Does anyone experience hypnic jerks?

intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
Forum Member
I do and I hate them! I only just found out the name for them today. From wiki:
A hypnic jerk, hypnagogic jerk, sleep start, sleep twitch or night start, is an involuntary twitch which occurs just as a person is beginning to fall asleep, often causing them to awaken suddenly for a moment. Physically, hypnic jerks resemble the "jump" experienced by a person when startled, often accompanied by a falling sensation. Hypnic jerks are associated with a rapid heartbeat, quickened breathing, sweat, and sometimes "a peculiar sensory feeling of 'shock' or 'falling into the void.'"

and
The evolutionary explanation for the existence of the hypnic jerk remains unclear, but one possibility is that it is a vestigial reflex humans evolved when they usually slept in trees. Thus, experiencing a hypnic jerk prior to falling asleep may have been selected so that the individual would be able to readjust their sleeping position in the tree to prevent a fall from occurring.

Comments

• lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Glastonbury is full of them every year!
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

and

I thought everyone had them from time to time?

Ergh, I hate them.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Hypnic = "hippy beatnik", right?
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i hate them. i also get sudden jerks when i`m awake.
  • PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,794
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Glastonbury is full of them every year!

Haha, brilliant:D
  • Mitu_PappiMitu_Pappi Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love them. Especially the feeling of absolute relief that it was all a dream. Just love it.
  • James_MayJames_May Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, but I do seem to suffer with an acute onset of myoclonic jerks whenever someone starts to irritate me.

That's what I blame it on anyway. :)
  • The SnowmanThe Snowman Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the time. It freaks me out and I get agitated for a few minutes. It's a terrible feeling, been the hypochondriac that I am I think i am having a heart attack or something.
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Yes I have these, I might just about to be falling asleep, I dream I am walking and suddenly trip up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    yea..i have them too..Sometimes i nodding off in front of the tv it happens :o
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Yes, it's like a falling sensation just as you're going to sleep. It's not pleasant.
  • Random42Random42 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I get them quite frequently.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

and
    Yes.
    They're annoying but I've gotten used to them.
    I wonder if they're visible to others??
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    Paul McKenna? Dont know him.
  • The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i hate them. i also get sudden jerks when i`m awake.

Restless legs syndrome is very uncomfortable
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    The FBI wrote: »
    Restless legs syndrome is very uncomfortable

it`s not my legs, it`s most often my arms, i have been known to fling what i`m holding at the time :blush: it`s like a big violent twitch.
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    another strange one is falling asleep while still semi conscious, as in starting to dream when still awake. that one feels really weird :kitty:
  • MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it makes me cross with myself.
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    I've had them

I'm getting it when awake atm, it's annoying
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    They're annoying. Especially when you're having trouble getting to sleep. You're finally almost there then are 'woken' up!
  • NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Usually seem to appear when I am really exhausted or deprived of sleep from prior nights.
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    another strange one is falling asleep while still semi conscious, as in starting to dream when still awake. that one feels really weird :kitty:

That often happens to me when I'm playing Solitaire on my Kindle. I seem to doze off and jerk awake but still playing the game!

Yes, I get those falling jerks just as I'm dropping off. Excuse the pun. It's usually a horrible feeling of falling down the kerb of a pavement. I thought it was just me till I read about it on here. I also wake up suddenly with a horrible noise in my ears: it's me, snoring.:D
  • Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe because people are afraid of sleeping? afraid of the dark?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    silversox wrote: »
    That often happens to me when I'm playing Solitaire on my Kindle. I seem to doze off and jerk awake but still playing the game!

Yes, I get those falling jerks just as I'm dropping off. Excuse the pun. It's usually a horrible feeling of falling down the kerb of a pavement. I thought it was just me till I read about it on here. I also wake up suddenly with a horrible noise in my ears: it's me, snoring.:D

or falling off a cliff :o
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    Yes I get them, it's not a nice feeling! I also hear knocking, bells ringingand people talking just as I'm dozing off too, which is even weirder.