post-First World War marriage bar was lifted for women teachers in 1944 (!), it was never reinstated.
    https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=LAcdBQAAQBAJ&pg=PA88&lpg=PA88&dq=when+was+teaching+marriage+bar+abolished,+post-war+UK&source=bl&ots=L0KpZTdMSv&sig=DENlJlq_zOD1S7sHyiKg5rxhvNU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=HAHJVM2JE9HW7QbSqoHoBg&ved=0CEQQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=when%20was%20teaching%20marriage%20bar%20abolished%2C%20post-war%20UK&f=false

I'm enjoying the new series as much as ever.:)
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone was saying they hope patsy and her girlfriend are a happy lesbian couple, but I think that would be wrong. I love Patsy and want her to be happy but there is no way that they could be happy back then if people found out about them. I am thinking Trixie may find out and initially be weird about it but then be supportive, but if the whole community found out and they were left alone it wouldn't be realistic, which isn't like CTM.

Some say it is twee but I disagree. It is cosy in some ways but in other ways they don't hold back, like the last episode :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Someone was saying they hope patsy and her girlfriend are a happy lesbian couple, but I think that would be wrong. I love Patsy and want her to be happy but there is no way that they could be happy back then if people found out about them. I am thinking Trixie may find out and initially be weird about it but then be supportive, but if the whole community found out and they were left alone it wouldn't be realistic, which isn't like CTM.

Some say it is twee but I disagree. It is cosy in some ways but in other ways they don't hold back, like the last episode :(

IF they found out, you'd be surprised how long some people managed to keep a secret life from people including their families. I don't expect them to give Patsy a happy ending though because drama and this is the perfect opportunity to show how things have progressed for the better over the last few decades.
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Yes I think most people would have been smart enough to keep it between themselves and their group of friends. Of course its all going to come out, and it'll be interesting to see how it's handled.
    My guess is Sister Monica Joan will be fine about the whole thing.
  • Options
    kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect Sister Julienne already has her suspicions about Patsy. There's a particular line during the voice over at the end of the episode while they're at the dinner table - something about not asking questions, I think it was - and she's looking at Patsy at that moment, which struck me as deliberate after its finally confirmed in the same episode that Patsy has a girlfriend or at the very least another woman she is very close to. I don't think it will faze the nuns much - they've seen everything I should think!. But it wouldn't be something anyone talked about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kat180 wrote: »
    I suspect Sister Julienne already has her suspicions about Patsy. There's a particular line during the voice over at the end of the episode while they're at the dinner table - something about not asking questions, I think it was - and she's looking at Patsy at that moment, which struck me as deliberate after its finally confirmed in the same episode that Patsy has a girlfriend or at the very least another woman she is very close to. I don't think it will faze the nuns much - they've seen everything I should think!. But it wouldn't be something anyone talked about.

I don't know about Julienne being suspicious, the VO isn't her and I doubt that she has given it much thought. Trixie on the other hand is now probably worried that Patsy is going to become a nun because she doesn't have a boyfriend, I think she thinks something is a bit off on that regard but she hasn't really put the pieces together considering Patsy all but told her after the Tom dancing nonsense. She should be getting a slight clue by now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    kat180 wrote: »

I noticed that too; quite deliberate look at Patsy and Delia. Am guessing that Sister Juienne sees something in them that maybe reminds her of herself and Charles all those years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just saw a clip on The One Show with Patsy and Trixie talking about the husband cheating with another man. Trixie pretty much says she's cool with gays and in face she tells Patsy that she once acted as a fake girlfriend for a gay doctor so he wouldn't lose his position.

Patsy doesn't give any opinion on him but she really seems to fishing for Trixies opinion on the situation. I don't if actually wants to tell her.
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    tennisman wrote: »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-2849343/Emerald-Fennell-Meet-multitalented-Call-Midwife-star.html
  • Options
    supergirlblibssupergirlblibs Posts: 5,038
    Forum Member
    I think we might see Tom not being OK with it, which will put a strain on his and Trixies relationship?
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw a clip on The One Show with Patsy and Trixie talking about the husband cheating with another man. Trixie pretty much says she's cool with gays and in face she tells Patsy that she once acted as a fake girlfriend for a gay doctor so he wouldn't lose his position.

Patsy doesn't give any opinion on him but she really seems to fishing for Trixies opinion on the situation. I don't if actually wants to tell her.

Yeah I saw that too. I thought Trixie would be fine with it, she seems more modern in her attitudes. Not sure everyone else eill be though, which makes sense for the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah I saw that too. I thought Trixie would be fine with it, she seems more modern in her attitudes. Not sure everyone else eill be though, which makes sense for the time.

I watched it on iplayer but couldn't figure out what Trixie said during one part.
    She said she didn't care who someone cheated with and then went on to say she didn't something but I didn't catch what she said.

I do think her reaction is maybe a tad modern for her during the period. She seems to be very much aware that gay people exist, have no issue with it and know what problems they might have in society. She seems way more clued up that I would give her credit for.
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Wasn't Sr Julienne very accepting of an incestuous relationship between an elderly brother and sister in one of the earliest episodes, which even today would be considered totally unacceptable by most people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wasn't Sr Julienne very accepting of an incestuous relationship between an elderly brother and sister in one of the earliest episodes, which even today would be considered totally unacceptable by most people.

I think she was sympathetic because of their history in the workhouse, she'll probably be thinking this is all due to Patsy being her the Internment camp and her family being killed which is was very upset to hear about.