kmfm can have one breakfast show

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    it needs strong local names listeners know and relate to. Having Mark Gedge on mid mornings at the moment sounds great but he really shows up how poor most of the other presenters are. As far as the new breakfast show is concerned, KM would do well to try and tempt Darryl Denham back to Kent.
    Er, strong local names like Daryl Denham or Mark Gedge???? Incidentally that's the 2nd time you have mentioned Mark Gedge, a mate of yours is he?
    I noticed that the reason for the format changes, (quoting the OFCOM website) is that Kmfm radio is running at a loss these changes will help reverse that. We are committed to providing local and relevant information for instance traffic, events and community news will still be relevant to the broadcast area. These changes will not substantially alter the localness and content of the output. As far as I'm aware KMFM has NOT been running at a loss for some months now and how can anyone say that by networking all of the output it will not substantially alter the localness of the stations? Of course it will. Last time they merged stations during the day, the audience left in their droves and the figures to this day have never recovered so don't try telling me that a bit of technology that can drop a local link in at any time is going to make a massive difference - it won't because the audience, contrary to popular belief, is not stupid. Dissing the local breakfast shows is a recipe for disaster but then, from what I am hearing, that's what happens when you put an accountant in charge:mad:
  • BundymanBundyman Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member
    Er, strong local names like Daryl Denham or Mark Gedge???? Incidentally that's the 2nd time you have mentioned Mark Gedge, a mate of yours is he?
    I noticed that the reason for the format changes, (quoting the OFCOM website) is that Kmfm radio is running at a loss these changes will help reverse that. We are committed to providing local and relevant information for instance traffic, events and community news will still be relevant to the broadcast area. These changes will not substantially alter the localness and content of the output. As far as I'm aware KMFM has NOT been running at a loss for some months now and how can anyone say that by networking all of the output it will not substantially alter the localness of the stations? Of course it will. Last time they merged stations during the day, the audience left in their droves and the figures to this day have never recovered so don't try telling me that a bit of technology that can drop a local link in at any time is going to make a massive difference - it won't because the audience, contrary to popular belief, is not stupid. Dissing the local breakfast shows is a recipe for disaster but then, from what I am hearing, that's what happens when you put an accountant in charge:mad:

Yes you are correct.

Any time you take away any number of shows & make them one, of course it's going to alter the service to some degree.

Dropping in links using technology can be done,but it's no real substitute for talking to an area properly every link
  • MickeyBricksMickeyBricks Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Er, no. But it does make a change to have a pro on the air in Kent, we don't get many.
  • airwavesairwaves Posts: 2,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From hearing a promo out the news this afternoon it sounds as if Rob Wills will be doing breakfast. He starts Monday at 6am.
  • Stuart ClarksonStuart Clarkson Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Just announced this morning... Rob Wills is doing the new single breakfast show:

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2012/03/rob-wills-to-do-single-kmfm-breakfast-show/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Rob's been with km for a number of years now, most recently presenting breakfast on kmfm extra. He's a very talented producer and one of the people behind Audio Sweets.
  • James Martin 2James Martin 2 Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bundyman wrote: »
    Yet another Ofcom cave in then.

I despair of this weak, toothless regulator. Their dreadful decisions have spelt the end of local radio in the UK & the end of many peoples careers.

Don't suppose Ofcom care about any that though, as long as the owners can do as they please & run them cheaper.

No we can't have a frequency audit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simon243 wrote: »
    Airlines - introducing self service and online check-in so the need for staffed check-in desks at the airport is virtually eradicated.

Why should commercial radio be any different?

Absolutely. The major charter airline I worked for has, in recent years:

1. Reduced standard baggage allowance
    2. Removed a meal as a standard part of your ticket
    3, Removed entertainment on shorthaul
    4. Stopped stocking-up at the foreign airport
    5. Diverted all resources - and I mean all resources - into selling.

Again, why should radio be different? Whilst I don't quite agree that split breakfasts are unviable if the rest of the output is shared, I can see why the decision is taken.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bundyman wrote: »
    The viability of it is totally irrelevant really.
    I've had some time to think about what I really want to write, and my conclusion still is that you have to be having a laugh with that statement.

Commercial radio licenses were, I admit, set up to do certain things - I get that. However many of these licences were issued 10-15 years ago in a very different world to the one we live in in 2012.

Commercial radio receives no money from the BBC license fee, as you know. If the station isn't able to operate viably it doesn't survive. What you can't see is that Ofcom are actually helping the situation by allowing stations to change their license conditions to reflect the market of 2012, and not a market of the late 90s.

