Ranking Female Singers At Their Peak

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
Forum Member
This is in relation to the "Is Beyonce bigger than Mariah" thread and some other threads awhile back asking whether Gaga is bigger than Britney/Spice Girls at their peak...

So how would you rank in terms of success all the female artists ever when they were at the peak of their game and fame? This includes Madonna (Like A Prayer and Blond Ambition era probably), Britney (...Baby One More Time), GaGa (Bad Romance and The Fame Monster era), Whitney (The Bodyguard maybe), Janet, Mariah, Celine, Beyonce, Barbra Streisand, Diana Ross, etc. What do you think the order of success is? Who was the absolute biggest?

Comments

• Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I wasn't around when Diana and Babs were at their peak so I can't comment on them.

Madonna was the most successful

Next could either be: Mariah/Whitney/Celine who were equally successful in their primes
    Or Britney. At her peak she was and still is to some extent a cultural icon. Mariah, Whitney and Celine were hugely successful household names, renowned for their vocals but were never icons. Britney also had massive sales at her peak.

Janet

Gaga/ Spice girls

Beyonce/ Rihanna

Christina
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    I feel like it would be unfair.Mariah, Whitney and Celine were vocalists, Madonna, Janet and Britney were performers/entertainers.And btw Christina deserved much more than an "etc"; a real mention!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Yeah she was huge during Stripped. And I'd probably say the Spice Girls were bigger than any of these, even Madonna, at the hight of Spicemania!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Although I wasn't around when Madonna was at her peak, my mum says that her and Michael Jackson were literally like gods back in the day and she said that Madonna was bigger than any other woman before or since.

Britney

GaGa

Beyonce

Rhianna
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can we really say Gaga's already had her peak?

For all we know she could release a huge single & album that shits on every aspect of TFM.
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    We can't predict if certain women listed have peaked Gaga, B and Rihanna mainly
  • MindBodySoulMindBodySoul Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Madonna
    Britney/Whitney
    Spice Girls/Mariah
    Beyoncé/Gaga

Christina, etc.

That's from the '80s anyway, when I believe the modern female popstar really started with people like Madonna, Cyndi and Debbie Harry amongst others.

Not sure why Christina was mentioned with the rest. She was huge during Stripped, but she wasn't a phenomenon like the others listed.:confused:
    Forum Member
    Not sure why Christina was mentioned with the rest. She was huge during Stripped, but she wasn't a phenomenon like the others listed.:confused:
    I solved this one!Christina has definetely not peaked yet so the OP was just giving her a compliment by not including her ;)
    Forum Member
    O.Michel wrote: »
    I solved this one! Christina has definetely not peaked yet so the OP was just giving her a compliment by not including her ;)

I really hope this is a joke.:D

I don't think anyone is expecting Christina to make any more impact commercially. Or at least, she'll need her TV show to help her (a far cry from the cocky, successful, stylish girl from yesteryear). She better deliver the goods with her next album and stop dressing like a 60 year old tranny on a delayed mid-life crisis and improve her vocal care or her career is finished.
    Forum Member
    I really hope this is a joke.:D

I don't think anyone is expecting Christina to make any more impact commercially. Or at least, she'll need her TV show to help her (a far cry from the cocky, successful, stylish girl from yesteryear). She better deliver the goods with her next album and stop dressing like a 60 year old tranny on a delayed mid-life crisis and improve her vocal care or her career is finished.
    Well, it's easy to say all that just a year after a chart disaster.Her vocals were rather messy the last few months before 'Bionic' but nobody thought her career was over back then...Interesting
    Forum Member
    Well, it's easy to say all that just a year after a chart disaster.Her vocals were rather messy the last few months before 'Bionic' but nobody thought her career was over back then...Interesting

If I remember correctly, it's not just a simple album flop, but the two singles did too, as did her tour, and she starred in a film with Cher called Burlesque (embarrassing enough in itself before it turned out to be hilariously bad too) a messed up Superbowl performance, a performance at the Grammys where more people remember her lack of balance than her shrieking onstage, a big media backlash, and then starring in a reality tv show with music icons such as... Uh... The dude from that band who did This Love, Blake Shelton (who?!) and Cee-Lo, who is actually pretty cool.

