Is Twitter incredibly hard to use, or is it just me? HELP!

SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,993
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've tried a couple of times to use Twitter, and it just doesn't seem to work for me (and I kind of don't even know what's going on?!). My OH has tried to help me, but he just gets bored with my uselessness.

These are my biggest problems:-

- my OH and I follow each other - yet when I tweet him, it doesn't appear on his page

- when I tweet someone I'm following, it doesn't appear on their page either.

I'm sure I'm doing it right (I looked in Twitter Help to make sure), and I've googled my problem - but all I get are webpages so technical that you need a PhD to understand them (even the ones that say they're for idiots!). Nobody ever tweets me back (apart from my OH), and I assume this is because they can't see my tweets.

Can anyone help me? Or do I just give up again and go back to Facebook? (I mean - how hard can it BE?!) Twitter just seems too difficult and frustrating - I'm clearly not clever enough to use it......... :(

PS. The height of irony - I tweeted my problem to Twitter Support, but because it's not on their page and they can't see it, they haven't replied....... :confused:

Comments

• SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I know it doesn't appear in pages, it just notifies the person and they can see it. If everything people tweeted to others went to their page for all to see twitter would be a mess.
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Use e-mail or text.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I struggle with it as well......

I've sent a couple of tweets but can't seem to get the hang of reading a series of linked ones........I'm always expecting to see a thread

And I don't like the way it gone like Facebook with 'advert tweets' .........and Re-Tweets.......I just want to see tweets from the person I'm following not a hundred other people who just happened to have tweeted them as well

I only follow Eurosport now and only read it to check on schedule changes to the TV listings.......
  • SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    As far as I know it doesn't appear in pages, it just notifies the person and they can see it. If everything people tweeted to others went to their page for all to see twitter would be a mess.
    But I've been reading that that is what is supposed to happen - that you go to a person's page and you see all their tweets & replies? I just don't understand and it's driving me nuts...... How do I know if they got my tweet or not then? :confused:

(Very funny, Sky_Guy! ;-))
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I've been reading that that is what is supposed to happen - that you go to a person's page and you see all their tweets & replies? I just don't understand and it's driving me nuts...... How do I know if they got my tweet or not then? :confused:

If you sent a tweet to them, they got it. You can see tweets you sent to others on your 'page'. If they send you a tweet back you can see it in 'notifications'.

Twitter isn't Facebook though, it's more of a broadcast platform, not something that was designed for 'messaging' in the strictest sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I struggle with it as well......

I've sent a couple of tweets but can't seem to get the hang of reading a series of linked ones........I'm always expecting to see a thread

And I don't like the way it gone like Facebook with 'advert tweets' .........and Re-Tweets.......I just want to see tweets from the person I'm following not a hundred other people who just happened to have tweeted them as well

I only follow Eurosport now and only read it to check on schedule changes to the TV listings.......
    I'm glad it's not just me! It seems daft not to have a proper thread - bits of conversation just seem to pop up all over the feed. Because I can't see my tweets on people's pages, I just don't trust that they've got through - and then when you don't get any reply, you don't know if they've actually seen it or not. (And then I start feeling 'shunned', and wondering why I'm even bothering?!) And don't start me on hashtags - I posted a few, but did my posts show? Did they hell...... :(
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad it's not just me! It seems daft not to have a proper thread - bits of conversation just seem to pop up all over the feed. Because I can't see my tweets on people's pages, I just don't trust that they've got through - and then when you don't get any reply, you don't know if they've actually seen it or not. (And then I start feeling 'shunned', and wondering why I'm even bothering?!) And don't start me on hashtags - I posted a few, but did my posts show? Did they hell...... :(

Why would you think that though?

But anyway, you can see tweets you sent on YOUR page, because YOU sent them :D

The person you tweeted will see your tweet to them in their notifications
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You are able to see the actions they take on their twitter page. If they favourite something, retweet or reply it will show up.

If you tweet something to someone and get their name right they will see it. You can search @theirusername but type it and press enter instead of clicking on their name and as long as their privacy settings aren't too tight it will show stuff tweeted directly to them.
  • rusty robotrusty robot Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    The best thing I read on Twitter recently was Frankie Boyle saying the election was going to be 5 weeks of being slapped in the face with a cock made of lies.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have never understood the twitter or the face book
  • Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    When you tweet someone it appears in their notifications. If they retweet your tweet then you can see it on their page.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    If you sent a tweet to them, they got it. You can see tweets you sent to others on your 'page'. If they send you a tweet back you can see it in 'notifications'.

Twitter isn't Facebook though, it's more of a broadcast platform, not something that was designed for 'messaging' in the strictest sense.
    Your second point is why my OH introduced me to it - news is 'instant' (unlike Facebook, where you really only see things your friends are talking about). I must admit, I do like that about it - FB seems very slow now.

What I still don't get is why my OH doesn't seem to get my tweets - could this be because he gets 100s a day, and they just get lost? (Unlike FB, it seems that you don't go back and read all your day's posts - Twitter seems to be about what you're looking at at the time, rather than the last 24 hours.)

Schmiznurf - thanks for that searching tip, I'll try it. Thanks to both of you for your tips, but what this seems to be showing me is that my tweets are so appallingly tedious, that nobody wants to reply to them! :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your second point is why my OH introduced me to it - news is 'instant' (unlike Facebook, where you really only see things your friends are talking about). I must admit, I do like that about it - FB seems very slow now.

