Cheryl Cole covered by ... Vampire Weekend?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just stumbled upon this....

http://stereogum.com/602992/vampire-weekend-fight-for-this-love-cheryl-cole-cover/mp3s/

Wonderfully odd. The strange thing is that its actually wonderfully catchy, although I fear this may be, to pop fans what Matt Cardle off the X-Factor covering Biffy was to "alt" fans.

Well done Vampire Weekend.

Comments

• rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    I love VW and the instrumental of this track is gawjus, but the vocals ruin it for me a bit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The inclusion of brass is a wonderfull move.

They know how to pick a good unexpected cover. The Rancid cover from a few months back was hilariously un expected, and infuriated my friend, who like me it a massive Rancid fan, but unlike me hates vampire weekend.

The whole endevour was validated for me by his reaction.
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer the original.

It's a great song, and unlike many of these live lounge style covers, it doesn't benefit from this sort of treatment.

Biffy, Arctic Monkeys and Elbow are the best at taking a pop song and making it sound a bit more credible
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neel wrote: »
    The inclusion of brass is a wonderfull move.

They know how to pick a good unexpected cover. The Rancid cover from a few months back was hilariously un expected, and infuriated my friend, who like me it a massive Rancid fan, but unlike me hates vampire weekend.

The whole endevour was validated for me by his reaction.

Where can I hear the Rancid cover? Just looked on Youtube but couldnt find anything there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaceygal wrote: »
    Where can I hear the Rancid cover? Just looked on Youtube but couldnt find anything there.

It was a cover of Ruby Soho. I got it from the same website as in the first post, it was a Radio 1 live lounge cover as well, if that helps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    Far better than the original IMO... but still a dynamically dull song
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who covered Ruby Soho?