Kingsman: The Secret Service

124»

Comments

• mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just saw this and absolutely loved it!
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also felt the dog thing was a bit off.
    They were told the dog was part of a teamwork exercise. Given that, and how "teamwork" was presented at other points in the training, it seemed like shooting the dog for frivolous reasons would be the absolute wrong thing to do. And this was bolstered by the later discovery that the gun had blanks. The trainers weren't actually going to let the dog die. So why kick out a candidate for not doing what the trainers themselves didn't do?
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Congratulations are in order. Crossed the $100m mark in the US (now at $107m) and made another $169m elsewhere.

Should cross $300m with ease so a sequel is probably assured (if it hasn't been already).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Didn't think I'd like this but it was brilliantly done with some really exciting parts.
    I did hate the end with the swedish princess though. I wonder was there a different ending originally? because ANYTHING would've been better than that. It felt like a different film.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulations are in order. Crossed the $100m mark in the US (now at $107m) and made another $169m elsewhere.

Should cross $300m with ease so a sequel is probably assured (if it hasn't been already).

Weirdly I was just looking at this on box office mojo as well :)

Currently sitting at $295,170,000 worldwide, so I think you're spot on when you say it should easily cross the $300 million mark. Here's hoping the sequel is announced sooner rather than later.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was great. Really enjoyed it.
  • kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i loved it. also didn't like the ending but it wasn't that big of a problem. maybe it was a bit too long, but i really, really enjoyed it. the fight sequences were great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark Strong is such a great actor.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    So, Kingsman ends up with a very tidy $403m ww with a sequel greenlit (of course).

Didn't think it would trump Taken 3 ($325m), but there you go.
  • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    This is the sort of thing James Bond needs to be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    I liked it. Sometimes the tone was uncertain, but that didn't spoil the film, it just made it quirky. Likewise with other faults.

For example, Roxy didn't work for me. It's like they were trying to make a strong, female character but didn't know how. Gazelle did work, but her haircut reminded me of Claudia Winkleman, which was a hard image to shake.

Roxy would get it, though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the music in the fighting scenes. I loved how it was so unpredictable and not like cliche "Bond movies"
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched this last night & i loved it.Way OTT but that was the beauty of the film.i thought Eggsy & Roxy would end up hooking up.
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed it, had the same feel as Kick-ass albeit in a James Bond/Austin Powers scenario which gave it a sense of deja vu and robbed it of some its freshness. Nevertheless a solid 7.5/10
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    I also felt the dog thing was a bit off.
    They were told the dog was part of a teamwork exercise. Given that, and how "teamwork" was presented at other points in the training, it seemed like shooting the dog for frivolous reasons would be the absolute wrong thing to do. And this was bolstered by the later discovery that the gun had blanks. The trainers weren't actually going to let the dog die. So why kick out a candidate for not doing what the trainers themselves didn't do?

By the way, shooting blanks at a dog point at blank range would not only blind it but would also make it deaf.
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mixed bag for me with this;

Action sequences were OTT madness - a good thing.

Eggsy was quite a charming character - except for that absolutely diabolical anal nonsense at the end.

Colin Firth was great, except he didn't actually succeed in any mission we saw him on !

But then :

The training piece went on too long and some of the tests were a bit daft.

The class warfare between Eggsy and his co -trainees was sub adolescent crap.

Roxys "journey" felt tagged on and pointless to the point of being patronising to women.

The chavs all looked like drama school graduates, none of Eggsys home life was at all convincing...And neither was he as a chav...it was like watching a load of Ali G impersonators....innit ?

And the piece with the Norwegian princess which was obviously a barbed attack on James Bond film endings was so out of context with the rest of the film and so deliberately meant to outrage, that it just came across as puerile.

Lots of style but little else 2/5
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matthew Vaugh knocked this out of the park. The best film he's ever made. Better than Layer Cake, Stardust, Kick Ass and XMen: First Class.

