Father Ted Question.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 298
Forum Member
Did Father Ted come to an end due to the death of Dermot Morgan?
Or had the writers decided to end the series and it was just an unfortunate coincidence?

Comments

• davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I remember rightly it was a sad co-incidence. I'm pretty sure that he died just a few days after the last espisode had been recorded.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    He died just one day after they finished record.

Does Father Ted have an actual ending though?
    I dont think ive ever watched the final episode.
  • GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Father Ted come to an end due to the death of Dermot Morgan?
    Or had the writers decided to end the series and it was just an unfortunate coincidence?

I'm pretty sure there would have been more series.

One of the writers said that they were approached soon after Dermot's death (possibly even at the funeral) by someone touting for Dermot's role in the series. They didn't name the guilty party!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    Glengavel wrote: »

One of the writers said that they were approached soon after Dermot's death (possibly even at the funeral) by someone touting for Dermot's role in the series. They didn't name the guilty party!

Im glad they didnt recast and let the series come to a natural conclusion.
    I cant picture anyone else playing Ted Crilly.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glengavel wrote: »

I would've named the guilty party like a shot!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a co-indence they have stated multple times they weren't ever going to do more.

The original ending to the last episode was changed though.
  • LillithLillith Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was the original ending ?
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was rumours at the time of a Father Ted film.

I think that's all they were though, rumours.

From wikipedia, the original ending
    The episode was always intended to be the last Father Ted — indeed, in the original script the last scene was to be set at the 'It's Still Great Being a Priest' with Father Kevin once again on the window ledge and once again Ted arrives on the ledge, except this time it's not to stop him from jumping but to join him, because he was depressed that the intended trip to America fell through and he would have to stay on Craggy Island forever. This ending was abandoned in favour of a montage of clips from all three series of the show, because Ted himself — the actor Dermot Morgan — died the day after filming on the series was concluded. In addition, the writers didn't think that their original ending was very funny.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it was just a very sad coincidence :(

Something tells me they would have made another couple of specials though ala The Royle Family.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe they wouldn't have given in to pressure to do some specials even if not another series. Though whether those specials would have been any good is another matter.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why can't another priest go to Craggy Island to take over Father Ted's position ?
  • crystal_methcrystal_meth Posts: 8,379
    Forum Member
    I don't think they could recreate Father Ted, some things should be left well alone. It would be like trying to make Fawlty Towers with someone other than John Cleese's Basil Fawlty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can't another priest go to Craggy Island to take over Father Ted's position ?

:eek: :eek: Never !!
  • Mr BungleMr Bungle Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was after the end of show party that Dermot died.

Arthur and Graham had already said that they didn't want to do any more, so it had been decided that the 3rd series would have been the last - going out on a high and all that.

Graham has also said that, though filmed, the suicide ending was too much of a downer, so it was scrapped anyway.

They also didn't want to do any 'specials', after they didn't enjoy the writing process for the hour-long 'A Christmassy Ted' episode.