Options

The state of Louisiana calls for a United Ireland

irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Louisiana-legislature-calls-for-a-United-Ireland-and-for-US-to-help-achieve-it--222500881.html?mob-ua=Y
Louisiana legislature calls for a United Ireland and for U.S. to help achieve it

Resolutions passed across the United States in seven other assemblies also.

"To urge and request the Government of the United States of America to immediately take all appropriate steps to assist in the unification of Ireland."

These are the opening words of a Concurrent Resolution passed by the Louisiana State Legislature on May 16th this year, which was introduced by State Representative Steve Pugh from Ponchatoula, Louisiana. An earlier resolution was passed by the State Senate on April 17th, authored by State Senator Edwin Murray from New Orleans. The resolutions note that, "the time has come to bring about a seamless resolution of the partition of Ireland in favour of a more united, sovereign nation that guarantees equal rights and equal opportunities for all its citizens."

Louisiana becomes the eighth State to pass such a resolution in support of Irish Unity in the full Legislature or at State Senate level.

Earlier this year Resolutions were passed by the Pennsylvania State Senate and the Florida State Senate, which are now going to the full legislature in both States. A resolution was also passed in March by Baltimore City Council which the proposers are working to get introduced at Maryland State level.

Fifteen cities in the United States have so far passed resolutions supporting Irish Unity as well as a number of Municipalities and Counties.

In Massachusetts, in addition to the full state legislature, six cities have passed resolutions. In New York, the State Senate and the State capital, Albany, have successfully introduced resolutions as well as Buffalo, while a proclamation was issued by Syracuse. California and Rhode Island State Senates have also passed resolutions.

The full legislature of New Jersey was one of the first States to endorse unity as the best future for Ireland as well as towns and municipalities.

The work of the main Irish American organisations, particularly the Hibernians and the Irish American Unity Conference, is evident in the steady spread of resolutions across America.

The interest in and support for a new Ireland, for the vision of an Ireland that can truly embrace all her citizens in peace, justice and equality is evident in these resolutions.

The resolutions passed from Massachusetts to Louisiana, from Pennsylvania to California, quote the Good Friday Agreement that they helped to achieve in pointing to a new future on the island of Ireland.

So what do all of you fine people make of this? ... obviously elections must be on the way and Irish Americans are being targeted :) ... or does Louisiana actually care about this little rock floating in the north Atlantic?

Comments

• Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we should take back America and rule it with an iron fist, who's with me?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    I think we should take back America and rule it with an iron fist, who's with me?
    There might be a hint that they like to keep the world in check but this doesn't seem to make sense at all, if anything its a slight put down of Britain.
  • Options
    Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know how to reunite Ireland lets invade the south and we can all be British yes :eek::p
  • Options
    ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should get O'Bama to look at it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know how to reunite Ireland lets invade the south and we can all be British yes :eek::p
    Make it a republic and either Cork, Dublin or Belfast the capital and we'll talk :) haha
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    There might be a hint that they like to keep the world in check but this doesn't seem to make sense at all, if anything its a slight put down of Britain.

I think they might be angry we aren't going to help them bomb tf out of Syria.
  • Options
    Dr.  OtterblandDr. Otterbland Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Louisiana Legislature has obviously way too much time on it's hands.

How about they outlaw The Mullet, Miley Cirus, and the wearing of trainers and baseball caps when over 65 ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they might be angry we aren't going to help them bomb tf out of Syria.
    It was brought to the house to be voted on in May so its hardly anything like that.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought we should have just set a date when we return NI to EIRE. Lot's of notice, 25- 30 yrs.

Otherwise it will never happen.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It makes no odds what any states in America thinks or doesn't think - until a Northern Ireland politician has the guts to put a vote to the people who actually live in Northern Ireland, nothing's going to change.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought we should have just set a date when we return NI to EIRE. Lot's of notice, 25- 30 yrs.

Otherwise it will never happen.
    2024 according to Star Trek. :)
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    It makes no odds what any states in America thinks or doesn't think - until a Northern Ireland politician has the guts to put a vote to the people who actually live in Northern Ireland, nothing's going to change.

Sinn Fein have been calling for that for a while. They ought to be careful what they wish for as they could be surprised at the outcome.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sinn Fein was ranting and raving about holding a vote about 6 months ago ... It is beyond me why the DUP didn't hold one and put the issue to bed for 50+ years... Not having a vote has actually let the door slightly open for the possibility of a UI imo.
  • Options
    ChapwithwingsChapwithwings Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, only 21% were in favour when asked a few years back and I doubt much has changed since then
  • Options
    KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    Louisiana is just a little state no one listens to ;)

In all seriousness, I've given their plan serious thought while drinking my can of coke and I've come to the conclusion that we should retake America but we'll leave Louisiana (who would want it?).
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I think that yanks would do well to ask themselves how much they'd care if the population of Britain decided to come up with some "helpful" suggestions about how the USA should be run.

Cos, y'know, that's probably about how much we care what they think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are constantly telling other countries what to do, don't think its any different when the tables are turned
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Louisiana Legislature has obviously way too much time on it's hands.

How about they outlaw The Mullet, Miley Cirus, and the wearing of trainers and baseball caps when over 65 ?

That would be more Alabama, Kentucky and Tennessee than Louisiana.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    irishfeen wrote: »
    http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Louisiana-legislature-calls-for-a-United-Ireland-and-for-US-to-help-achieve-it--222500881.html?mob-ua=Y

So what do all of you fine people make of this? ... obviously elections must be on the way and Irish Americans are being targeted :) ... or does Louisiana actually care about this little rock floating in the north Atlantic?

It is wholly non-constructive and meddlesome. I'd like to see closer and more constructive relations and economic cooperation between the UK and the Republic of Ireland and in particular between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland but resolutions by ill-informed foreigners won't help that process one bit.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has the state of Louisiana ever sorted out New Orleans after the hurricane? If not, they really shouldn't be talking about other countries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KIIS102 wrote: »
    Louisiana is just a little state no one listens to ;)

In all seriousness, I've given their plan serious thought while drinking my can of coke and I've come to the conclusion that we should retake America but we'll leave Louisiana (who would want it?).

France might want it? We could sell it back to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is wholly non-constructive and meddlesome. I'd like to see closer and more constructive relations and economic cooperation between the UK and the Republic of Ireland and in particular between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland but resolutions by ill-informed foreigners won't help that process one bit.
    Totally agree with you... it is funny though, it must be one of the most irrelevant pieces of legislation I have ever seen ... granted I do want a UI someday and faird used for the support but christ they surly have more important things to be doing :)
  • Options
    KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    France might want it? We could sell it back to them.

Oh good idea, we'll let them have it for some of their women. Fair trade if you ask me.
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    It should be up to the people that live there.

It's nobody else's business, especially Louisiana's.
  • Options
    kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    interestingly, gay marriage and civil unions are illegal in Louisiana, and LGBT have no legal protection from discrimination.

Presumably it doesn't feel that its concern for Irish citizens to be guaranteed "....equal rights and equal opportunities for all its citizens" should extend to its own gay citizens who wish to marry; nor to its own LGBT citizens whose rights are not protected under the state's hate crimes law.