This also, of course, allows KMFM to move to own a position in the market vacated by the departure of Invicta FM.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congrats to Rob who will host breakfast in addition to his PD duties. I think it goes to show they have next to no budget to hire a well known Kent heritage jock who can give Heart a run for their money, although I'm sure Rob will put his all into that show.

I thought either Mike Russell or Kirstyn and Webbo would go countywide at Breakfast, but there you go.
  • Peace100Peace100 Posts: 3,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congrats to Rob who will host breakfast in addition to his PD duties. I think it goes to show they have next to no budget to hire a well known Kent heritage jock who can give Heart a run for their money, although I'm sure Rob will put his all into that show.

I thought either Mike Russell or Kirstyn and Webbo would go countywide at Breakfast, but there you go.

Amazing that KMFM didnt think any of their existing Breakfast presenters were up to the job and instead the PD gets the job...do I smell something????
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 401
    Forum Member
    Peace100 wrote: »
    .....do I smell something????

Depends where your nose is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul Easton has written a great piece on radio regulation.

The anecdotes made by then GWR now Quidem chief Steve Orchard on 2CR being fined for playing one 70s cut too few in a 3-hour period, or Leicester Sound for playing too much music are of particular interest. The idea that a music station could be done for playing too much music is absurd. I thought that sort of over-regulation went with the IBA.
  • RidgiemanRidgieman Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at their website www.kmfm.co.uk they have gone completely including Mike Russell on Saturday afternoons. They have a two new names on there Ed Matthews on a Saturday and Garry Wilson (ex Mercury Fm) on Sunday afternoons. However Mark Benson is listed every day (this cannot be correct surely)?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The website has been updated with the new schedule. It appears Essential 80's and 90's have been given the chop for a weekend show called 'Ultimate Floorfillers'

Mark Benson also gets another hour by axing The Retro Years.
  • simon243simon243 Posts: 3,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peace100 wrote: »
    Amazing that KMFM didnt think any of their existing Breakfast presenters were up to the job and instead the PD gets the job...do I smell something????

I don't think it's a question of the existing presenters not being up to the job.

They've given the show to (I presume) an existing staff member, who's already being paid a salary. So it won't cost them anything (or at the most a small pay rise), and he can still do his PD duties after 10.

That, plus the fact they've recently made their Group PD redundant, says to me KM are going through tough times.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ridgieman wrote: »
    However Mark Benson is listed every day (this cannot be correct surely)?
    Voice tracking?
  • RidgiemanRidgieman Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    airwaves wrote: »
    The website has been updated with the new schedule. It appears Essential 80's and 90's have been given the chop for a weekend show called 'Ultimate Floorfillers'

And that is being presented by Rob tonight. I am disappointed Chris Oxlade does not feature after having done a few shows there recently.
  • up to the vocalup to the vocal Posts: 2,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's a question of the existing presenters not being up to the job.

They've given the show to (I presume) an existing staff member, who's already being paid a salary. So it won't cost them anything (or at the most a small pay rise), and he can still do his PD duties after 10.

That, plus the fact they've recently made their Group PD redundant, says to me KM are going through tough times.

Yet,they can still afford to pay Tony Blackburn for his Sunday show....at the moment.
  • simon243simon243 Posts: 3,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet,they can still afford to pay Tony Blackburn for his Sunday show....at the moment.

If he's on a fixed term contract they'd have to pay him whether he's on air or not. May as well keep him on in that case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he's on a fixed term contract they'd have to pay him whether he's on air or not. May as well keep him on in that case.

Is that not funded by P&O Ferries, like the KCFM show was?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that not funded by P&O Ferries, like the KCFM show was?

In that case.,it's a shame they can't talk to their friends at P&O Ferries and get them to sponsor each daily local breakfast show...Tony B will find it easier to find a free studio now//:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ridgieman wrote: »
    And that is being presented by Rob tonight. I am disappointed Chris Oxlade does not feature after having done a few shows there recently.

The absence of a picture presenter wise on the website probably says Rob won't be a permanent fixture just a fill in at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    airwaves wrote: »
    The absence of a picture presenter wise on the website probably says Rob won't be a permanent fixture just a fill in at the moment.

Well.he has been announced.and there is a picture of him on the website.All KMFM need to do is change the bit on his bio that says 'tune into Rob at Drivetime.Oh,Its permanent,,:(