More than just an album flop, really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M-A-D-O-N-N-A! Also must add that with her she has not had a single ONE peak but TWO massive ones. After TFA,LAV and TB she elevated herself literally like none before or after with Like A Prayer as an album and era, and Blonde Ambition and this high level of attention really did continue into the 90s Erotica/SEX/Maverick/girlie Show. And then she would hit massively again with Ray Of Light/Music/Drowned World. And while Confessions was a massive album in the decade and era itself could be a third peak. And maybe her next will be a peak for her in the digital era :cool: And her records, success, status is still untouched :) Her tours continue to be massive successes also. Her record sales are undisputed at approx 300 million global shipments (guiness world record and counting) and she is RUNNIN THIS MOTHA!

then i would say the Diva Bunch Celine/Barbara/Whitney/Mariah really HAVE to tie it up because their sales reach between 150mill-200mill each! they have certified themselves as massive vocalists who set the standard and also no matter what they will always be respected names.

Then definitely Britney Spears maybe SPice girls just behind as Britney really was one of the factors of the Teen Pop wave in the late 90s and from 1999 - 2004 had a fantastic chain of hit after hit and really brought back this mania for MTV and pop culture and has sold over 100 million. While SPICEMANIA was incredibly huge in the mid 90s, everyone had their fave member(s) tunes, and SPice and SPiceworld were huge sellers in all territories. And with those albums became absolutely massive sellers reaching almost 100 million alone :-O :cool:

Then Pop Princesses Kylie and Janet for their influence on pop culture and also being relative high standard Pop Icons :)

Then Cher/Debbie Harry(Blondie)/Stevie Nicks(Fleetwood Mac success). The more "cult" females who are recognised most definitely by name, iconography and their smash hits. Each members of equally famous bands (in Chers case duet group with Sonny) and have sustained solo profiles in the music industry. Collectively have surpassed the 100 million mark each with their respective successes definitely and have made impact for different reasons in music and pop culture.

Then i will say Christina/Destinys Child(Bey)/TLC/P!nk must tie it up definitely. I mean each have had massive peaks in themselves. Writings On The Wall, Stripped, Dangerously In Love, Crazy.Sexy.Cool, Missundaztood/Funhouse etc. where they had massive peaks and each have sold massively and have iconic routines/videos/songs. And while maybe are more mainstream "overlooked" artists (in some respects definitely) they all have strong points and have made absolutely names for themselves too.

Then i will say is the current wave of Lady gaga and RIhanna. The leading Ladies of now gaga (while i am no fan of her debut) had a massive launch peak with The Fame and The Fame Monster, which commercially she hasnt matched but her popularity has ensured fans came back for Born This Way. While RIhanna very much has grown into her fame in 2007 and has sustained continuity and commercial success since her third album! And both are massive sellers too.

That is personally how i would rank the female artists. :)
    Forum Member
    If I remember correctly, it's not just a simple album flop, but the two singles did too, as did her tour, and she starred in a film with Cher called Burlesque (embarrassing enough in itself before it turned out to be hilariously bad too) a messed up Superbowl performance, a performance at the Grammys where more people remember her lack of balance than her shrieking onstage, a big media backlash, and then starring in a reality tv show with music icons such as... Uh... The dude from that band who did This Love, Blake Shelton (who?!) and Cee-Lo, who is actually pretty cool.

She had a disastrous year, but right now she is back on form with actual label support, the media have bashed her enough so they'll give her a break now that some pets are underperforming and she is working with some great composers and producers.Christina has a huge ego and from the time she married Jordan she just put her career aside, but now that she's thirsty...
    Forum Member
    She had a disastrous year, but right now she is back on form with actual label support, the media have bashed her enough so they'll give her a break now that some pets are underperforming and she is working with some great composers and producers.Christina has a huge ego and from the time she married Jordan she just put her career aside, but now that she's thirsty...

But is she thirsty? Last time I checked she was looking bored and digitally edited in a bad cameo to an average Maroon 5 song.
    Forum Member
    But is she thirsty? Last time I checked she was looking bored and digitally edited in a bad cameo to an average Maroon 5 song.
    I didn't think she looked bad, but anyway, she is still losing weight and maybe she just wasn't confident to film a video yet.Anyway, this was a video by another artist, but you never know what Christina may pull for the album, so...
  • MartynMac123MartynMac123 Posts: 3,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    most sucessfull female today
    ADELE

overall...Madonna probs with britney and adele close by :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Seriously, what did you do to make her piss in your cornflakes?

Also, lets not forget that Madonna, Mariah, Janet, etc. have all flopped as well.
  • zackai48zackai48 Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm amazed that no one has mentioned Dusty Springfield. Massively huge on both sides on the Atlantic in her day- and with a voice few, if any, have ever matched.