Options

Home and Away- Over The Top or 'Normal'

Paul KellermanPaul Kellerman Posts: 513
Forum Member
✭✭
Do you prefere it now or when it was all deaths, drugs guns, bitches, explosions and cults and dramatic stunts and affairs?

Comments

• Options
    Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    Like all soaps - its best when it gets the balance right between dramatic and normal ie; the mid 90's.

When Eastenders was in its gangster phase it was awful, but when it had the likes of Steve Owen, and plenty other things going on with the Bealles, Slaters and Fowlers, it was at its best.

We don't want over dramatic. We don't want boring teens, and love affairs, we want the right balance! Some might call it....the perfect blend :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like all soaps - its best when it gets the balance right between dramatic and normal ie; the mid 90's.

When Eastenders was in its gangster phase it was awful, but when it had the likes of Steve Owen, and plenty other things going on with the Bealles, Slaters and Fowlers, it was at its best.

We don't want over dramatic. We don't want boring teens, and love affairs, we want the right balance! Some might call it....the perfect blend :D

Does any soap have the perfect blend at the moment?
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,923
    Forum Member
    I found Home and Away the absolutely pits when they had the never ending stalker storylines, I even stopped watching at that point for a couple of years. I felt the people smuggling storyline from last year went on for too long, or rather the build up to it was too drawn out that you just wanted it to be over in the end. It's a shame because they spent ages hyping up the whole 'mystery'.

As for your question as to whether any soap has "the perfect blend" I'm tempted to say yes.... Neighbours :D (Sorry :o )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found Home and Away the absolutely pits when they had the never ending stalker storylines, I even stopped watching at that point for a couple of years. I felt the people smuggling storyline from last year went on for too long, or rather the build up to it was too drawn out that you just wanted it to be over in the end. It's a shame because they spent ages hyping up the whole 'mystery'.

As for your question as to whether any soap has "the perfect blend" I'm tempted to say yes.... Neighbours :D (Sorry :o )

I thought that wasn't doing so well... who pushed Paul R by the way?
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    re: April, is she really trying to stop people from drinking water on the beach ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ??????????
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    I suppose it depends on what you watch a soap for in the first place. For me it is escapism, so I'm not looking for utmost realism and OTT storylines don't bother me. Anything would be better than H&A as it is right now. Dull, dull, dull. :yawn:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on what you watch a soap for in the first place. For me it is escapism, so I'm not looking for utmost realism and OTT storylines don't bother me. Anything would be better than H&A as it is right now. Dull, dull, dull. :yawn:

Even worse then Neighbours?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Personally for me Corrie walks that line.

No it's not always perfect (there's loads I would do with it if I had the chance!) but it's got it's serious storylines but it has comical moments too.

Also I love the fact that it has a decent sized older cast and isn't so focused on the young 'uns like the Australian soaps.

I find H&A far too over the top, full of beautiful people and the family units don't work for me. The best example is the ridiculous sotryline of Charlie being Ruby's mother. Possibly because I can't stand the "actress" who plays Charlie. She is a stunning woman but only seems to have 3 acting faces.
    Plus she is the worst mother ever. She is hardly seen with her vulnerable daughter, instead they like to focus on her beautiful looks flaunting about with every man going.

Ugh. Rant over
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha she sounds terrible!

Amanda Vale is the only woman I knew!
  • Options
    junipairejunipaire Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love H&A past and present, yeah you can't have a gripping storyline always, it will get one back again, it maybe could do with a few new characters though, something to spice it up a bit. Alf and the puppet was legendary though, anything Alf does is funny and he still using them old classic line like "you flaming galar", "you mongrel" "stone the crows" neighbour's jelly belly Bishop was good but not Alf status by a long way and now he's left although I do see Larikan Lou has returned.

Oh have to disagree with the Charlie slagging off, she is amazing character and Esther Anderson (who yeah is beautiful beyond words) I think is a great actress, only doesn't see to much of Ruby cause Ruby wanted some space to deal with her illness, she does still care for her and maybe too much as she recently went well over the top with Ruby drinking a bottle of vodka. Still she is the best thing in Home and Away for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Home and Away is dreadful at the moment; they have spoilers being released like "Dex wants to buy a parrot" and "Ruby steals some wine" and "Charlie and Angelo move house" .... seriously; who cares?!?!

