Options

channels on Freesat which could come to Freeview?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    Geographically no increase .. Number of receivers a great increase ..

Doesn't mean any of them are going to watch it :D

And not that great an increase anyway, as there's probably 20/25 million satellite receivers in use in the UK - any of your proposed 'increase' could already watch it if they wished.
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ewell motors TV quoted massive increases just from the IP based channels so I suspect even more would watch now via com7. Maybe there is a market on freeview for these channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    clewsy wrote: »
    Ewell motors TV quoted massive increases just from the IP based channels so I suspect even more would watch now via com7. Maybe there is a market on freeview for these channels.

Maybe?, but the massive expense of Freeview means it's probably not worthwhile?.
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    What would be the point?, Freesat already had far greater coverage at a fraction of the cost - Com7/8 would cost a great deal more, and provide no increase in coverage.

Well if that's the logic, why bother with Freeview at all?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    What would be the point?, Freesat already had far greater coverage at a fraction of the cost - Com7/8 would cost a great deal more, and provide no increase in coverage.
    Freeview has the advantage of providing local covetage and tapping into the huge advertising market of local business .
    Plus the cost is very low if the correct engineering know how is applied , it is much lower than Freesat.
    Plus Wi Fi can be easily integrated .
    It's a no brainier , what happened to the great engineering inovation we use to have .
    We were the first with TV broadcast ,computers , Jet engines , just about most modern inventions .
    It's about time this country got together to lead the world in technoligy and inovation and not allow China to do it .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Plus the cost is very low if the correct engineering know how is applied , it is much lower than Freesat.

Presumably you mean for the customer?, NOT the broadcaster, where it's MUCH more expensive.
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I though com7 was fairly reasonable on pricing and must be similar to sat. Again usinga Motors TV answer to a question they said the financial choice was HD or Freeview and they choose freeview and it was doing well.

So from that we can assume the costs of broadcast on these new multiplexes must be similar.
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,246
    Forum Member
    I'm sure this has been asked before RT(HD) is an obvious candidate.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe?, but the massive expense of Freeview means it's probably not worthwhile?.

I can see a lot of small/niche channels using the internet to obtain a cheaper Freeview presence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can see a lot of small/niche channels using the internet to obtain a cheaper Freeview presence.

Except that wouldn't be on Freeview, it would be on the Internet?.

Just the same as BT have Internet channels on YouView, no one claims (or imagines) those are on Freeview.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except that wouldn't be on Freeview, it would be on the Internet?.

Just the same as BT have Internet channels on YouView, no one claims (or imagines) those are on Freeview.

I suspect that most people aren't interested in the method of delivery, they'll just see a channel or programme that takes their fancy and tune into it on the EPG.

Non enthusiasts won't know or care how it gets onto their screen.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    The argument over calling the platform Freeview or DTT is a boat that sailed many years ago and the provision of programming via the internet only serves further to muddy the waters. You can take the view that any channel that appears on the Freeview EPG is a Freeview channel whether it is free or subscription or whether served via a terrestrial aerial or via a broadband connection. I, for one, have stopped picking people up on this except where necessary to clarify and help people with problems.