Hugely enjoyable and everyone was great in this. Everyone. Should have been released last summer as for me it was A-grade blockbuster entertainment.
  • giratalkialgagiratalkialga Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Call me a cheapskate but isn't £15 a bit too much for one film, even if it's brand new and on Blu-Ray?
    I guess that they (20thCF) have to balance it out somewhere seeing as their new releases are only £10 for HD on iTunes.

Really hoping that the price will drop quickly and soon as they usually do.
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this again this week but my opinion hasn't really changed much. For the first two-thirds of its running length it's a fun, if occasionally vulgar and overly-violent, romp. It sends up not only Bond, but also The Avengers (the proper Avengers, that is, not the daft American comic book rubbish), Bourne and, most of all, itself.

And then comes that church scene, which I won't describe in detail for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. I struggle to recall when I last saw such a misjudged scene in a movie before. Gouged eyes and severed limbs completely alter the tone of the movie and it never recovers for me after that.

What I hadn't noticed previously is just how misogynist the movie is. Yes, there's a nod to feminism in that one of the recruits to the service (just 1 out of 6) is a woman and does well. But it's pretty obvious the director would rather she were making the tea. Worse, the blonde princess exists solely to be locked up by the villain and to offer anal sex to the young hero when he's saved the world - just five minutes after meeting.

So the message the film seems to be conveying is that if you're an oik from a council estate but play by the dirty rules of the ruling class, you too can have bum sex with a princess. Pretty crass in 2015.

All that said, there is much to enjoy about the film. Colin Firth is terrific and the film dies for me when he isn't onscreen. So I would still give this 3/5.
  • giratalkialgagiratalkialga Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    What I hadn't noticed previously is just how misogynist the movie is. Yes, there's a nod to feminism in that one of the recruits to the service (just 1 out of 6) is a woman and does well. But it's pretty obvious the director would rather she were making the tea. Worse, the blonde princess exists solely to be locked up by the villain and to offer anal sex to the young hero when he's saved the world - just five minutes after meeting.

Before I start, I don't quite understand why you refrained from describing the church due to spoiling it for others right before openly spoiling the ending (I've already seen it BTW but just a heads up for next time). It's an unwritten rule that you shouldn't go on threads for films that you haven't seen but (your comment) is still a bit illogical in that sense.

(spoilers below)

Just because you aren't shoving feminism left, right and center, down your viewer's throats and straight in their faces doesn't mean that you're a misogynist. Roxy wasn't a very well-developed character anyway and, while in all honesty I would've preferred a bit more of her too, it would've cluttered up the final battle scene. The one-on-one between Merlin and Gary over walkie-talkie at the lair worked very well and having to stop Valentine from taking over whilst also fending off sword-legs Gazelle at the same time upped the ante quite a bit for me; if Roxy had been fighting in the lair too it would've been too easy and a third over the mic would've been too hard to keep up with and concentrate on.
    I wouldn't say that Roxy's satellite-shattering efforts went unnoticed though and I'm glad that Vaughn didn't go down the predictable route of Gary and Roxy falling in love.

The anal joke was a little bit out of place at face value but then again she did actually go against Valentine's plans and wasn't quite the 'solely exists to .....' that you said she was. I thought that it was deliberately meant to be brash and shocking in the same way that the church fight was and that it worked in that sense. The innuendos in Bond ("I think he's attempting re-entry sir!") were very suggestive and flirting with going too far, and Kingsman was lampooning that by shoving it down your throat (pun not intended) and shouting "This is straight-up and honest. They're having sex" as loud as it could.
    I thought it was funny in that sense anyway. At face value it was very puerile but you have to dig a bit deeper to get the message.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it this afternoon and it was really good fun.

I was worried that I would dislike the main character but I really liked him,

Can't believe that I watched the whole film and didn't recognise Luke Skywalker :)
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally got round to watching this and thought it was quite good.

Thought the fight scenes were pretty good and had a Hong Kong action feel to them, turns out the fight scenes were directed by Bradley Allan who was member of Jackie Chan's stunt team for 12 years.