Global GMG Deal - Competition Commission

Comments

• omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Broadcast have an article about the takeover.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/comment/globals-acquisition-strategy-in-disarray/5052201.article

It doesn't contain any new information but speculates about a fourth option: John Simons and the remaining GMG team could attempt a management buyout and keep the stations independent. I don't think that's very likely, though.
    ... A final solution could be a management buyout. RSL is led by experienced and competent executives such as John Simons could possibly raise the money from equity markets and take the group independent again, albeit still requiring a national sales agent.

There is no neat solution. Ironically it is likely that the next announcement of consolidation in the commercial radio will not be from Global, but from Bauer as it moves to absorb national rock station Absolute.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't contain any new information but speculates about a fourth option: John Simons and the remaining GMG team could attempt a management buyout and keep the stations independent. I don't think that's very likely, though.
    However if Global get Real for Heart, then the RSL team could just buy Smooth and Real XS for about £35m, but still leaves potential local advertising competition problems as Global will be very strong in some areas?
  • GenesysGenesys Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Sam & Mark's show comes from Global actually...
  • Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    Do we know the planned date of the CC's final conclusions. Or when they will be presented to Global?
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Les Wires wrote: »
    Do we know the planned date of the CC's final conclusions. Or when they will be presented to Global?

I notice that today the final deadline of the final report has been extended to 22nd May - so I would say that date at the latest:

http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/assets/competitioncommission/docs/2012/global-radio-gmg/notice_of_extension.pdf

Here was the previous timetable:

http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/assets/competitioncommission/docs/2012/global-radio-gmg/administrative_timetable.pdf
  • Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote: »

Thank-you.

Some period for negotiations in addition to 'exploration' I guess.

I wonder if Bauer will be involved?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Les Wires wrote: »
    Thank-you.

Some period for negotiations in addition to 'exploration' I guess.

I wonder if Bauer will be involved?

I imagine all the players will be putting their viewpoint forward - maybe some behind the scenes chats.

Afterall, the findings could have implications is any of the other groups want to expand or someone enters the market like Global did wanting to make that move.
  • Phil HenryPhil Henry Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    anybody with an interest can get involved... I know some current and ex-members of RSL staff aren't too happy (putting it mildly!) with some of the things Global had written in their application and are writing in asking for quantification of some of the things that Global have said will be "better" or that they have which are "superior" that they will improve after getting hold of the RSL stations... Have a good read of the application, it's on the CC website, and you'll see just how vague some of it is!

If you have an opinion (and it's valid and not just a pie-in-the-sky objection!), write in and have your say, otherwise, what's the point in having this period?!
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    The decision is discussed in this Radio Academy podcast, for those interested, chaired by former GMG boss John Myers: http://www.radioacademy.org/podcasts/

(Warning - it's one of those annoying pages that immediately plays the content without giving you any warning)
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish they would just get on with it.

Rebranding Real as heart makes perfect sense to expand the brand across the UK.

Smooth is perhaps an issue but not something that can't be solved.

The XS stations in Manchester and Paisley are a waste of time and disposable.

For years heritage stations had a monopoly in most local markets, then they introduced competition with regionals and small scale stations. The small scale stations mostly went bust and we are left with two companies competing for the commercial audience in many markets. That is what was envisaged as sufficient competition for a long time. If the BBC have 51% of a local audience and that leaves 49% for commercial operators to compete for, surely two in a market regardless of the stations or branding are enough to satisfy that? Even in decent sized markets a share of 49% may be cutting it fine to cover the cost of transmitting on FM (and/or AM) plus DAB with more than one station.

Time reality kicked in and the regulators allow the mergers to create the radio landscape that should have been developed years ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    Time reality kicked in and the regulators allow the mergers to create the radio landscape that should have been developed years ago.
    Actually it's about time reality kicked in and stopped Global from creating these networks with minimum local content, repetitive player lists and presenters that aren't aloud to show their personality. In my opinion it's the diarrhea of radio
  • MusicmasterproxMusicmasterprox Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kierankay wrote: »
    Actually it's about time reality kicked in and stopped Global from creating these networks with minimum local content, repetitive player lists and presenters that aren't aloud to show their personality. In my opinion it's the diarrhea of radio

Capital sounds like the radio alternative as tinned meat.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, a nice bit of Global bashing on a Saturday night. Who needs Jackpot69 when there's a conveyor belt of tripe to post.
  • richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,892
    Forum Member
    For pop music radio i like Capital. A larger playlist would be preferred, in fact a playlist comprising their's and Radio 2's A, B and C lists would make it the perfect pop station. Just R'n'B gets pretty boring after a while.
  • leddersledders Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, a nice bit of Global bashing on a Saturday night. Who needs Jackpot69 when there's a conveyor belt of tripe to post.