I think the show started going downhill the moment 2010 began. They've gotten rid of all their classic characters this year and instead we're left with 'pretty' people who look good but can't act for toffee. I agree with the comparison about Esther; she's a terrible actress; when she cries it looks like she's laughing and she's clearly only there to prance around in her bikini and look good. Same for Angelo; it amazes me that these two are being promoted as the big H&A couple.

All the teens at the moment are so dire and seem to just hang around in groups of two; not interacting all together. I miss the days of Belle, Matilda, Cassie etc; they used to have fun not worry about people taking bottles onto beaches *shock horror*

Even during the times of Jack and Martha, Aden and Belle, Rachel and Tony; sometimes they were overexposed but at least their storylines were decent and the acting was great as well as them being core characters to the show with a lot of history. It made them easily relatable and loveable to the fans but now there's nothing to get excited about.

I can't even bear to watch it anymore which is a shame as I used to love H&A.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    re: April, is she really trying to stop people from drinking water on the beach ?

I'm hopng Xavier pops his socks because of this and he gets dehydrated his voice and acting grate on me so mcuh
  • Options
    kushtiimayteekushtiimaytee Posts: 9,732
    Forum Member
    I thought that wasn't doing so well... who pushed Paul R by the way?

I heard on the neighbours grapevine it was
    Rebecca
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mirabelle wrote: »
    I'm hopng Xavier pops his socks because of this and he gets dehydrated his voice and acting grate on me so mcuh

:D I'm still holding out for a Apruby coupling. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who was the greatest bitch and bad boy in this sdoap... never really watched it before!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who was the greatest bitch and bad boy in this sdoap... never really watched it before!

Are you after people we loved to hate, or people we just hated.

If it's the later, then I couldn't stand Kane and all the other (and there was quite a few) 'reformed' rapists. :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you after people we loved to hate, or people we just hated.

If it's the later, then I couldn't stand Kane and all the other (and there was quite a few) 'reformed' rapists. :mad:

Good bad boys not crappy actors.

WTH reformed rapist?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WTH reformed rapist?

Kane - attacks Dani - then has relationship with her sister and become valued member of the community.

Jonah - unable to complete the attack on Tasha after drugging her, but doesn't stop someone else to do it, and was involved in previous attacks - goes onto to become valued member of the community with his farming duties and involvement with Tasha best friend Martha.

and I'm sure there are others.
  • Options
    TiffaniTiffani Posts: 5,444
    Forum Member
    From the time they decided to make the show more family friendly (just after the race riots storyline) it has been pretty boring. It was sometimes too OTT but i thought the show was at its best when there was an exciting storyline like Sarah taking everyone hostage or with the psycho Zoe. Nowadays the most exciting storyline is Ruby's crush on Liam, so that just tells you the show has gone down hill.
  • Options
    BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member

There's been some great villains over the years - Angie Russell, Amanda Vale. Sarah Lewis, Zoe McCallister and her many alter egoes!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    H and A sounds mad!
  • Options
    jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Kane - attacks Dani - then has relationship with her sister and become valued member of the community.

Jonah - unable to complete the attack on Tasha after drugging her, but doesn't stop someone else to do it, and was involved in previous attacks - goes onto to become valued member of the community with his farming duties and involvement with Tasha best friend Martha.

and I'm sure there are others.

I'm surprised that Robbo didn't become a valued member of community and end up dating Charlie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ I think in Australia he's just gotten early release due to good behaviour and for not drowning anyone whilst in the clink. He's returning to the Bay as the new Ice Cream seller and Birthday Party Clown :)
  • Options
    jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    ^ I think in Australia he's just gotten early release due to good behaviour and for not drowning anyone whilst in the clink. He's returning to the Bay as the new Ice Cream seller and Birthday Party Clown :)

I think there is a good chance he will come back and be Ruby's new boyfriend, I'm sure Charlie won't mind at all.