What should happen to the House of Lords?

ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I used to rail against the undemocratic nature of this institution, but now I don't think the alternatives are viable.

What should happen to the House of Lords? 76 votes

Keep it as it is
19% 15 votes
Fully elected
35% 27 votes
Hybrid - half elected, half appointed
10% 8 votes
Abolish it
34% 26 votes

Comments

• PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ustarion wrote: »
    I used to rail against the undemocratic nature of this institution, but now I don't think the alternatives are viable.

You think a second chambner that is full of people given that privalige by MPs is good :o:o:o
  • ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    You think a second chambner that is full of people given that privalige by MPs is good :o:o:o

They are experts in a variety of fields and don't get a salary.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd keep it similar to what it is, buty make appoints based on success or expertise in certain fields, and bar ex-MP's/ministers/senior civil servents from being appointed so that the HOL is truely independent and not filled with political stooges and party donors. Being a Lord woiuld be their only job as well, they'd have to give up their former career.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

no they're not. They're basically people who are ex-mps or people who pay political parties lots of money.
  • GormagonGormagon Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    I'd keep it similar to what it is, buty make appoints based on success or expertise in certain fields, and bar ex-MP's/ministers/senior civil servents from being appointed so that the HOL is truely independent and not filled with political stooges and party donors. Being a Lord woiuld be their only job as well, they'd have to give up their former career.

I think there is a lot of merit in this. However, I don't think it would be sustainable as their only job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    no they're not. They're basically people who are ex-mps or people who pay political parties lots of money.

There are nearly 800 Peers. Many of whom are experts in their fields. None of whom draw a salary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »

Why would anyone want to give up their job just to be a Lord?
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    There are nearly 800 Peers. Many of whom are experts in their fields. None of whom draw a salary.

Washed up and defeated MPs and old celebrities getting £300/day. Bishops with no legislative experience. People with the right genes. Need I go on?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Washed up and defeated MPs and old celebrities getting £300/day. Bishops with no legislative experience. People with the right genes. Need I go on?

Really? that is your understanding of the House of Lords.
    Forum Member
    Gormagon wrote: »
    Really? that is your understanding of the House of Lords.

Can you defend hereditary peers, bishops or Alistair Darling? What about Alan Sugar or Tory Party donors? Joan Bakewell and Jeffrey Archer?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can you defend hereditary peers, bishops or Alistair Darling? What about Alan Sugar or Tory Party donors? Joan Bakewell and Jeffrey Archer?

Hereditary no, Bishops no ( i don't do religion, but respect their moral position) , Alan Sugar no, but he has never been a successful businessman, Joan Bakewell yes, and Yef ARcher yes.

And Alistair Darling, for being a ****ign incompetent local edinburgh laywer to the highest level of government, his fiscal case was more sensible than Gordon Browns.

Be under no illusion. I quantify Alan Sugar as noting but a salesman, not a business man.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wouldn't call Lord Winston a defeated MP or old celebrity. You don't need legislative experience to contribute to the debate. Hereditary peers have been stripped back to about 92/800.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You could get the same effect using the jury service system and say limiting the pool to pensioners
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    You could get the same effect using the jury service system and say limiting the pool to pensioners

A valid point.
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,585
    Forum Member

Why on earth do we need a second chamber with nearly 800 members? The whole principle of an unelected bunch of people mostly appointed by politicians or by privilege goes against the whole principle of democracy. Our politicos are quick to point the finger at other countries about how they hold elections yet this relic of history still sits at the centre of our supposedly democratic system. An elected second chamber and an elected head of state is the way to go for the 21st century IMO.
    Any politician who moans about unelected faceless people in the EU making decisions regarding UK law should then also make the same complaint about our second chamber.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Why on earth do we need a second chamber with nearly 800 members? The whole principle of an unelected bunch of people mostly appointed by politicians or by privilege goes against the whole principle of democracy. Our politicos are quick to point the finger at other countries about how they hold elections yet this relic of history still sits at the centre of our supposedly democratic system. An elected second chamber and an elected head of state is the way to go for the 21st century IMO.
    Any politician who moans about unelected faceless people in the EU making decisions regarding UK law should then also make the same complaint about our second chamber.

How exactly would this work?
    Forum Member
    How exactly would this work?

I would imagine the same way it works in the US and lots of other countries. Not rocket science.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    I would imagine the same way it works in the US and lots of other countries. Not rocket science.

In the US Senators represent a whole state and Representatives, districts.

The UK is about the size of one average sized US state.

See this is the problem - easy to say it should be elected, but in practice this proves a lot more difficult.
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't call Lord Winston a defeated MP or old celebrity. You don't need legislative experience to contribute to the debate. Hereditary peers have been stripped back to about 92/800.

Well done on finding an exception. The type of person who should be contributing to legislation on fertility. However, why should he have the right to influence the Scotland act or EVEL, or even defence procurement?
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    A limit on the number of peers should be brought in and if their knowledge is to be their saving then it should be acknowledged officially by some means. If they can't justify themselves being there, then out they go.
    Forum Member
    In the US Senators represent a whole state and Representatives, districts.

The UK is about the size of one average sized US state.

See this is the problem - easy to say it should be elected, but in practice this proves a lot more difficult.

You are looking for a problem which really is not there. Are you saying it is beyond the wit of man to devise a fair system to elect to a second chamber?
  • nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Some (a minority) of them do get a salary, infact its actually mentioned on the parliament website
    In the absence of salary they are also aloud to claim attendance allowance and travel expenses.. the former being £300 per day last I looked.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would anyone want to give up their job just to be a Lord?

Make it a paid appointment, and they['re to carry out their duties they wouldn't have time for working elsewhere. At the moment a lot of Lords are political appointments and only turn up when there party wants them to vote for or against something, or if they want the daily expenses, or are made Lords for favours/donations given or because the government think they'll be popular with the public cause they're famous or won something in sport, without being any actual use to the HOL and just swan about with the honour usually appointed with the catch all services to, or because it is their turn.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Keep it as it is but with significant reforms.

I don't want it to be elected as it would end up being packed with career politicians... and what with Commons, National Assembly, county council, Europe etc we have enough bloody elections already.

There should be a cap on HoL membership, and a ban on new PMs instantly filling it with cronies. Also a ban on party donors becoming peers as this makes the patronage look corrupt.
    Membership should be by appointment and should be bestowed on eminent people in different fields e.g Law, education, scientific research, health etc.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

A chamber which is fully elected owes patronage to those who elect it - if the same as the lower chamber then that will effect it's ability to be a proper reviewing chamber. If different then that will potentially lead to paralysis as the two chambers have an equal democratic right to express an opinion on legislation.

A chamber which is entirely appointed owes patronage to the person who appointed it.

A chamber where people are appointed on merit in an open process, where the government of the day cannot remove a member - is able to look at legislation dispassionately and with the experience to properly assess it's merits or otherwise - can review legislation properly.

I'm with you - for all it's faults, the current system is the best.