What I still don't get is why my OH doesn't seem to get my tweets - could this be because he gets 100s a day, and they just get lost? (Unlike FB, it seems that you don't go back and read all your day's posts - Twitter seems to be about what you're looking at at the time, rather than the last 24 hours.)

Schmiznurf - thanks for that searching tip, I'll try it. Thanks to both of you for your tips, but what this seems to be showing me is that my tweets are so appallingly tedious, that nobody wants to reply to them! :cry:

As long as you are getting his twitter name correct it would notify him about it.

The only tweets that could get lost in the shuffle are general ones that get lost in the many other tweets from people your followers follow.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    You need to check your 'Connect' and 'Me' buttons to see what you have received and sent. If you see them there, they have been sent and received.

It took me a very long time to get the hang of Twitter. I tried around 6 years ago, gave up because it seemed too confusing and started up again 2 years ago. It's only within the last year that I've 'mastered' it - and now I'd be lost without it.

I can understand the confusion, by the way the conversation is laid out - I get similarly frustrated on YouTube and their weird lay-out of replies.

If you send a tweet, you should get a message showing saying that it's been sent, if not go to look at your own tweets sent, it should be there.

Experiment with all the options you have, Actions, Trends etc,

And don't give up that you might not be getting many tweets, you need to follow people when you see a tweet you like, or comment on it, start a little conversation going. They often follow back. I had about 20 people on my list for years, now it's getting on for 250, which is enough for me, because they are all people I like knowing.

Stick with it!
  • MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't use twitter because it just seems to be people posting opinions (but you can't really debate in 150 letters or less) or silly stuff and for the opinions I come here and other forums and for the silly stuff I use buzzfeed, happyplace etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to check your 'Connect' and 'Me' buttons to see what you have received and sent. If you see them there, they have been sent and received.

It took me a very long time to get the hang of Twitter. I tried around 6 years ago, gave up because it seemed too confusing and started up again 2 years ago. It's only within the last year that I've 'mastered' it - and now I'd be lost without it.

I can understand the confusion, by the way the conversation is laid out - I get similarly frustrated on YouTube and their weird lay-out of replies.

If you send a tweet, you should get a message showing saying that it's been sent, if not go to look at your own tweets sent, it should be there.

Experiment with all the options you have, Actions, Trends etc,

And don't give up that you might not be getting many tweets, you need to follow people when you see a tweet you like, or comment on it, start a little conversation going. They often follow back. I had about 20 people on my list for years, now it's getting on for 250, which is enough for me, because they are all people I like knowing.

Stick with it!
    Connect? Me? Actions? Yikes - what are these strange things of which you speak?! :o (Said she, after having examined her Twitter page and finding none of them!) And this following business seems rather forward to me - are you supposed to just do it when you feel like it? Don't they want to know who you are? (I'm mega-fussy with friends on Facebook - I accept very few requests.)

I've decided I must be rather old-fashioned (although I'm an IT person!). I know regular tweeters who are complete morons, so I should be able to do it? :confused: (Those 'morons' also use Instagram and Tumblr, which nearly sent me into a seizure when I looked at them - pure brain scrambling!)
    Forum Member
    MinnieMinz wrote: »
    I don't use twitter because it just seems to be people posting opinions (but you can't really debate in 150 letters or less) or silly stuff and for the opinions I come here and other forums and for the silly stuff I use buzzfeed, happyplace etc.

You can! I quite like the challenge of having to condense my opinion into 140 characters.
    Forum Member
    Connect? Me? Actions? Yikes - what are these strange things of which you speak?! :o (Said she, after having examined her Twitter page and finding none of them!) And this following business seems rather forward to me - are you supposed to just do it when you feel like it? Don't they want to know who you are? (I'm mega-fussy with friends on Facebook - I accept very few requests.)

I've decided I must be rather old-fashioned (although I'm an IT person!). I know regular tweeters who are complete morons, so I should be able to do it? :confused: (Those 'morons' also use Instagram and Tumblr, which nearly sent me into a seizure when I looked at them - pure brain scrambling!)

Ah, sorry! That's what they're called on my iPad, which I've got used to using until my new PC is set up - where they are probably called something else - Notifications, more likely. Whatever they are called on gour device, just have a good look at them, play around and see what they do.

Yes, you just add people! It's what makes Twitter work, so unless you get a real weirdo, no-one will complain. If they don't follow you, you can still enjoy their tweets - less than half of the people I follow, follow me back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    would one say me, i am one get fulfilled from using the twitter would i reap a benefit?
  • rusty robotrusty robot Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    would one say me, i am one get fulfilled from using the twitter would i reap a benefit?

Go home Billy, you're drunk.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, you DO get instant news! (We started this whilst living abroad - it was a great way of following the UK elections.)
    Forum Member

This should be in the 'it doesn't make sense in any forum' forum.
    Forum Member
    Well, you DO get instant news! (We started this whilst living abroad - it was a great way of following the UK elections.)

It can't be beaten for news, in my opinion.

It's also great for getting services to do their job, because companies don't like people to see that they're being incompetent. I recently had problems lasting over 2 weeks with my BT Broadband connection, sorted out within hours, via contact with them on Twitter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This should be in the 'it doesn't make sense in any forum' forum.

would one get fulfilled from one being on the twitter, would it be justifiable for one
  • RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once you get the hang of mentions an and hashtags it's pretty simple.