Are you serious??

People are bashing it because they are replacing decent quality radio with the crap that they churn out in the name of heart.

When will the likes of you learn that people don't want this rubbish!! Probably never.
  • richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,892
    Forum Member
    ledders wrote: »
    Are you serious??

When will the likes of you learn that people don't want this rubbish!! Probably never.

In fact Ledders, most people do want it! It's just the likes of you, Martin and me that look for other things. I was no big fan of our local stations since 1983, I was listening to Irish pirate radio: Nova/Q102/Sunshine, then Dutch, French and German stations. Now I'm relatively happy with Gold (I'd prefer a wider playlist), Magic 1548 (I'd like it to be tighter and (NEW) no modern songs!), MAR and Biggles FM -the last two satisfying my desire to hear less often played songs. Great radio is out there... if you choose to look!
    Forum Member
    In fact Ledders, most people do want it! It's just the likes of you, Martin and me that look for other things. I was no big fan of our local stations since 1983, I was listening to Irish pirate radio: Nova/Q102/Sunshine, then Dutch, French and German stations. Now I'm relatively happy with Gold (I'd prefer a wider playlist), Magic 1548 (I'd like it to be tighter and (NEW) no modern songs!), MAR and Biggles FM -the last two satisfying my desire to hear less often played songs. Great radio is out there... if you choose to look!

Capital and Heart are good for a quick dose ot the hits, a wee bit of chat and to keep in the loop with what's going on. That's it. And to be fair, that's all they're designed for. They have millions of listeners so people clearly do want this type of radio.

There's never been a bigger choice of radio, TV, podcasts and other media out there to choose from. I wish the people bleating about an alleged lack of choice would recognise how lucky they are and go out and find it.

And as a result of this choice newspapers and radio can't possibly afford to run at the same costs as they used to. When there was just one station in each area and only the local newspaper for competition they'd be raking it in. That's definitely not the way it is these days. They're still producing quality radio stations but the style, and the amount of outgoings, has to be reduced. That's the cost of extra choice.

1980s/early 1990s one local radio station and the BBC versus a multitude of stations, the entire world wide web, digital TV, a lot of which you can carry about - there's no competition.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    Capital and Heart are good for a quick dose ot the hits, a wee bit of chat and to keep in the loop with what's going on. That's it. And to be fair, that's all they're designed for. They have millions of listeners so people clearly do want this type of radio.

There's never been a bigger choice of radio, TV, podcasts and other media out there to choose from. I wish the people bleating about an alleged lack of choice would recognise how lucky they are and go out and find it.

And as a result of this choice newspapers and radio can't possibly afford to run at the same costs as they used to. When there was just one station in each area and only the local newspaper for competition they'd be raking it in. That's definitely not the way it is these days. They're still producing quality radio stations but the style, and the amount of outgoings, has to be reduced. That's the cost of extra choice.

1980s/early 1990s one local radio station and the BBC versus a multitude of stations, the entire world wide web, digital TV, a lot of which you can carry about - there's no competition.

You can repeat it ad nauseum, but the bashers will continue to defy logic and moan about the 'evil' Global empire with the same gusto as the output that some of their brands are accused of providing.
  • HitmusicHitmusic Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are also some of the responses published on the Competition Commission website:

http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/our-work/global-radio-gmg-merger-inquiry/evidence/responses-to-provisional-findings-report-and-notice-of-possible-remedies

The responses so far include some local advertisers in support of Global. Someone's been lobbying!
  • SmartProgrammerSmartProgrammer Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    The responses so far include some local advertisers in support of Global.
    Because it makes good business sense. It's only the anoraks who are up in arms.
  • Peace100Peace100 Posts: 3,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitmusic wrote: »

This won't be accepted, the CC don't even consider Gold on AM and XS are two smallish FM stations, small fry compared to the rest of the takeover.....
    Forum Member
    Hitmusic wrote: »

Simply a good starting point in negotiations. That's no criticism of Global, they're playing this out correctly.

I can't imagine the CC will accept this. Then the likes of Smooth and the situation in Wales will no doubt come into play.
  • Dixie Scott 106Dixie Scott 106 Posts: 11,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does todays news mean that Real is more likely to stay or go